We're Lookin' Good (John Williams)

Thor

Again, another piece I have on a muffled "bootleg" and would like to replace with a clean copy. But all I can find is this bugle and drum version from a few years back:

https://www.amazon.com/Esprit/dp/B000QQTJG4/jwfancom-20

I listened to the sound clip on iTunes, and it's just a dollar, so no biggie on the cost. But I'm curious if there is a more full orchestral version like the muffled one I have.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

Well, the piece is virtually a composition for marching band, so it makes sense to have it performed that way.

Yeah, but it sounds kinda raw and meager in the Esprit version above. The original(?) recording I have sounds like it's performed by a full orchestra (it isn't, but it kinda sounds that way).

The latter video is the one I have on a CD-R (and in file format) -- which has been circulating in bootleg land for decades now (so I'm not surprised someone put it up on the tube). But that first video from the actual event in Indiana in '87, I hadn't seen before. Thanks. Loads of celebrities were there at the opening ceremony, including Oprah Winfrey, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Whitney Houston, Jane Fonda, Don Johnson....but not Williams himself, it seems. 

I downloaded the Esprit version, btw. Even if I don't care for the arrangement, the sound is far superior.

The version going around was from the 1987 4th of July concert at the Esplanade, using naturally an orchestra instead of a band. From the DVD transfer I have, I do find the sound acceptable. Not sure about the sound to the file you refer too, as I can't check the youtube link right now, but maybe that one is worst than the one I have.