Is there no Jurassic Park scoring session footage

GRIGA01

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone knows of any footage of JW scoring Jurassic Park? It's such a shame that such a legendary score has no coverage atall considering the amount of videos we have relating to many other JW scores

I'm sure it exists. I think Spielberg has filmed all of the scoring sessions with Williams. But off the top of my head, I can't remember if I've seen any. Is there anything on the DVD/BluRay extras? It's been a while since I popped them in.

Well, Williams was absent during the recording/conducting duties for a couple of sessions because of some health issues he was going through at the time -if I remember correctly- and had to be replaced so I guess that's why that material never surfaced.

Would be interesting to see it nevertheless.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

I'm sure it exists. I think Spielberg has filmed all of the scoring sessions with Williams.

Spielberg didn't attend the sessions of JP--he was in Poland filming Schindler's List at that time.

7 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

The making of book talks about the scoring sessions a little, IRRC.

Sorry i didnt quite understand what you meant by this?

What does IRRC mean and what do you mean by making of book?

IRRC it is an acronym of  "If i remember correctly". I also had to ask when i first saw it :)

I mean this making of book:

91R3j4pl3uL.jpg

I think they mention a little about the recording sessions, but that's it.

4 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

IRRC it is an acronym of  "If i remember correctly". I also had to ask when i first saw it :)

91R3j4pl3uL.jpg

:) Thanks mate ill have to pick up a copy

Im surprised they didnt even film the scoring sessions of The Lost World?

11 minutes ago, GRIGA01 said:

:) Thanks mate ill have to pick up a copy

Im surprised they didnt even film the scoring sessions of The Lost World?

You can find it dirt cheap in amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Making-Jurassic-Park-Don-Shay/dp/034538122X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488933026&sr=8-1&keywords=making+jurassic+park

Mind you Williams involvement is just one page...but the book is rather cool nonetheless. (The lost world's too)

This was 1993, before the advent of smartphones! I suspect recording footage may not exist (although I'm happy to be proven wrong)..... 

I have never seen even a photo of Artie Kane conducting JP.

4 hours ago, Stefancos said:

You want to see Ross conducting?

No I always thought until now that JW conducted some of the sessions but then was replaced so I was hoping there was some footage of him

12 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Dcucuu2.jpg

There are no pictures of the sessions though, are there?

Spielberg wouldn't have been present at the sessions, at the time being in Poland shooting Schindler's List. Though I don't know for sure, JW wasn't conducting all or part of the sessions either, but instead Artie Kane.

In any case, if there is any footage, it might have been suppressed for a while so as to not distract AMPAS (the Oscars people) from Schindler's List when nominations were due. In fact despite the immense creative merit of the Jurassic Park score, it wasn't nominated for an Oscar, in an attempt to keep it from competing with the Schindler's List.

Very discouraging to read all these comments about Spielberg not being present, Artie Kane doing most of the conducting duties etc. If there's ONE score I'd love to have recording sessions footage, it's this -- my ALLTIME favourite score.

Nope. I knew that JURASSIC and SCHINDLER overlapped, production-wise, but not the specific dates and how it related to the recording sessions. Nor did I know that Artie Kane did most of the conducting (or if I did, I may have forgotten all about it).

15 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Look at what you typed!  Its IIRC, not IRRC!

10 hours ago, Rose Dawson said:

hook_movie_screencaps_com_498.jpg

Which one's your composer?

ROTFLMAO

4 hours ago, GRIGA01 said:

No I always thought until now that JW conducted some of the sessions but then was replaced so I was hoping there was some footage of him

William Ross conducted HPCOS entirely by himself.  Williams was in the USA at the time writing/recording Catch Me If You Can.

10 minutes ago, Thor said:

Nope. I knew that JURASSIC and SCHINDLER overlapped, production-wise, but not the specific dates and how it related to the recording sessions. Nor did I know that Artie Kane did most of the conducting (or if I did, I may have forgotten all about it).

Artie Kane didn't do MOST of the conducting, he just did SOME.  Mike M got the paperwork that showed who conducted every cue when he was working on the new set and IIRC ( ;) ), he said Kane conducted approx 1/3 of the cues?  Can't recall now.  But it was something like that.  And yea, Spielberg wasn't present for a minute of the recording sessions, because he was filming SL at the time.  This is extremely common knowledge Thor!

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

Look at what you typed!  Its IIRC, not IRRC!

13 hours ago, thx99 said:

IIRC?

11 minutes ago, Jay said:

Artie Kane didn't do MOST of the conducting, he just did SOME.  Mike M got the paperwork that showed who conducted every cue when he was working on the new set and IIRC ( ;) ), he said Kane conducted approx 1/3 of the cues?  Can't recall now.  But it was something like that.  And yea, Spielberg wasn't present for a minute of the recording sessions, because he was filming SL at the time.  This is extremely common knowledge Thor!

Ha, ha...ok, then. Never been that interested in the nuts-and-bolts of recording session logistics.