• Announcements

    • Jay

      Donation time at JWFan   01/16/18

      Hello!

      For those who may not know, JWFan relies entirely on donations to keep running.  Donations pay for our server bills, as well as keeping our domain and Invision Powerboard fees.
      As an incentive to donate, I am offering a series of free CDS to anyone who donates over a certain amount!   Last time this was a modest success, where I raised $500 of our desired $1,000 and mailed out 3 free CDs to lucky JWFanners.  This time I'll be doing the raffling a littler different!   Our goal is $1000 once again, and I will have four tiers of free CDs you can win once again.  But this time, the more you donate, the more entries into each raffle you'll get!   Each $10 you donate gets your name put into the raffle mug once for the $10 pool, twice for the $20 pool, thrice for the $30 pool, and five times into the $50 pool.  Here is the list of CDs you can win - and I have more to add at a later time when I get a little more organized (I'll post what they are by Friday at the latest)   The $10 pool (Every $10 you donate gets you one ticket into this pool) - will be drawn as soon as we hit $250 donated Tyler Bates - God of War; Ascension (OST, La La Land Records) Danny Elfman - Planet of the Apes (OST, Sony) Danny Elfman - Taking Woodstock (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Identity Thief (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (OST) Michael Giacchino - Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (OST, Varese Sarabande) Dave Holmes & Various - Ocean's 11 (OST, WB Records) Joel McNeely & Various - Hollywood '94 (Varese Sarabande) Joe Kraemer - Jack Reacher (OST, La La Land Records) John Williams - Born on the Fourth of July (OST, MCA Records)   The $20 pool (Every $10 you donate gets you two ticket into this pool, must donate at least $20 to be eligible) - will be drawn as soon as we hit $500 donated John Barry - First Love (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - The Challenge (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - In Harm's Way (2009 Intrada edition) Jerry Goldsmith - The Red Pony (Varese) Alan Silvestri - Dutch (La La Land) Shirley Walker - Willard (La La Land) John Williams - Family Plot (Varese Sarabande) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   The $30 pool (Every $10 you donate gets you three ticket into this pool, must donate at least $30 to be eligible) - will be drawn as soon as we hit $750 donated James Horner - Gorky Park (OOP Kritzerland Edition) James Newton Howard - Outbreak (2CD, Varese Deluxe Edition) Laurence Rosenthal - Clash of the Titans (2CD, Intrada) John Williams - The Fury (2CD, La La Land) John Williams - Jane Eyre (OOP, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   The $50 pool (Every $10 you donate gets you five ticket into this pool, must donate at least $50 to be eligible) - will be drawn as soon as we hit $1,000 donated Jerry Fielding - The Wild Bunch (3CD, FSM) Ira Newborn - The Naked Gun trilogy (3CD, La La Land) Shirley Walker and Various - Batman: The Animated Series Volume 3 (4CD, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer     All shipping will be paid by me to anywhere in the world!   I will pull names from a hat for each pool, and you get to pick whatever CD set you want if I pull your name!   To be eligible, leave your JWFan username in the comments area of your donation.  If you want to donate but not be in the running for a free CD, mention that in the comment.   Use this link or the link on the mainpage.       Thank you!   Jason, Ricard, and Andreas.
Alex

THE POST - FILM Thread

Recommended Posts

This is just one of those movies that start at 2.5 stars and has no where to go but up. Directed by Spielberg, A-list cast, timely subject that makes heroes of journalists.  It's given a certain amount of credibility right out the gate.  At let's remember Steven Spielberg doesn't make bad movies. It only has to be average to get good reviews, and I tend to agree that it will it middle to generally positive reviews.

 

We should have threads predicting the Rotten Tomatoes score for upcoming movies, winner gets bragging rights as a prognosticator or prognosticators. I'll predict 71% for The Post.  

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

This is just one of those movies that start at 2.5 stars and has no where to go but up. Directed by Spielberg, A-list cast, timely subject that makes heroes of journalists.  It's given a certain amount of credibility right out the gate.  At let's remember Steven Spielberg doesn't make bad movies. It only has to be average to get good reviews, and I tend to agree that it will it middle to generally positive reviews.

 

We should have threads predicting the Rotten Tomatoes score for upcoming movies, winner gets bragging rights as a prognosticator or prognosticators. I'll predict 71% for The Post.  

 

 

 

 

I'd wager anything between 75 to the low 90's on RT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Personally, I've always rather been fond of that poster:

 

a8KeJay.jpg

Is that from the next Dan Brown book!

On 11/20/2017 at 12:33 PM, Nick1066 said:

This is just one of those movies that start at 2.5 stars and has no where to go but up. Directed by Spielberg, A-list cast, timely subject that makes heroes of journalists.  It's given a certain amount of credibility right out the gate.   At let's remember Steven Spielberg doesn't make bad movies . It only has to be average to get good reviews, and I tend to agree that it will it middle to generally positive reviews.

 

We should have threads predicting the Rotten Tomatoes score for upcoming movies, winner gets bragging rights as a prognosticator or prognosticators. I'll predict 71% for The Post.  

 

 

 

 

Bfg, Hook, Always, those are bad movies but better than his-snuff film munich

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read one kinda critic like piece about the recent screening. Mentioned the election in Sentence 1.

 

It will give critics a chance to indulge in their favorite activity - sneak in trump bashing statements in a movie review unrelated to him.

