Gistech

The Matrix reboot (rumour)

90 posts in this topic

17 minutes ago, nightscape94 said:

Or the use of clipboards in 2001: A Space Odyssey.  That film will never become a true classic because of these glaring flaws.

Or Paul Reiser's hair. 

Hair styles come and go, but computer technology only improves!

If being a future hipster means smoking roll-ups, living in Notting Hill, and listening to Mumford And Sons, then I'll pass.

My mum has smoked roll ups for over 45 years! She's not a hipster. Its just cheaper 

Mumford & Sons were great at first. Then they changed their style/formula and it all went a bit shit. They found a lucrative niche and they binned it! 

Richard likes this

Totally and completely 100% agreed.

Great Ian probably stretching it a bit though. The first album only has 2 or 3 good songs. They're shtick is unlistenable these days anyway. 

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

My mum has smoked roll ups for over 45 years! She's not a hipster. Its just cheaper 

Not in Notting Hill, it isn't!

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

Mumford & Sons were great at first. Then they changed their style/formula and it all went a bit shit. They found a lucrative niche and they binned it! 

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Totally and completely 100% agreed.

Hipster music at its worst. It has nothing to say, and it has no idea how to say it.

It's the same with that "one day like this a year'll see me right" band, whatever they're called.

Bilbo Skywalker likes this

Bring back Steely Dan and King Crimson!

Those big hits they did, they were modern folk anthems. There was an almost tribal power to them, such was their stirring warmth. Music for togetherness. Sure they were a fad, they came along at the right place at the right time, but that is the very definition of pop music. Real hipsters give pop a wide berth, Mumford & Sons included.

Well, Crimson is still touring, as a 7-piece band, and just released a very nifty box set.

The Dan has no plans to record again, but they do tour, occasionally, so never say never.

6 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Those big hits they did, they were modern folk anthems. There was an almost tribal power to them, such was their stirring warmth. Music for togetherness. Sure they were a fad, they came along at the right place at the right time, but that is the very definition of pop music. Real hipsters give pop a wide berth, Mumford & Sons included.

So, because I don't like Mumford And Sons does that make me a real hipster? What does a real hipster listen to? True, I don't think that many true hipsters like to sit in the dark, listening to THE MUSICAL BOX (in dts 5.1, thank you kindly), but you never know...

I dunno anything about hipster trends or whatever, or how M&S's music fits into pop trends because I don't listen to any modern pop channels... all I know is their first album was fantastic and different and like Quint said, came out at the right time.  Then their second album had a couple OK singles but was shit otherwise, and they kind of half-dropped their folky side; Then they came out their third album which was complete and utter shit, and they completely dropped all aspects of their folk side and sounded like any other crappy band on the radio these days.  Such a quick downfall!

Every band has a specific amount of things to say.  Some have less to say than others.  In certain cases, they have one quick expression in them at that's it.

Richard likes this

17 minutes ago, nightscape94 said:

Every band has a specific amount of things to say.  Some of less to say than others.  In certain cases, they have one quick expression in them at that's it.

Woah.  That's a great analysis.

16 hours ago, Quintus said:

Ah, The Matrix's equivalents of the archaic computer screens seen in Alien; technology of the time once again the achilles heel of any application for true cinematic 'timelessness'.

Ha I always think that too, but the line still cracks me up regardless. 

What you scared, Marv? Are you afraid? :mrgreen:

14 hours ago, Richard said:

It's the same with that "one day like this a year'll see me right" band, whatever they're called.

Hey, I like Elbow!

18 hours ago, Jay said:

I dunno anything about hipster trends or whatever, or how M&S's music fits into pop trends because I don't listen to any modern pop channels... all I know is their first album was fantastic and different and like Quint said, came out at the right time.  Then their second album had a couple OK singles but was shit otherwise, and they kind of half-dropped their folky side; Then they came out their third album which was complete and utter shit, and they completely dropped all aspects of their folk side and sounded like any other crappy band on the radio these days.  Such a quick downfall!

I thought Wilder Mind was a fine album. I always assumed they dropped the banjo because of the  overwhelming negativity towards Babel, but it's clear that it is Marcus' preferred sound if you listen to his work on The New Basement Tapes. Great artist, as far as I'm concerned. Wish the band got to venture into a more natural evolution and did more songs like the one they wrote for Wuthering Heights. 

I'll pay them attention again if they do another album like their first one, otherwise their music is not for me any more.

And I saw them in concert on the cusp of their second album coming out, and it was a great show!  But the singles I had from that third album man, totally terrible

14 hours ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

Hey, I like Elbow!

There's a song on one of their recent 

CDs, about New York. I quite like that one. Perhaps I'll give them another listen.

15 hours ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

Hey, I like Elbow!

Have you heard Magnificent (She Says) yet? As always it has nice production, especially in the strings. 

I don't think I have. I haven't had the chance to check out their new album yet.

That's what they all say. Doesn't make it any less unnecessary.

Essentially the story will be rebooted while the world itself remains intact.  Slapping some TruCoat on there.

fargo%2Btrucoat.gif

On 3/17/2017 at 11:41 AM, Jay said:

I'll pay them attention again if they do another album like their first one, otherwise their music is not for me any more.

And I saw them in concert on the cusp of their second album coming out, and it was a great show!  But the singles I had from that third album man, totally terrible

Sorry but I don't get how a band can go from great to totally terrible almost instantly. Anyway, here's his interpretation of "Kansas City," you might like it. 

On 17/03/2017 at 9:18 AM, crocodile said:

No Don Davis = No The Matrix.

Karol

If the Wachowskis had involved themselves they'd probably go for Giacchino if Don Davis ruled out coming out of retirement. But without them, I bet the studio uses Hans Zimmer or one of his factory-built underlings.

Bilbo Skywalker likes this

I don't think Don Davis necessarily enjoys his retirement.

Karol

2 minutes ago, crocodile said:

I don't think Don Davis necessarily enjoys his retirement.

Karol

He did do that one film last year.

On 3/18/2017 at 5:22 PM, Koray Savas said:

Sorry but I don't get how a band can go from great to totally terrible almost instantly. 

What? It happens all the time!