THE POST - FILM Thread

Alex

That's at least 3 Oscar nominations in the bag. Is this his post-RPO, pre-Indy V drama? He could probably shoot early next year for a late 2018 release.

Woah!!!!!!!!! :woop:

Obviously, this is unlikely to explore any new ground for Williams, but then what is these days? 

I'm just ultimately so excited for this project as the story of the Pentagon Papers is a terrific one, and of course, most of all, it will mean another JW score!!!

I do find it interesting that this will supposedly explore the Washington Post's story, even though it was the New York Times that published the first batch of info. I've definitely read a lot about the NYT's role but I can't remember much about the Post's. 

I'm quite interested in newspapers so this will have a lot of significance for me. 

1 minute ago, Will said:

I wonder if this is Spielberg's reaction to Trump (view on media). 

That's all fine and good but I wish he would do it in the form of an awesome action movie, ala George Bush/Minority Report.

According to Deadline, this is moving forward before Edgardo Mortara?! I thought that film was gearing up to shoot in the next month or two?

They’ll fit this into Spielberg’s busy schedule soonest. Among others, he has been casting The Kidnapping of Edgardo Mortara, which will star Mark Rylance and Oscar Isaac. Spielberg is in post-production on Ready Player One.

http://deadline.com/2017/03/steven-spielberg-tom-hanks-meryl-streep-pentagon-papers-the-post-amy-pascal-1202034193/

Interesting....could just be confusing phrasing.

I wonder when he's planning to shoot Indy 5. Spring-Summer 2018? Does a little over a year leave enough time between now and then to shoot and complete both this and Mortara and finish post on RPO?

3 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

Interesting....could just be confusing phrasing.

I wonder when he's planning to shoot Indy 5. Spring-Summer 2018? Does a little over a year leave enough time between now and then to shoot and complete both this and Mortara and finish post on RPO?

From October 2016:

http://collider.com/indiana-jones-5-george-lucas-david-koepp/#steven-spielberg

Koepp declined to reveal the origin of this particular story idea, only saying that it was hatched by he and Spielberg. With regards to when filming might begin, Koepp is hopeful for 2017 but is also aware that Spielberg’s a busy guy:

“That’s a tough one, I hope so. It’s certainly OK for me and I’ll be ready, but my schedule isn’t the tough one. So I think October—I hope, I hope so. We’ll see. That’s a hard one to answer.”

Spielberg just wrapped filming on his highly anticipated sci-fi adaptation Ready Player One and is poised to start filming the true story drama The Kidnapping of Edgardo Mortara early next year with Mark Rylance and Oscar Isaac starring, so with Mortara production and post-production taking up the bulk of 2017, it may be tough to get Indiana Jones 5 going next year. Regardless, the sequel has already been dated by Disney for release on July 19, 2019 so they’ve certainly got some time.

6 minutes ago, Will said:

So what if it's Mortara from like April-June, then that goes through post in the summer while finishing prep on Indy to start shooting in the fall or winter? And they do that until like April or May 2018, and then this thing gets blasted out for a 2018 awards season release while Indy is in post? And somewhere in there RPO is finished? Idk, is that realistic?

Perhaps the Deadline article was poorly worded and they intend to fit this into his schedule after wrapping Mortara? Surely he's too far down the road planning an entirely-Italian based shoot with two extremely high-demand actors to pull out now (though I guess Robopocalypse fell apart similarly late?)

He's essentially finished RPO other than approving VFX for the next year, so he could probably shoot and plan 3 new films in the next two years.

Apr - Jun 2017: Edgardo Mortara (Released Dec 2017)

Jan - Mar 2018: The Post (Released Dec 2018)

Aug - Nov 2018: Indy V (Released May 2019)

At a minimum he'd probably need time off in Dec '17 and March '18 to promote Mortara and RPO.

I'm guessing he's been focused solely on Star Wars since about September and he's nearly finished.

He spent about 8 months working on TFA, factoring in the 6-8 weeks he spent recovering from surgery.

I'm quite interested in both American history and journalism (plus of course JW music! - and I like Hanks) so to me this sounds like it will be awesome. But I suppose I can understand how others who just want an entertaining film might be a little jaded by now with Spielberg's historical thing. 

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

(though I guess Robopocalypse fell apart similarly late?)

It was delayed once or twice but yeah, it seemed like a done-deal until it was shelved.  A real shame because it could have been a return to "dark sci-fi" for Spielberg and Williams.  I believe it was cancelled around the same time as Interstellar (which was also do to start production soonish (I think)).  

I think what you're remembering is Nolan was announced for Interstellar around the same time Spielberg quit Robopocaylpse.

I don't seem to remember Spielberg's Interstellar ever making it as far as Robopocalypse did. That one was weeks away from shooting or something, whereas I feel like Interstellar was just occasional rumors about the script but never really going anywhere, and then it went dead for awhile, and then the next thing we heard about it was that Nolan was gonna do it.

50 minutes ago, Will said:

I'm quite interested in both American history and journalism (plus of course JW music! - and I like Hanks) so to me this sounds like it will be awesome. But I suppose I can understand how others who just want an entertaining film might be a little jaded by now with Spielberg's historical thing. 

I think the general disappointment with this news is less to do with desiring better "entertainment" than the fact that Spielberg has explored this medium tirelessly with little to say really. Williams, even less so. Though they both churn out competent, and poignant efforts, they are tired all the same.

