Other composers envious of Shore?

gkgyver

Do you think there was or is envy by fellow composers that Shore got the gig as a relatively unknown composer compared to the Williams and Horners and Goldsmiths of that era, and got that famous?

I just remember Harry Gregson Williams being somewhat dismissive about Shore's work when asked about his Narnia score, and Narnia's parallels to Middle-Earth.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I've observed, no composer worth their salt is going to waste time with petty bullshit like that.  You almost definitely don't get to succeed if you have the sort of personality that's prone to that kind of thing, because no one will want to work with you.  I reckon whatever HGW said wasn't even truly "dismissive."  He's a very affable guy.

Being prickly and principled or whatever (Jerry, Herrmann) is one thing, but professional jealousy is shooting yourself in the foot.

While Shore wasnt a big name film composer back than like Williams or Horner, he had already made quite a name for himself as the to-go-to guy for difficult psychological subject matter. Even if he wasnt selling albums by the millions or racking up the Oscars I doubt he was being dismissed as a nobody. His work for Cronenberg alone, and (comparatively) high profile works like Silence Of The Lambs and Se7en speaks volumes.

16 hours ago, Stefancos said:

While Shore wasnt a big name film composer back than like Williams or Horner, he had already made quite a name for himself as the to-go-to guy for difficult psychological subject matter. Even if he wasnt selling albums by the millions or racking up the Oscars I doubt he was being dismissed as a nobody. His work for Cronenberg alone, and (comparatively) high profile works like Silence Of The Lambs and Se7en speaks volumes.

I didn't say he was unknown in general. I said he was unknown compared to others, especially considering the subject.

18 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

I think that was in the interview where he said he thought Jerry Goldsmith's Star Trek: The Motion Picture sounded like "a person wandering aimlessly in the dark in a room full of instruments and hitting them randomly".

Fuck Shore!

The source of the HGW comments. He's still a dickhead in my Book of Revelations. And of course Chris Tilton couldn't help but being a condescending ******* over the music, Shore or anybody who liked it.

CC: Now, I'll ask a question that I'm sure many film music fan's have thought about. Inevitably, people are going to compare what Howard Shore did for THE LORD OF THE RINGS trilogy and what Harry Gregson-Williams has done for NARNIA.

HGW: What was that like, by the way?

CC: The score for THE LORD OF THE RINGS?

HGW: Yes. Nothing really stuck out to me. I doubt really recall any of the different themes or different textures. I think he used a lot of brass or something? Since I don't own any of the soundtracks to those movies, they certainly weren't my starting point or my finishing point. I certainly respect Howard Shore and he certainly did a good job, but it was never on my mind. I never thought I want to do this or that like him. I'm just not familiar enough with what he did actually.

CC: I see! So you were being facetious about not knowing much about Howard Shore's score!

HGW: Ha! No. Not at all!

I agree with BloodBoal's sensible post.

But the statement SUH underlined does seem to indicate he wasn't that fond of what he recollected, and it wasn't necessarily expressed in the most respectful way. Especially in an industry which dictates a certain level of subtlety, where even the slightest comment against your colleagues is generally frowned upon.

3 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

He's British. You can't expect him to express in a subtle way how he felt about the music!

Brits have no taste in film music, look at Nicholas Hooper.

Lol, so THAT is the HGW quote that some found objectionable?  Is there a language barrier issue or something preventing the reading of it in the proper tone - that is, dry British snark and not earnest puzzlement/derision?

7 hours ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Lol, so THAT is the HGW quote that some found objectionable?  Is there a language barrier issue or something preventing the reading of it in the proper tone - that is, dry British snark and not earnest puzzlement/derision?

The language barrier is between HGW and music.

:pat:

And...

19 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

So he isn't allowed to have an opinion? He isn't allowed to say it didn't make a big impression on him?

Anyway, I interpret his comment more like: "Why are you talking to me about a score by some other guy? Why aren't you asking me about that score I just wrote? No, I didn't take inspiration from it, thank you very much. End of story." than a real "Oh, Shore's LOTR? That was shit, man. Like really bad shit."

Maybe the way he phrased his answer sound clumsy and unrespectful to you, but no need to bring out the pitchforks and torches. Why do you care anyway how he feels about those scores? Does it change your appreciation of them? No? Then why be irritated by his comment? Some people just don't care much about something you love. Deal with it!

This.

Ye gods.

I suppose it's time to accept that this subforum simply won't continue to exist with any real substance beyond the occasional dredging up of hollow controversy through forced misreadings.

On 11/03/2017 at 1:40 PM, SafeUnderHill said:

I really like composers who show humility. John Williams is a fine example, and doesn't even bash modern composers like Zimmer. 

That's because he's so far above Mr. Zimmer, that JW's shit dissolves on the way down, before it even reaches him. You can't bash, what you can't see.

3 hours ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Ye gods.

I suppose it's time to accept that this subforum simply won't continue to exist with any real substance beyond the occasional dredging up of hollow controversy through forced misreadings.

I find that the best Middle-Earth discussion happens outside of this subforum anyway.

3 hours ago, gkgyver said:

If nothing sticks out at you listening to a LotR score, you're either not very honest, or stupid.

Nothing (or very little) sticks out at me when listening to the OT.

Some people just aren't into Shore's music. Get over it.

4 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

Nothing (or very little) sticks out at me when listening to the OT.

Some people just aren't into Shore's music. Get over it.

Some people just don't have good taste.

SafeUnderHill,

I never said that HZ's music is "garbage". Far from it. Its just that, to my ears at least, JW is in a completely different class. I will, however, and for the sake of harbouring good relations between JWfaners, "bottle the acid".

Amity, as you know, means "friendship" :D

19 hours ago, KK said:

I find that the best Middle-Earth discussion happens outside of this subforum anyway.

I'm coming to Canada later this year, so perhaps I ought to swing by and we can have discussions without any kind of plebs. And over Guinness. Or something. ;)

3 minutes ago, Kühni said:

I'm coming to Canada later this year, so perhaps I ought to swing by and we can have discussions without any kind of plebs. And over Guinness. Or something. ;)

Well, about bloody time! Do make a stop in Toronto! We have much to discuss old friend!