THE POST - FILM Thread

Alex

7 minutes ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

some Will Farrell movie at my showing. 

Daddy's Home 2?  I'd actually be down for a comedy starring just Will Ferrell and John Lithgow in a "nothing else on HBO so I'll watch it" kind of way..  Wahlberg and Gibson completely torpedo any chance I'll ever see it though.

Just now, mrbellamy said:

I just realized, is this the first Spielberg movie even tangentially related to the Vietnam War?

Yes!  I've always been curious what his take on it would have been. Though I don't see it showing up more than the couple of cutaway shots shown in the trailer.  

Johny baby is the only below the line credit in either the poster or the trailer and he is first listed after the cast in both.

Respect!

17 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

New poster.  John Williams' name is the first listed! (or third if you count Streep and Hanks)

0VM9Aq1.jpg

Maybe a bit random but aren't these too many steps? I've been to the Supreme Court but I don't think there are that many steps.

So apparently Spielberg's locked the final cut and is finishing the sound mix with JW's score next Monday, so it looks like they're pretty much finished.

Sounds like a pretty short score, considering we only heard about sessions beginning on October 31. It's possible there were earlier sessions or JW knocked everything over in a week. Can't get that luxurious Star Wars schedule on every film. ;)

Spielberg told me he had just locked final cut of his anticipated Watergate era drama “The Post” (Twentieth Century Fox, December 22), which stars Meryl Streep as Washington Post owner Katharine Graham and Tom Hanks as editor Ben Bradlee. Spielberg will complete the final sound mix with John Williams’ score next Monday. Fox will book late November screenings to meet critics’ group deadlines.

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/11/steven-spielberg-the-post-ready-player-one-ben-mendelsohn-arthur-miller-writer-1201895214/

5 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Johny baby is the only below the line credit in either the poster or the trailer and he is first listed after the cast in both.

Respect!

Maybe they see him as a 'crowd magnet'?

I'm undecided on whether I want to watch the trailer or not!  I think I might skip the Youtube upload for now.  If it plays ahead of Orient Express when I see it Friday night, it'll be cool to see it in a theater.  This is my Star Wars! :P 

5 hours ago, Bor Gullet said:

Looks like Bridge of Spies 2.0

That Disco Stu fellow should be quite pleased.

You tag a user into a post by typing the '@' symbol and start typing the user's name.  The forum software will automatically search for the user you want.

@Bor Gullet

Like so!

Just now, Disco Stu said:

I'm undecided on whether I want to watch the trailer or not!  I think I might skip the Youtube upload for now.  If it plays ahead of Orient Express when I see it Friday night, it'll be cool to see it in a theater.  This is my Star Wars! :P

Be careful: it's very spoilery.

The user above saying it looks like Bridge of Spies 2 has me thinking I'm getting too excited.  Those podcast people saying they heard it was boring even more so.  A lot of people thought BoS was boring too!  Like yourself!

Visually it looks nothing like Bridge of Spies. Thematically, yeah, lots of people talking in rooms but it's a very different visual style. Surprisingly flat and unstylised for Kaminski, very little saturation.

Holy cow, that trailer was absolutely terrible.  It felt like a parody trailer for these kinds of movies a comedy TV show would make.  What a disappointment.

Hopefully JW found inspiration somewhere and the score is great!

5 hours ago, Jay said:

Holy cow, that trailer was absolutely terrible.  It felt like a parody trailer for these kinds of movies a comedy TV show would make.  What a disappointment.

Not as bad as the Lincoln trailer though.

Trailer looks awesome!! 

As a history buff this reminds me how excited I am to finally see the Pentagon Papers story on screen. And with Williams music... :wub:

It is interesting to notice the look of this film. I can't quite describe it, but there's a lovely "dated" hue to many shots (unlike, IIRC, in BoS). This film also looks like it will be rather dark, much moreso than I had imagined. (Hopefully that doesn't mean the score will be mostly dark.)

