Gistech

The Matrix reboot (rumour)

90 posts in this topic

Most bands have bad second albums, the "sophomore slump"

First album is great, second album, more of the same, but not as good, leading the band to the difficult third album where they try to do something different and fail to convince the fans.

The 2nd and 3rd films flopped because they tried to expand the universe, instead of exploring the concept.

The Animatrix gave us a glimpse of the breadth and richness available within the Matrix concept, but it was seen as a little experimental sideshow.

Now, I lament the lack of original ideas and concepts in screen entertainment at the moment, but if they create films or a series that explore the many dimensions and dramas of awakening from the Matrix - the catch-all fulcrum which the whole universe thrives on - I think they can do well. And with Don Davis. I love Giacchino, but he won't carry the sound like Davis can.

18 hours ago, Miz said:

The 2nd and 3rd films flopped because they tried to expand the universe, instead of exploring the concept.

And they tried to make up for it by cramming a bunch of conceptual mumbo jumbo in that 5 minute Architect scene.

The second one did very, very well domestically, and the third one "only" did 140 million domestically, which is less than production budget.  They made huge profit worldwide, though.  So I'd say that neither flopped, but the third one "disappointed."

And that's 2003 money.  After calculating for inflation....carry the 1....that's about 2 billion dollars in today's money.