THE POST - FILM Thread

Alex

This is just one of those movies that start at 2.5 stars and has no where to go but up. Directed by Spielberg, A-list cast, timely subject that makes heroes of journalists.  It's given a certain amount of credibility right out the gate.  At let's remember Steven Spielberg doesn't make bad movies. It only has to be average to get good reviews, and I tend to agree that it will it middle to generally positive reviews.

We should have threads predicting the Rotten Tomatoes score for upcoming movies, winner gets bragging rights as a prognosticator or prognosticators. I'll predict 71% for The Post.  

On 3/6/2017 at 3:48 PM, Jay said:

Hanks, Streep, and Spielberg?

Oscar noms guaranteed!

Not after that doa trailer. Ugh

9 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

This is just one of those movies that start at 2.5 stars and has no where to go but up. Directed by Spielberg, A-list cast, timely subject that makes heroes of journalists.  It's given a certain amount of credibility right out the gate.  At let's remember Steven Spielberg doesn't make bad movies. It only has to be average to get good reviews, and I tend to agree that it will it middle to generally positive reviews.

We should have threads predicting the Rotten Tomatoes score for upcoming movies, winner gets bragging rights as a prognosticator or prognosticators. I'll predict 71% for The Post.  

I'd wager anything between 75 to the low 90's on RT.

I know it's the same under-the-title credits as the American poster, but I still think it's so cool that not only is Williams the only person credited who is not a producer/writer/director, but that he is the first credit.

59 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Personally, I've always rather been fond of that poster:

a8KeJay.jpg

Is that from the next Dan Brown book!

On 11/20/2017 at 12:33 PM, Nick1066 said:

This is just one of those movies that start at 2.5 stars and has no where to go but up. Directed by Spielberg, A-list cast, timely subject that makes heroes of journalists.  It's given a certain amount of credibility right out the gate.   At let's remember Steven Spielberg doesn't make bad movies . It only has to be average to get good reviews, and I tend to agree that it will it middle to generally positive reviews.

Bfg, Hook, Always, those are bad movies but better than his-snuff film munich

I read one kinda critic like piece about the recent screening. Mentioned the election in Sentence 1.

It will give critics a chance to indulge in their favorite activity - sneak in trump bashing statements in a movie review unrelated to him.

Expect pieces titled like....

"The Post is a rallying cry of THE RESISTANCE"

"Meryl Streep and Steven Spielberg stick it to trump with new drama The Post"

"Meryl Streep's new movie saves the First Amendment from the clutches of trump"

"Spielberg and Steep take aim at trump in new drama and it is glorious"

"Meryl for president - shows the moral leadership in new film that we sorely lack"

Streep will of course win a lot of awards and give more fervent take downs of trump in her acceptance speeches all the while completely failing to mention the rape culture scandal that is currently engulfing Hollywood like an apocalyptic hurricane. So many big people implicated including the head of Pixar and at the recent Governor awards, a pin drop silence about the entire issue and Dustin Hoffman even got to present.

Streep already made an Oscar-worthy performance claiming ignorance to Weinstein's sexual endeavors.  I guess she felt obligated since she worked with him so much and called him God.

I saw the trailer for this recently. A lot of Spielberg's recent Oscar bait based-on-true-events (Bridge of Spies, Lincoln, Munich) have put me to sleep. This looks no different, and it's a timely story. But Hanks and Streep? Zzzzz.

The Beard can do these movies in his sleep. I think if he did something super low-budget (like Blumhouse) he could really do something special, but he won't. He's too comfortable where he is.

What's annoying to me is all the anti-Trump stuff Hollywood keeps spewing out... we get it, Hilary lost and Trump sucks.  I'm not a Trump supporter, but it's gotten old.  I hope this isn't simply an anti-Trump movie because that would be a waste of good talent all around.  Williams could have been working on RPO instead...