 

Expect pieces titled like....

 

"The Post is a rallying cry of THE RESISTANCE"

 

"Meryl Streep and Steven Spielberg stick it to trump with new drama The Post"

 

"Meryl Streep's new movie saves the First Amendment from the clutches of trump"

 

"Spielberg and Steep take aim at trump in new drama and it is glorious"

 

"Meryl for president - shows the moral leadership in new film that we sorely lack"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Streep will of course win a lot of awards and give more fervent take downs of trump in her acceptance speeches all the while completely failing to mention the rape culture scandal that is currently engulfing Hollywood like an apocalyptic hurricane. So many big people implicated including the head of Pixar and at the recent Governor awards, a pin drop silence about the entire issue and Dustin Hoffman even got to present.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw the trailer for this recently. A lot of Spielberg's recent Oscar bait based-on-true-events (Bridge of Spies, Lincoln, Munich) have put me to sleep. This looks no different, and it's a timely story. But Hanks and Streep? Zzzzz.

 

The Beard can do these movies in his sleep. I think if he did something super low-budget (like Blumhouse) he could really do something special, but he won't. He's too comfortable where he is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What's annoying to me is all the anti-Trump stuff Hollywood keeps spewing out... we get it, Hilary lost and Trump sucks.  I'm not a Trump supporter, but it's gotten old.  I hope this isn't simply an anti-Trump movie because that would be a waste of good talent all around.  Williams could have been working on RPO instead...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love Spielberg and I loved his last two drama Oscar films. So I am looking forward to this. But I hope it's not a heavy handed liberal propaganda film. Anything that portrays journalists as noble keepers of truth makes me roll my eyes when they are so corrupt and deceitful and hacks. I hope this is a balanced portrait and not like a fake news CNN docufiction show.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

I love Spielberg and I loved his last two drama Oscar films. So I am looking forward to this. But I hope it's not a heavy handed liberal propaganda film. Anything that portrays journalists as noble keepers of truth makes me roll my eyes when they are so corrupt and deceitful and hacks. I hope this is a balanced portrait and not like a fake news CNN docufiction show.

 

 

 

Maybe you shouldn't watch it then.

 

And another thing, good journalism report news truthfully and accurately. Good journalism doesn't care about the subjects' left or right political leanings (the recent sexual harassment and assault charges for instance). Good journalism doesn't traffic in innuendo and distortion like a lot of right-leaning "news" sites like Breitbart. Good journalism means that the reporters go the extra mile to verify their sources. Good journalism means shedding light on painful truths.

 

You lost all credibility with that "fake news CNN docufiction" nonsense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, someonefun124 said:

What's annoying to me is all the anti-Trump stuff Hollywood keeps spewing out... we get it, Hilary lost and Trump sucks.  I'm not a Trump supporter, but it's gotten old.  I hope this isn't simply an anti-Trump movie because that would be a waste of good talent all around.  Williams could have been working on RPO instead...

 

I agree but at the same time, Trump can' t let anything go and is still bitching about everything so why should Hollywood?

14 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

I love Spielberg and I loved his last two drama Oscar films. So I am looking forward to this. But I hope it's not a heavy handed liberal propaganda film. Anything that portrays journalists as noble keepers of truth makes me roll my eyes when they are so corrupt and deceitful and hacks. I hope this is a balanced portrait and not like a fake news CNN docufiction show.

 

 

 

Only in your world are reporters corrupt and deceitful and hacks, and yet you are ok with Trump, who has no respect for facts.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Matt C said:

 

Maybe you shouldn't watch it then.

 

And another thing, good journalism report news truthfully and accurately. Good journalism doesn't care about the subjects' left or right political leanings (the recent sexual harassment and assault charges for instance). Good journalism doesn't traffic in innuendo and distortion like a lot of right-leaning "news" sites like Breitbart. Good journalism means that the reporters go the extra mile to verify their sources. Good journalism means shedding light on painful truths.

 

You lost all credibility with that "fake news CNN docufiction" nonsense.

 

Thanks a lot for judging me. What you post here is emblematic of why political discourse has absolutely broken down in America and has resorted to the most heinous partisan name calling.

 

Look what happened here. People were exchanging ideas and opinions. And then one person attacked another for their opinion. Who did? You attacked me. If you start attacking every person for having an opinion different from yours and shutting down every opinion different from yours or start judging people, you would only be left to interact with clones of yourself - I am sure you would enjoy that... all yes men and a world full of conformist homogeneous opinion. You will just retreat further and further into your bubble.

 

If you wanted to shatter all possibility of civil discourse, you have succeeded because I am putting you on ignore and have the least interest in communicating with some so close-minded and narrow-minded. It would never occur to me to attack you for your opinion, because your opinion is as legitimate as mine in every possible way. But you have exposed your grevious intolerance which I want nothing to do with.

 

30 minutes ago, Mephariel said:

Only in your world are reporters corrupt and deceitful and hacks, and yet you are ok with Trump, who has no respect for facts.  

 

Are you responding to posts you imagined? Where did I say I am ok with trump? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Might the story of the film be dated? They should have done a modern re-imagining with the papers changed to a digital outlet, changing the main villain from Nixon to trump and updated the stars to be younger so they could be Jennifer Lawrence and Ryan Gosling in the lead roles! And also replacing the classical score by Williams to a modern metallic sound design like soundscape from Zimmer. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now