• Announcements

• Jay

Donate to JWFan, win a CD!   05/30/17

Hello!

We are significantly behind on our funds for keeping JWFan alive, and need to collect donations again.
      As an incentive, I am offering a series of free CDS to anyone who donates over a certain amount!   Donate at least $10 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $250 goal:   Tyler Bates - God of War; Ascension (OST, La La Land Records) Danny Elfman - Planet of the Apes (OST, Sony) Danny Elfman - Taking Woodstock (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Identity Thief (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (OST) Michael Giacchino - Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (OST, Varese Sarabande) Dave Holmes & Various - Ocean's 11 (OST, WB Records) Joel McNeely & Various - Hollywood '94 (Varese Sarabande) Joe Kraemer - Jack Reacher (OST, La La Land Records) John Williams - Born on the Fourth of July (OST, MCA Records)   Donate at least $20 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $500 goal:   John Barry - First Love (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - The Challenge (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - In Harm's Way (2009 Intrada edition) Jerry Goldsmith - The Red Pony (Varese) Alan Silvestri - Dutch (La La Land) Shirley Walker - Willard (La La Land) John Williams - Family Plot (Varese Sarabande) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $30 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $750 goal:   James Horner - Gorky Park (OOP Kritzerland Edition) James Newton Howard - Outbreak (2CD, Varese Deluxe Edition) Laurence Rosenthal - Clash of the Titans (2CD, Intrada) John Williams - The Fury (2CD, La La Land) John Williams - Jane Eyre (OOP, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $50 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $1,000 goal:   Jerry Fielding - The Wild Bunch (3CD, FSM) Ira Newborn - The Naked Gun trilogy (3CD, La La Land) Shirley Walker and Various - Batman: The Animated Series Volume 3 (4CD, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer     All shipping will be paid by me to anywhere in the world!   I will pull names from a hat for each pool, and you get to pick whatever CD set you want if I pull your name!   To be eligible, leave your JWFan username in the comments area of your donation.  If you want to donate but not be in the running for a free CD, mention that in the comment.   Use this link or the link on the mainpage.       Thank you!   Jason, Ricard, and Andreas.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Alex

The Papers (2017) FILM Discussion

218 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, Jay said:

Did he abandon the Jennifer Lawrence movie too?

I'd say it's gathering dust in his ever-growing pile of 'developed for a while then lost interest' projects, underneath Robopocalypse and Montezuma.

Personally I'm not fussed about Spielberg's next drama, but Mortara struck me as the more interesting musical challenge for Williams; I can already imagine the score for The Post. Maybe if we're lucky the film will focus on the espionage aspects of the story and we'll get shades of Nixon/JFK?

I guess we can assume Williams will move on to RPO once he finishes TLJ sessions in April, then score The Post later this year? A May production start pushes the first cut back to ~August.

Not Mr. Big likes this

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Did he abandon the Jennifer Lawrence movie too?

Oh right, I'd forgotten that one. It's funny because that was essentially a journalist movie as well. 

I'd say he's fast tracking this because he wants the prestige of starting the inevitable wave of politically-focused protest films, in response to the current administration. What better way than with Tom Hanks and Meryl Streep at your side?

It just screams Oscar-bait though, unfortunately.

Will likes this

Spielberg will lead the Hollywood Resistance against Trump!

Forget Oscar, I'm thinking Nobel Peace Price!

Will likes this

"The Post is Spielberg's finest film" - Entertainment Weekly

"Forget Schindler's List. Forget Empire Of The Sun. The Post is Spielberg's most emotionally draining and gut-wrenching film. It is a new milestone in the history of the Seventh Art" - Empire

"The Post redefines cinema as an art form. That's one for the ages!" - Total Film

"Politically relevant and artistically elegant, The Post is the cinematic event of the century" - RogerEbert.com

Will likes this

48 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

"Forget Schindler's List. Forget Empire Of The Sun. The Post is Spielberg's most emotionally draining and gut-wrenching film. It is a new milestone in the history of the Seventh Art" - Empire

"The Post redefines cinema as an art form. That's one for the ages!" - Total Film

"Politically relevant and artistically elegant, The Post is the cinematic event of the century" - RogerEbert.com

"Makes Empire of the Sun look like an epic."

"Everyone who enjoyed scene after scene of people sitting in brightly-lit rooms talking, as the two hour running times of Lincoln and Bridge of Spies delivered in spades, will be in cinematic heaven watching The Post."

