The Matrix Resurrections (Fourth Matrix film)

Giftheck

55 minutes ago, KK said:

It'll probably end up being Giacchino, which would be a very very sad step down from Davis.

It’s the logical choice based on their previous collaborations but I can’t imagine him adopting that sound. 

This can’t be good.

Only, maybe, if they do a sequel that ignores 2 and 3.

Those two movies killed the mythos for me. So much, it even taints the first one. I genuinely wish I had never seen the sequels. That way I could have lived my life in unknowing bliss.

The Wachowski brothers ruined my childhood!

On 6/23/2019 at 7:53 AM, Dieter Stark said:

The Wachowski sisters or whatever the fuck they are, are one hit wonders.

The first Matrix, yes, but Bound wasn't bad either. At least, these two movies showed lots of potential and promise, something they never fulfilled with their successive movies. Never understood why they completely lost it after that.

I loved the first Matrix, Speed Racer, Sense8.  I liked the other Matrices well enough, and Jupiter Ascending (what a goofy bonkers operatic space weirdo movie).  Cloud Atlas is on our watch list, although given its length we haven’t found a great time in our toddler-raisin’ lives.  I’m onboard for pretty much anything the Wachowskis do, and the fact that Lana is involved in this release means it’s jumped from “probably will see if reviews are good” to “will see.”

3 hours ago, rough cut said:

This can’t be good.

Only, maybe, if they do a sequel that ignores 2 and 3.

Those two movies killed the mythos for me. So much, it even taints the first one. I genuinely wish I had never seen the sequels. That way I could have lived my life in unknowing bliss.

Agreed. I haven't seen the 3rd one because I completely lost interest after watching the 2nd one.

The thing is, the first Matrix said everything that needed to be said, in a well-rounded package, just like The Wizard of Oz. Revisiting the universe can only work when you come up with something that is an improvement on the original or with something that's is completely different. 

Well, the quality was completely different!

27 minutes ago, mstrox said:

the fact that Lana is involved in this release means it’s jumped from “probably will see if reviews are good” to “will see.”

I bet Keanu Reeves will be a lady this time.

43 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

The thing is, the first Matrix said everything that needed to be said, in a well-rounded package, just like The Wizard of Oz. Revisiting the universe can only work when you come up with something that is an improvement on the original or with something that's is completely different. 

Like Blade Runner 2049!

I love everything that Matrix Reloaded added to that world.  Exploring more in depth the idea and implications of sentient computer programs, I eat it up.  There's still some of that in the 3rd, but it got bogged down with less interesting stuff.

Just now, Stefancos said:

Maybe it did and you just didnt catch it.

It requires an open mind

Okay, I'll bite. Why was 2049 an improvement over 2019? Or why was it completely different? 

It explored the concepts of artificiality and his perceived limitations in a way the original Blade Runner never could. Probably because in 1982 a.i. was just a sci-fi concept.

Huh?

On 8/13/2019 at 2:13 PM, thestat said:

And Davis' collaboration with Juno Reactor needs to be explored further.  Mona Lisa Overdrive is still very likely the leading and certainly the most organic techno-orchestral fusion of all time and it's 17 years old. How did these people collaborate? I mean Juno was HUGE back in 2002 so to have them do this with Davis-----awesome. But what did they do, how did they come up with the rhythms, the crazy orchestrations etc.

Totally agreed. Whoever saw the suitability of Ben Watkins in the musical MATRIX universe, was a genius. Both elements work wonderfully on their own, but the organix mix is something to behold; Juno's hard beats work suprisingly well with Davis' sharp tonal explorations. Also, I'm eternally grateful to the collaboration, because otherwise we probably wouldn't have had Juno's best album to date -- LABYRINTH -- which very much has the same musical DNA, even though it concerns Spanish conquistadors.

I hope both Davis and Ben return for this sequel.

As for the idea of a sequel itself, I'm kinda torn. I thought the existing trilogy finished beautifully in its kind of Christ analogy, even though it was also a bit downbeat. I would be curious to see how they would develop the storyline; re-inserting Smith would be a stretch, I think. He's had his day in the sun.

