Can John Williams top The Jedi Steps & Finale in the last two sequels?

crumbs

Can John Williams top The Jedi Steps & Finale in the last two sequels?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Can John Williams top The Jedi Steps & Finale in the last two sequels?

• Yes, in Episode VIII: The Last Jedi
    • Yes, in Episode IX
    • No

Simple question.

The Jedi Steps and Finale is widely considered one of the best end credits suites Williams has composed, seamlessly weaving themes written across four decades into a dazzling 9 minute track that stands alongside his best work in the Star Wars series.

At 85, and showing no signs of slowing down nor abandoning the Star Wars series, do you believe John will top this suite in The Last Jedi or Episode IX? And if so, why?

JW's definitely moved towards these original suites in recent scores, rather than copy-paste jobs like Azkaban. 

Was The BFG an original suite or more in line with the latter?

5 hours ago, crumbs said:

Simple question.

The Jedi Steps and Finale is widely considered one of the best end credits suites Williams has composed, seamlessly weaving themes written across four decades into a dazzling 9 minute track that stands alongside his best work in the Star Wars series.

At 85, and showing no signs of slowing down nor abandoning the Star Wars series, do you believe John will top this suite in The Last Jedi or Episode IX? And if so, why?

You mention seamlessly. I find that the March of the Resistance comes in too sudden, not a big fan of that transition. The rest is, as you mention, indeed dazzlingly good.

I don't think the TFA end credit is THAT great. Pretty good. Fun to rock out to, definitely. But it doesn't give me the same feelings the other six scores do. I can't explain it.

2 hours ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

If he does choose to score Episode IX, it will (most likely) be his big goodbye to a franchise he has been a fundamental part of for over 40 years. He did superbly with the end credits to ROTS when faced with a similar situation, and I am very anxious to hear Williams now give his last last word in what would truly be the end of musical era as well as the bookend to a monumental achievement. 

Well I'm hoping this time, if he's actually composing it as a send off, he does more than just recycle an old arrangement like for ROTS.

As for the OP's question, it's certainly possible. TFA's suite is really quite something. Here's hoping we get more of that.

Revenge of the Sith had a particularly stunning rendition of Leia's theme that's better than anything in TFA's end credits. The ending of Clones is spectacular as well. Phantom was basically Duel of the Fates and Anakin's Theme, but, you guessed it, better than anything in TFA.

In my opinion. YMMV.

It would be a really nice touch if he ended the TLJ credits with Leia's Theme in the same vein he ended TFA's credits. Intertwining Rey's, Luke's and the Force theme together with that gentle orchestrators was a brilliant closer.

I just hope he doesn't revert to a cut-and-paste job, even if they're typically well done (Hook, Azkaban, etc.) He probably spend weeks doing the finale suite for TFA but it was well worth it (and he kept tinkering with it even after sessions finished, so he was clearly invested in the piece).

Well I picked 'Yes, in Episode VIII: The Last Jedi' because the 2nd chapter in the trilogy is where characters are usually more exposed, challenged. If we look at the score for the Force Awakens it felt like A New Hope (jokes about the similar plot aside), I can see The Last Jedi score following the Empire model, hearing the similar themes again but in a much different context. If you compare the statements of the Force Theme in A New Hope to Empire (Binary Sunset vs Rescue from Cloud City), you'll hear what I mean. I hope the First Order get a fully formed Theme in the next one like Williams did with The Empire in Empire Strikes Back. I'm hoping the film is more of a challenge to score for Williams and it pushes him a little outside of the normal Star Wars model. I don't mean drastically, along the lines of Rey's Theme, it felt fresh to Star Wars, especially the Celeste/Mallet opening. 

I actually think The Last Jedi will mop the floor with The Force Awakens, both in score and film.

Not only because I consider Johnson the better filmmaker, and I expect this film to be superior, but because there's seemingly been a lack of endless rewrites this time around. The leisurely and luxurious writing schedule has remained, but there doesn't seem to have been the abundance of recording sessions that TFA had.

It sounds weird but I feel like TFA was an entree to JW just getting back into the swing of writing for Star Wars. Several cues feel very 'by the numbers' while others are exceptional and as energetic as his prequel writing. I partly feel that his procedure mid-way through writing TFA probably affected some of his writing, either through fatigue or general tiredness.

Not to mention rewriting so many cues with alternate versions.

22 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I actually think The Last Jedi will mop the floor with The Force Awakens, both in score and film.

Not only because I consider Johnson the better filmmaker, and I expect this film to be superior, but because there's seemingly been a lack of endless rewrites this time around. The leisurely and luxurious writing schedule has remained, but there doesn't seem to have been the abundance of recording sessions that TFA had.

It sounds weird but I feel like TFA was an entree to JW just getting back into the swing of writing for Star Wars. Several cues feel very 'by the numbers' while others are exceptional and as energetic as his prequel writing. I partly feel that his procedure mid-way through writing TFA probably affected some of his writing, either through fatigue or general tiredness.

Not to mention rewriting so many cues with alternate versions.

we all hope for something like this.  However, to expect it, is to set yourself up for disappointment and an unnecessarily negative view of the score. 

6 minutes ago, Tom said:

we all hope for something like this.  However, to expect it, is to set yourself up for disappointment and an unnecessarily negative view of the score. 

If John can reach the same heights as TFA I'll be ecstatic. If he tops it, I'll be over the moon.

I definitely think the Episode 8 film will be better than the Episode 7 film.

As for the score?  I have no idea.  I do think Williams will deliver some amazing new renditions of Rey's Theme for sure, but beyond that.... who knows!

Assuming he hasn't written an entirely new theme for her... that wouldn't surprise me, either. Anakin's Theme didn't reappear much after TPM.

Indeed. :(

I only remember one use in ROTS (Anakin's Dream, microedited on the OST from memory?)

Was it even featured in AOTC? The OST End Credits featured a cameo but that never made the film, so...

Wasn't it used in an early unreleased cue in AOTC?  God its been ages since I've studied the prequel scores.

On CD, its definitely just in the AOTC end credits

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/25879-the-thematic-material-of-the-star-wars-saga-possible-community-project/

Tracked! But really well tracked! Sort of makes you wonder if Lucas wanted more of Anakin's theme since that old fool Williams seemed to forget all about it and Han Solo and the Princess.

Anakin and Padme's meeting at the beginning features Anakin's theme. But that's it until the credits end.

You are aware I'm referring to that scene from Attack of the Clones, right? It uses Anakin's Test from The Phantom Menace. It's the best tracked scene in the prequels, though, for sure. I still remember thinking that Williams was just doing it over the first time I saw the movie.

Yeah isn't that cue tracked from TPM? Anakin's Test?

Did Williams write original music for that scene? The music immediately preceding it seems to be from the Homestead sequence later on in AOTC, when Padme comforts Anakin after he's brought back Shmi's body.