- Walter McDouche, Pretentious Weekly

11 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

DJT_Headshot_V2_bigger.jpg@Steven Spielberg: bad (or sick) guy! — Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) 4. März 2017

Will likes this

Both Lincoln and Bridge of Spies are among my favorite Spielberg movies, so yeah, I'm excited for this one.

No way I'm reading this thread though.  I'm assuming it's just another competition to see who can be the biggest cynical asshole, as usual.  Whatever floats your boat.

Will and DominicCobb like this

It's another round of the modern Spielberg sucks "debate".

The BFG is the worst film ever made!

3 hours ago, Selina Kyle said:

beauty-sleep-audrey-hepburn-breakfast-at-tiffany.jpg

It's such a pity remake of Bewitched.

2 hours ago, Richard said:

Nice; we get three JW scores in the space of three months. Party on, dudes! Get ready to fill yer boots, and cream your jeans! :)

That hadn't occurred to me, but you're right! A new Star Wars, a new drama and a new sci-fi score all in the space of 3 months!

Has this ever occurred before? I remember getting War Horse and Tintin in the space of a few weeks, but not 3 scores...

I guess we got 4 scores in the space of 8 months back in 2002 & 2005.

Will likes this

In 1976, we had FAMILY PLOT, THE MISSOURI BREAKS, and MIDWAY, in the space of three months.

THE TOWERING INFERNO arrived four weeks after EARTHQUAKE.

If STANLEY AND IRIS hadn't been bumped, we would have had two scores within six weeks of each other.

ALWAYS + BOT4OJ, and HOOK + JFK each had two weeks between them.

31 minutes ago, Richard said:

In 1976, we had FAMILY PLOT, THE MISSOURI BREAKS, and MIDWAY, in the space of three months.

THE TOWERING INFERNO arrived four weeks after EARTHQUAKE.

If STANLEY AND IRIS hadn't been bumped, we would have had two scores within six weeks of each other.

ALWAYS + BOT4OJ, and HOOK + JFK each had two weeks between them.

Well that puts it in perspective; the last time it happened was before Williams had written Star Wars.

It probably happened a lot more, but without precise OST release-dates, we can't be sure.

Pentagon Papers movie: Steven Spielberg, Tom Hanks, Meryl Streep visit newspaper:

http://www.afr.com/lifestyle/arts-and-entertainment/film-and-tv/pentagon-papers-movie-steven-spielberg-tom-hanks-meryl-streep-visit-newspaper-20170525-gwdi7t

Will be filming in the AT&T building, near Route 22/North Broadway and Barker Ave -Hamilton Ave in White Plains, for the next few weeks.

http://www.onlocationvacations.com/2017/05/30/untitled-steven-spielberg-project-starring-tom-hanks-meryl-streep-filming-white-plains-ny/

Disco Stu likes this

Awesome! I'm really looking forward to this. I'm a fan of Spielberg's current "dramatic phase" anyway, and Williams should deliver a good score like he always does. 

Disco Stu likes this

2 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

I'm a fan of Spielberg's current "dramatic phase" anyway,

Brother!

Fancyarcher likes this

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Brother!

Preach man! I really liked Lincoln and Bridge of Spies most among the films he's done in the past decade. Really looking forward to all these films he doing. They especially sound like they have a lot of potential. 

LA population devastated as Steven Spielberg kidnaps half of Hollywood's respected character actors

Just now, Fancyarcher said:

Preach man! I really liked Lincoln and Bridge of Spies most among the films he's done in the past decade. 

Speaking my language!  They're both in my top 10 Spielberg films ever!

Once and Fancyarcher like this

I hope Tracy Letts gets at least one juicy monologue to sink his teeth into.  He gave one of my favorite performances of last year in the criminally underseen film Indignation.  Amazing actor (and playwright of course).

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Speaking my language!  They're both in my top 10 Spielberg films ever!

Lincoln is great. For a 2 hour + plus film with a lot of talking I find it extremely fascinating and great to watch. Terrific performances and direction all-around. 

7 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Great to see Spielberg working with Odenkirk. I love his work on Tim and Eric.  

*edit* Just noticed David Cross name.  What is this, a Pussy Doodles reunion? 

Its basically a lock that they'll be playing Woodward and Bernstein.

4 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

Movie's also been retitled The Papers.

Least interesting title ever?

Will and crumbs like this

It will be Spielberg's The Postman.

715H1Q5HVPL.gif

Warner Bros: We're still recovering from it!

10 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

Movie's also been retitled The Papers.

Here's the poster!

The_Paper_movie_poster.jpg

16 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

It will be Spielberg's The Postman.

715H1Q5HVPL.gif

Warner Bros: We're still recovering from it!

2013 wasn't that bad of a year.