Are people aware of this Millennium Celebration broadcast w/ Unfinished Journey?

Will

If so, then of course the thread can be closed or merged. 

But I was ecstatic when I saw this because I didn't think any original video existed! All I'd known of was the abridged Pops one on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNFSi2nUDag).

Of the actual contents of the broadcast: Wow. What an experience it must have been to be there that night. Truly beautiful. Magical. I love when Williams conducts at major, historic events. 

I had never been sure if Williams actually conducted the orchestra live but this broadcast makes it clear that he did (although they might be "lip-syncing" so to speak). The video ended with Maya Angelou reading a beautiful original poem, then Bill Clinton came on to speak. Williams' music made a return, with Civil Rights and the Women's Movement played over the end of the speech, and then the massive Flight and Technology was unleashed as the new millennium began and fireworks rocketed into the sky over the Mall. 

The video's from the Clinton Presidential Library archives. 

Unfinished Journey segment starts at 1:07:20. 

I can really see now how JW was inspired to write some of the most "epic" (and just plain great!) music of his career. 

One question I do have: What's the deal with "Popular Entertainment"? Unless the broadcast cuts it out, it wasn't in the film. Was it cut at the last minute after scoring, or did Williams write it later to beef up the concert suite? Or something else?

Further relevant info:

Schedule of Events: https://clinton4.nara.gov/WH/New/html/mil-sked.html

Angelou's poem text: http://www.afropoets.net/mayaangelou11.html

I am not sure who is reading the rest of the poetry and literature, but it's probably two of the people listed in that "Schedule of Events" document near the bottom. 

@Thor, you've written in the past here that Bill Clinton narrated it, but that doesn't sound like him. Perhaps there was some confusion because Clinton did give a speech right after, some of which was backed by some Unfinished Journey score. 

well , yeah, the original JWfan elders watched it and discussed it on the primordial message board, back when our founder Ricard was still in his human form. I don't think you were born yet

At the time , we were cursing Angela Mayou speaking over the music because the c.d. didn't  exist yet.

Yes, I remember discussing this way back when. I had it on a DVD-R in the early 2000s (still have it), and then it was subsequently put on Youtube shortly after Youtube started. But nice to see the whole thing up on Youtube again!

1 minute ago, king mark said:

you tube didn;t even exist?

Not, not back then. Hence the DVD-R. But I remember it being put up not that long after Youtube came; 2006 or thereabouts.

13 hours ago, Will said:

One question I do have: What's the deal with "Popular Entertainment"? Unless the broadcast cuts it out, it wasn't in the film. Was it cut at the last minute after scoring, or did Williams write it later to beef up the concert suite? Or something else?

The "Arts and Sports" segment wasn't in the original broadcast. I first heard it during the 2001 Oscar ceremony, when Williams conducted it early in the show.

Actually, I've wondered if this was added later on, because if you play the American Journey without "Arts and Sports", it plays almost perfectly. I don't have the CD with me, but I do believe the sessions for American Journey come from December 1999, and the shorter works were recorded at a later date, which might very well have included "Arts and Sports".

On 3/6/2017 at 10:58 AM, Miguel Andrade said:

The "Arts and Sports" segment wasn't in the original broadcast. I first heard it during the 2001 Oscar ceremony, when Williams conducted it early in the show.

Actually, I've wondered if this was added later on, because if you play the American Journey without "Arts and Sports", it plays almost perfectly. I don't have the CD with me, but I do believe the sessions for American Journey come from December 1999, and the shorter works were recorded at a later date, which might very well have included "Arts and Sports".

Interesting. This is info I found online from here, applying to the American Journey tracks from the official CD as well as some others: http://www.jw-collection.de/classical.htm

Recorded at Sony Pictures Studios, Culver City, California
December 9-10, 1999 and June 19-20, 2000

Just wondering - do we know the story behind this? What I mean is, did Williams write the exact version we hear in the video for the film, and then later expand some bits and add "Arts and Sports" for concerts? Did he write the version as heard on the CD first, and then Spielberg had to make some edits for the film? Etc. 

That other listed on Markus website was done by myself, based on the video of the broadcast that was available on-line back then. I think he lists the movements incorrectly though. 

There was an article from December 1999 were Spielberg mentioned he skipped Kirk Douglas birthday party or something like that to attend the recording sessions. Those were done prior to the show in December 31. My assumption all this time has been that the original version was like the one performed live, and then Williams added the extra segment to it. Maybe he had composed at the same time as the rest but then Spielberg preferred one to the other... Maybe it was somethung he wrote later on, and recorded in the 2000 sessions.

10 hours ago, Miguel Andrade said:

That other listed on Markus website was done by myself, based on the video of the broadcast that was available on-line back then. I think he lists the movements incorrectly though. 

There was an article from December 1999 were Spielberg mentioned he skipped Kirk Douglas birthday party or something like that to attend the recording sessions. Those were done prior to the show in December 31. My assumption all this time has been that the original version was like the one performed live, and then Williams added the extra segment to it. Maybe he had composed at the same time as the rest but then Spielberg preferred one to the other... Maybe it was somethung he wrote later on, and recorded in the 2000 sessions.

The reason I ask is because there is material, even outside of "Arts and Sports," that's heard in the concert version but not in the film. See here for perhaps the most obvious example of "missing music" in the film:

Also, do you know whether this is the National Symphony Orchestra performing?

At the time, this was called something like The Millennium Orchestra or similar. Williams said in an interview that it was in fact the Baltimore Symphony. He wanted to bring in the Boston Symphony but they were already scheduled for a Pops New Year's concert.