Cos this is not like Event Horizon where Orbital laid some beats under/over Kamen, this is an actual collaboration:

True, although soundscape-wise the marvelous EVENT HORIZON score deserves credit for break(-beat)ing this particular ground, a couple years before THE MATRIX.

Did you see Blade Runner 2049 at all? Or were you just watching for Ford to turn up?

First of all, I don't think either movie is exploring A.I. and its limitations, but rather 'what is life?' and 'what makes us human?'. That's the philosophical angle or basis of the Blade Runner universe. And secondly, movies about A.I., its limitations and our dependency on it, were already well explored in 2001: ASO, which was way before 1982.

12 minutes ago, Thor said:

I would be curious to see how they would develop the storyline; re-inserting Smith would be a stretch, I think. He's had his day in the sun.

If they still consider the Matrix Online game canon (which is really the only way they can revive Trinity) then Smith survived... and assumed a 'new and more powerful' form that was never actually shown in the game prior to its shutdown.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

I would be curious to see how they would develop the storyline; re-inserting Smith would be a stretch, I think. He's had his day in the sun.

They need two agent Johnsons, not related.

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

Okay, I'll bite. Why was 2049 an improvement over 2019? Or why was it completely different? 

It's simple maths. 2049 > 2019.

1 hour ago, Gistech said:

If they still consider the Matrix Online game canon (which is really the only way they can revive Trinity) then Smith survived... and assumed a 'new and more powerful' form that was never actually shown in the game prior to its shutdown.

Interesting; was not aware of the game. How does the game account for Trinity's death in the films?

22 minutes ago, Thor said:

Interesting; was not aware of the game. How does the game account for Trinity's death in the films?

The link Jay provided doesn't go right up to the story event featuring Trinity's fate. Here's the cliff's notes version:

Neo and Trinity are the culmination of the Machines' 'Biological Interface Program' - their efforts to translate human DNA perfectly into machine code. As a result, both Neo and Trinity are part-program (which explains how Neo was able to jack in to the Matrix with no physical connection and his ability to directly interface with machines). The machines recovered Trinity's code from her body and for a time Trinity existed in a 'incomplete' state in the Matrix with no RSI. Ironically, it is Trinity returning to the source which truly reboots the Matrix - it seems they were both parts of a key to doing that.

The last the moviegoing public saw of Neo and Trinity, they were dead.  I can't imagine WB signing on for a movie where they're both just runnin' round doin' Matrix stuff without any explanation, or with a convoluted explanation provided in a MMORPG from a decade ago.  They'll pull a Lucasfilm and wipe that secondary canon clean to make the movie a true follow-up.

7 minutes ago, mstrox said:

The last the moviegoing public saw of Neo and Trinity, they were dead.  I can't imagine WB signing on for a movie where they're both just runnin' round doin' Matrix stuff without any explanation, or with a convoluted explanation provided in a MMORPG from a decade ago.  They'll pull a Lucasfilm and wipe that secondary canon clean to make the movie a true follow-up.

They wouldn't be running about: they both returned to the Source. We know that, at least, Neo did return to the Source in Revelations.

A movie follow-up would still have to explain why they're not dead regardless. They wouldn't even have to go into the whole Biological Interface Program thing: they could just say that Neo and Trinity are trapped at the Source. They could have a brief moment at the start of the film which sparks the mission to bring them back.

As for Smith: he's Neo's counter. If Neo's not dead, neither is Smith.

14 minutes ago, Gistech said:

A movie follow-up would still have to explain why they're not dead. 

It was just a dream.

13 hours ago, KK said:

It'll probably end up being Giacchino, which would be a very very sad step down from Davis.

Even Davis would be a sad step down from Davis 20 years ago. They should go for Randy Newman.

4 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I haven't seen the 3rd one because I completely lost interest after watching the 2nd one.

Oh, man, I envy you! To be able to live life without that horrible splinter in your mind!

I wish I had had the foresight...

I preferred the third to the second, although the second has more iconic moments.  I'm sure we'll rewatch them at some point before 4 comes out - maybe the 20-ish years since I've seen the sequels will let me look at them with fresh eyes.

21 hours ago, Thekthithm said:

Why does everyone love Reloaded so much? I found its manic style made it almost unwatchable. Everything was a lot calmer in Revolutions, it's a better film.

You're right.