THE POST - FILM Thread

Alex

I ended up watching it on a plane because I was desperate for something to watch. I was pleasantly surprised.

Bridge of Spies is probably ranked 11th amongst Spielberg for me, Lincoln 10th. Which is actually saying something considering the man's incredibly impressive filmography. So yeah, I'm team Bridge (only seen it once though).

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I wish everyone could see what I see in that movie.  There's a small community of us Bridgeheads out there.  We are not alone! ;) 

You like what you like. I think I'm still the only one that has a deep love of Michael Clayton, film and score. 

19 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

You like what you like. I think I'm still the only one that has a deep love of Michael Clayton, film and score. 

I remember seeing that movie and thinking "Hm that was interesting."  Then I couldn't stop thinking about it and by the time I watched a second time thought it was a masterpiece.  I hope Gilroy gets a chance at making a comeback as a director.  Maybe Disney will repay him for "rescuing" Rogue One by financing a film for him.

Yes, it is. You have Always. I have Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol 1

1 hour ago, Evil-Lyn said:

What, is it trendy now on JWFan to be the only person who loves something?

Always_MCAD8036.jpg

1 hour ago, Evil-Lyn said:

I thought everyone loved those Guardians funny book movies? There's even a Disney theme park ride.

Over here everyone scratched their head. Guardians Of The Galaxy? What's that?!  We only heard of Batman, Superman and Spider-Man.

Over here people read a different kind of comic book.

2b909ec0-4a11-012d-101c-0050569439b1.jpg

1001004001502433.jpg

717419322.jpg

975701f7af114e34641895ec15794f5f.jpg

And we certainly don't have a Guardians Of The Galaxy theme park.

5 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Over here people read a different kind of comic book.

2b909ec0-4a11-012d-101c-0050569439b1.jpg

1001004001502433.jpg

717419322.jpg

975701f7af114e34641895ec15794f5f.jpg

And we certainly don't have a Guardians Of The Galaxy theme park.

i fondly remember all of those and quite a few more!

14 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Kushner didn't write Bridge.  It was written by Matt Charman and the Coen Brothers.

Ah, that's right. Although it's an easy mistake to make. Bridge has little of the Coen's characteristic wit and love of the bizarre. It felt more in line with Lincoln's rather preachy fascination with the legal process. In both films, complex men are elevated to the level of godly, untouchable figureheads--benign orators who always know the right line to deliver at the right time.

45 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Is it Donald Trump in the second picture?

Karol

:lol:

It's tante Sidonia (Aunt Sidonia).

Stantijn%20heeft%20een%20nogal%20lange%2

2 hours ago, Sharky said:

Ah, that's right. Although it's an easy mistake to make. Bridge has little of the Coen's characteristic wit and love of the bizarre. It felt more in line with Lincoln's rather preachy fascination with the legal process. In both films, complex men are elevated to the level of godly, untouchable figureheads--benign orators who always know the right line to deliver at the right time.

Or rather, one of those WASP figureheads Spielberg seems to idolize to a bizarre degree.

27 minutes ago, publicist said:

Or rather, one of those WASP figureheads Spielberg seems to idolize to a bizarre degree.

Like Schindler?

So I assume between this and Ready Player One, we may have two Spielberg films next year? Even as he gets older, he's still efficient at what he does, delivering films for the summer and Christmas. Props to that. 

8 minutes ago, publicist said:

As pragmatic stand in for the real thing, yes.

Spielberg's movies are cinematic 'statues' but made with great craftsmanship.

11 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

So I assume between this and Ready Player One, we may have two Spielberg films next year? Even as he gets older, he's still efficient at what he does, delivering films for the summer and Christmas. Props to that. 

The Papers is end of this year, not next. 

32 minutes ago, publicist said:

What?

If Spielberg was a sculptor he would make a bronze statue of Oscar Schindler and James Donovan in honor of their legacy. Since Spielberg isn't a sculptor, he does it with film.

Alex

Why do you write "Alex" at the end of some posts but not others? Is it when you think you've written something particularly profound, and you must give yourself credit? 

1 hour ago, publicist said:

James Donovan was Catholic! :D 

3 minutes ago, Woj said:

Why do you write "Alex" at the end of some posts but not others? Is it when you think you've written something particularly profound, and you must give yourself credit? 

Yes? Some posts must be trademarked.

53 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

The Papers is end of this year, not next. 

Oh, makes sense I suppose. Ready Player One was shot first though, it just has a longer post-production period anyway. 

• 2 weeks later...

Streep in costume:

img_3932hbxsb.jpg

4273B2C400000578-0-image-m-31_1500424399

427786AD00000578-0-image-a-22_1500424276

4277E50400000578-4709128-image-a-54_1500

4277E54F00000578-4709128-The_70_year_old

Wonder how many shooting days this will be? Didn't Spielberg finish Lincoln in something ridiculous like 40 days? The way he shoots, it'll probably be finished in the next month.

Judging by that lighting setup, this will feature Kaminski's trademark 70s visual palette, ala Munich. Heavily bleached and overlit.

15 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Judging by that lighting setup, this will feature Kaminski's trademark 70s visual palette, ala Munich. Heavily bleached and overlit.

Kaminski-shot period pieces....mmmmmmmm

Rich and delicious

giphy.gif

I know his style is cliched at this point, but I enjoy his work in period films. They feel like period films and not Hollywood sets masquerading as period sets.

... well, except for that abomination KOTCS; probably his second worst shot film behind The Lost World (but he can blame the godawful DI and an excess of terrible CGI for that).

9 minutes ago, crumbs said:

... well, except for that abomination KOTCS; probably his second worst shot film behind The Lost World (but he can blame the godawful DI and an excess of terrible CGI for that).

WAIT WHAT

The photography in TLW is gorgeous!

3 minutes ago, Muad'Dib said:

The photography in TLW is gorgeous!

Wait what?!

When I heard it was Kaminski, I couldn't believe it!

4 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I know his style is cliched at this point, but I enjoy his work in period films. They feel like period films and not Hollywood sets masquerading as period sets.

Once I happened upon Catch Me If You Can playing on TV and I just sat watched it with the sound off while I was listening to other things.  So gorgeous.

He loves those sunbeams!! :D 

Spoiler

1324.jpg

"Recent" Spielberg efforts like Minority Report, AI, Catch Me If You Can, Lincoln and Munich are exceptionally shot movies. The mise en scene in almost every shot is compelling with detail.

You can tell when Spielberg isn't fully invested because you end up with visually uninspired efforts like KOTCS and TLW, which filters through to the cinematographer. I guess to be fair, Spielberg blocks the shots and chooses the lenses, Kaminski just lights it (but can anyone explain WTF he was doing with the jungle sound-stage scenes in KOTCS?)