I love Spielberg and I loved his last two drama Oscar films. So I am looking forward to this. But I hope it's not a heavy handed liberal propaganda film. Anything that portrays journalists as noble keepers of truth makes me roll my eyes when they are so corrupt and deceitful and hacks. I hope this is a balanced portrait and not like a fake news CNN docufiction show.

8 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

I love Spielberg and I loved his last two drama Oscar films. So I am looking forward to this. But I hope it's not a heavy handed liberal propaganda film. Anything that portrays journalists as noble keepers of truth makes me roll my eyes when they are so corrupt and deceitful and hacks. I hope this is a balanced portrait and not like a fake news CNN docufiction show.

Maybe you shouldn't watch it then.

And another thing, good journalism report news truthfully and accurately. Good journalism doesn't care about the subjects' left or right political leanings (the recent sexual harassment and assault charges for instance). Good journalism doesn't traffic in innuendo and distortion like a lot of right-leaning "news" sites like Breitbart. Good journalism means that the reporters go the extra mile to verify their sources. Good journalism means shedding light on painful truths.

You lost all credibility with that "fake news CNN docufiction" nonsense.

CNN is that important channel delivering mostly breathtaking daylong coverage of President Trump entering or leaving Air Force One. At least it's the only thing i ever saw there.

14 hours ago, someonefun124 said:

What's annoying to me is all the anti-Trump stuff Hollywood keeps spewing out... we get it, Hilary lost and Trump sucks.  I'm not a Trump supporter, but it's gotten old.  I hope this isn't simply an anti-Trump movie because that would be a waste of good talent all around.  Williams could have been working on RPO instead...

I agree but at the same time, Trump can' t let anything go and is still bitching about everything so why should Hollywood?

14 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Only in your world are reporters corrupt and deceitful and hacks, and yet you are ok with Trump, who has no respect for facts.  

6 hours ago, Matt C said:

Maybe you shouldn't watch it then.

And another thing, good journalism report news truthfully and accurately. Good journalism doesn't care about the subjects' left or right political leanings (the recent sexual harassment and assault charges for instance). Good journalism doesn't traffic in innuendo and distortion like a lot of right-leaning "news" sites like Breitbart. Good journalism means that the reporters go the extra mile to verify their sources. Good journalism means shedding light on painful truths.

You lost all credibility with that "fake news CNN docufiction" nonsense.

Thanks a lot for judging me. What you post here is emblematic of why political discourse has absolutely broken down in America and has resorted to the most heinous partisan name calling.

Look what happened here. People were exchanging ideas and opinions. And then one person attacked another for their opinion. Who did? You attacked me. If you start attacking every person for having an opinion different from yours and shutting down every opinion different from yours or start judging people, you would only be left to interact with clones of yourself - I am sure you would enjoy that... all yes men and a world full of conformist homogeneous opinion. You will just retreat further and further into your bubble.

If you wanted to shatter all possibility of civil discourse, you have succeeded because I am putting you on ignore and have the least interest in communicating with some so close-minded and narrow-minded. It would never occur to me to attack you for your opinion, because your opinion is as legitimate as mine in every possible way. But you have exposed your grevious intolerance which I want nothing to do with.

30 minutes ago, Mephariel said:

Only in your world are reporters corrupt and deceitful and hacks, and yet you are ok with Trump, who has no respect for facts.  

Are you responding to posts you imagined? Where did I say I am ok with trump? 

4 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

why is Streep wearing a curtain? Small budget?

What kind of curtains do you have?

Hey look, I found the take on The Post that is guaranteed to be held by 90% of JWFan.  Now you guys don't have to bother with filling pages of posting 'Meh' anymore!  Right?  RIGHT?

image.png

Might the story of the film be dated? They should have done a modern re-imagining with the papers changed to a digital outlet, changing the main villain from Nixon to trump and updated the stars to be younger so they could be Jennifer Lawrence and Ryan Gosling in the lead roles! And also replacing the classical score by Williams to a modern metallic sound design like soundscape from Zimmer.