Unfortunately there's no indication of any moments that would lend themselves to jazzy JW cues, although that was a long shot so I'm not too disappointed. 

9 hours ago, Jay said:

It comes off as a "movie of the week" of yesteryear.  

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Intellectually, I know that the score being recorded in just a few days has little to no bearing on the quality or how much I may or may not enjoy it.  But for some reason it has tempered my expectations.

It will be very short, I think that's becoming clear. 55 minute OST if that.

• 2 weeks later...

The Post is screening for critics in New York City right this very moment.

Q&A with Hanks, Streep, Spielberg, and probably Odenkirk after

^this is Tony Kushner's husband so it makes sense that he's moderating the Q&A

Sometimes, when it comes to directors and producers and casting calls, bad things happen don't merely happen twice but over and over and over and over. 

Just for the record, I consider to be Trump to be a disgusting megalomaniac, but self-righteous in any form is unjustified.  I mean Spielberg used to hang out at the Clinton Whitehouse until the end.  Is it so hard to refrain from patronizing us "common" folk with your morality. 

I do get the vibe that the critical reactions will be mixed-leaning-positive, with most critics saying "it's fine, some good parts some ok parts" and some critics absolutely loving it.  We'll see.

What I have seemed to glean from vague, non-NDA-breaking posts is that Meryl Streep is particularly excellent.

She's a skilled performer and I always enjoy her on screen to a certain extent (even when chewing scenery, just like Nicholson), but there are only a few roles where I've been genuinely wowed by her.

Angels in America

Kramer vs. Kramer

The Bridges of Madison County

Adaptation

Anyway, as a huge fan of Spotlight I thought this quote from Josh Singer was interesting

Oscar-winning “Spotlight” screenwriter Josh Singer came on board just 10 weeks before shooting started. Prior to the screening, he told Variety he was admittedly a bit nervous going back to the journalism well again. But there was an interesting difference between the two projects. “‘Spotlight’ was a journalism school movie, how to report a story,” he said. “This was much more of a business school movie, how to run a business.” Much of the drama focuses on the repercussions of publishing such explosive material at a time when the Post was preparing for its first public offering.

http://variety.com/2017/film/awards/oscars-steven-spielberg-the-post-meryl-streep-tom-hanks-1202618447/

This is such Disco Stu-bait.  I love movies that delve into the nitty gritty of process like that, it's part of the reason I think Lincoln and Bridge of Spies are late career masterpieces for Spielberg.  They're obviously not as spare/minimalist as Spotlight, but they're just as concerned with the "dirty" process of negotiations, conflicts and power.  Of course, Spotlight is more concerned with the losers in stories like this, the child victims of priest abuse.  I doubt Spielberg will pay much attention to the tens of thousands of young people who died (let alone the thousands of civilians) in Vietnam as a result of US government coverups/ineptitude.  But that's fine, it's not the story he wanted to tell.

I liked Spotlight but actually think it was still too Hollywood. It was extremely melodramatic and the actors were positively shouting during the conclusion. Did we really that scene of Ruffalo getting hysterical and running around? Even the score was a bit overdramatic. I think that movie would have worked better without a score. The movie might have been minimalist by Hollywood standards but was yet excessive compared to your average European arthouse film.

Lincoln and BoS on the other hand are both magnificent films. Show the value of old-fashioned Hollywood craft and storytelling. Both deeply engrossing movies about essentially middle-aged men negotiating in dark rooms.

I hope Post is more like the latter and less like the former which I personally found extremely mediocre and melodramatic.

1 hour ago, TheUlyssesian said:

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/11/the-post-movie-steven-spielberg-tom-hanks-meryl-streep-pentagon-papers

This movie is coming for all the Oscars. All the critics/journalists are gonna go crazy for this film. I wonder why.

I realize I need to just move on, but come on Hanks, show some awareness: “Not to bring a downer on this rock-’em-sock-’em two hours of grab-yer-ass entertainment!”