44 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

I think what you're remembering is Nolan was announced for Interstellar around the same time Spielberg quit Robopocaylpse.

I don't seem to remember Spielberg's Interstellar ever making it as far as Robopocalypse did. That one was weeks away from shooting or something, whereas I feel like Interstellar was just occasional rumors about the script but never really going anywhere, and then it went dead for awhile, and then the next thing we heard about it was that Nolan was gonna do it.

Spielberg's Interstellar got quite far.  The Jonathan Nolan script from 2008 is "out there," and Kip Thorne's book to accompany the film details a lot of the troubles the production went through - most of them seemingly the result of the usual Spielberg feet-dragging.

Spielberg should really try directing a TV series or a mini-series or a pilot even. His talent seems completely wasted on the movies he seems to be able to get made these days.

9 hours ago, Jay said:

Hanks, Streep, and Spielberg?

Oscar noms guaranteed!

Hanks: check

Streep: check

Spielberg: check

American history: check

That's four boxes ticked! 

8502000101_021b9a4214.jpg

Alex

6 hours ago, crumbs said:

Perhaps the Deadline article was poorly worded and they intend to fit this into his schedule after wrapping Mortara? Surely he's too far down the road planning an entirely-Italian based shoot with two extremely high-demand actors to pull out now (though I guess Robopocalypse fell apart similarly late?

Edgardo Mortara will start filming next month in northern Italy, that's been confirmed. No official release date has been announced yet, though.

Indy 4 is scheduled for release on July 2019, there's no other development officially announced other than Koepp is writing it now. So it's likely Spielberg will start pre-production on this new Hanks/Streep feature right after he'll be done with Edgardo Mortara.

About Robopocalypse--the plug was pulled on the project right after Kathy Kennedy was appointed chairman at Lucasfilm, even though preparation was in full gear and actors signed contracts. Also, it was around the time when the deal between DreamWorks and Paramount fell apart and Spielberg decided to strike a new distribution deal with Disney and the India-based Reliance Media, hence a series of projects that were under the Paramount/DW banner were basically disrupted.

10 hours ago, Alex said:

Underwhelming. Never been a big fan of journalism/investigative movies. Expecting another PRESUMED INNOCENT score. Actually, PRESUMED is a pretty decent score; I think 2017/2018 Williams would have trouble with something like that.

2 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

So I presume you're not a fan of Zodiac or All The President's Men, Thor?

That is correct.

1 hour ago, Muad'Dib said:

Spielberg should really try directing a TV series or a mini-series or a pilot even. His talent seems completely wasted on the movies he seems to be able to get made these days.

Why should that be different on television? It's not like Spielberg WANTS to make a cutting-edge movie about media and politics - or he wouldn't spend a considerable effort to make a retro movie about stuff that doesn't mean much today.

Wait a minute! I've read the comments in this thread and nobody feels the timing is striking? My first reaction was it's Spielberg's reaction to Trump's hatred for the freedom of the press. What else can it be?!

6 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Wait a minute! I've read the comments in this thread and nobody feels the timing is striking? My first reaction was it's Spielberg's reaction to Trump's hatred for the freedom of the press. What else can it be?!

13 hours ago, Will said:

I wonder if this is Spielberg's reaction to Trump (view on media). 

You really have trouble actually reading threads before posting in them don't you? 

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

Wait a minute! I've read the comments in this thread and nobody feels the timing is striking?

Thought it went without saying. Casting Meryl Streep as the lead actress was a pretty obvious hint at Spielberg's motivations.

6 minutes ago, Romão said:

I really wish he would bring the Moctezuma project to fruition

I think that's been left to rot in the 'too hard' basket. Which is a shame, it would be his most challenging film project in decades.

Spielberg doesn't really leave his comfort zone anymore.

Someone wants one more Oscar. Hollywood Trump hatred + Streep=Gold statue.  And who is Mark Rylance going to play? Nixon?

Why is it that Spielberg, someone who can do anything he wishes, apparently drawn to the most mediocre projects imaginable? Everything he does now (except Ready Player One) feels like something Soderbergh or Ron Howard should be directing.

With any luck Harrison Ford will be too old (if he hasn't crashed his plane into a ditch) by the time Spielberg has time for Indy V, leaving the series at a trilogy.

But that's what I'm saying. Apparently even Spielberg is having trouble making what he wants to make. Look at the projects he dropped: Interstellar, Robocalypse, Moctezuma... Lincoln almost was an HBO movie -and maybe it should have been. And BFG did really bad, so I don't know how much the money people are willing to take a risk with him.

I don't think even the giants of cinema have it easy today. Look at how much trouble Scorsese had to make Silence and how the studio handled the distribution. A film Scorsese wanted to make since 20 years just vanishes like that. The Irishman has been in development hell for years now and the news arose about him finally doing it but for Netflix. Does that tell us anything about the state of the big studios today? Maybe, or maybe I'm just overreacting. 

I'd love him to try out doing a horror film these days, even if it's light horror like Jurassic Park. It's true though that the Spielberg that took risks seems to have died a long time ago.

I don't know. Something like BRIDGE OF SPIES didn't really seem very interesting on paper, but Spielberg managed to turn it into something very worthwhile. One of my favourite movies last year. THE BFG is a different story, agreed. So even if this latest Meryl Streep project doesn't seem to be up my alley, I will always keep the door open in case he's able to transform it. It seems to me that it's the 'action adventure' stuff he's struggling with these days; the more "serious" fare is much better.