Inside the Movie Kingdom (John Williams, 1964)

Thor

According to Jeff's site, this 1964 documentary about the movie business was scored by John Williams. But beyond some records online, it isn't available anywhere.

http://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/45fb84f476d8486e84e86b6f7cc1a60c

http://www.atvaudio.com/ata_search.php?keywords=INSIDE+THE+MOVIE+KINGDOM%3A+1964

Does anyone have any more info?

I was just in touch with the audio site linked to above. They could send me the audio from this film, but for $200! Yeah, like that's going to happen....

Bummer. If any of you rich folks want to lay down the dough, be sure to let me know.

27 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

That sounds a bit fishy to me.

Is that site legitimate?

Hard to say, but I think so (even if the mail I received was insanely long with all kinds of information about the formats etc.).

Appears the film is now part of the HBO archives, if we're to believe this e-mail script that someone sent out:

http://lsv.uky.edu/scripts/wa.exe?A3=ind0810&L=AMIA-L&E=quoted-printable&P=1986172&B=--&T=text%2Fhtml; charset=UTF-8&pending=

Also, here's a New York Times article about it, from January 7, 1964:

http://www.nytimes.com/1964/01/07/tv-to-offer-an-informal-look-at-moviemaking-in-many-lands.html?_r=0

You have to pay to read the whole article. This is about as far as I've gotten in my research.

I wonder if I could contact anyone asking for this, for the needs of my dissertation.

In that way I had been able to aquire both You're Welcome and The Katherine Reed story, BEFORE they were available publically,

Someone in the HBO archives, I assume, but judging from the mail exchange above, they seem to be struggling to find it too.

• 2 years later...

I was wondering if anyone has made any headway in researching this? My own stopped in 2017, as mentioned above, due to financial obstacles and whatnot.

I know a girl who works for HBO Nordic, but I doubt she can be of much assistance here.

• 4 years later...

In case anyone would like to see the NY Times article:

“Inside the Movie Kingdom,” a 90‐minute candid report on filmmaking around the world, will be televised March 20 at 9:30 P.M. by the National Broadcasting Company.

About 45 stars will appear on the show according to Milton Fruchtman, producer, who said the names would be listed alphabetically. The stars include Julie Andrews, Carroll Baker, Ingrid Bergman, Melvyn Douglas, James Garner, Gregory Peck, Anthony Perkins, Anthony Quinn and Debbie Reynolds.

The program, produced by Sextant, Inc., in association with the editors of Life magazine, was filmed on and off movie sets in Hollywood, Rome, Paris, Madrid, Barcelona, Istanbul, Tokyo and elsewhere. Mr. Fruchtman said no scenes had been staged and there would be no interviews with the stars.

The purpose of the show, the producer explained, was to depict the actual production of movies and offer glimpses of stars in off‐stage activities. For instance, there is a shot in which Miss Bergman sits in her dressing room and talks to a make‐up man about the press's invasion of privacy as she is being prepared for a scene in “The Visit,” filmed in Rome.

Last week Mr. Fruchtman set up five cameras in the Beverly Hills home of Miss Baker and filmed a party attended by movie celebrities. “This will give the television audience an idea of what creative people do in their spare time,” the producer said.

Mr. Fruchtman said 150 miles of film had been shot for “Inside the Movie Kingdom,” but only a mile and a half will get on television. Twelve film editors are laboriously selecting the best mile and a half.

Norman Corwin, who gained fame as a radio writer in the nineteen‐thirties and went on to movie and stage writing, will write the script for “Inside the Movie Kingdom.” Mr. Fruchtman said he was negotiating with “a working movie star” to be the host of the show, which will be sponsored, in alphabetical order, by Best Foods, Colgate‐Palmolive and P. Lorillard Company. *

With United States Surgeon General Luther L. Terry scheduled to issue a report Saturday on smoking and its relation to health, special news programs on the subject will be televised that evening by N.B.C. and the Columbia Broadcasting System.

“Smoking and Health,” the N.B.C. show, will be presented from 7:30 to 8:30. The program in preparation for several months, will include statements by authorities in medicine and scientific research.

The C.B.S. program will be televised from 7 to 7:30 with Harry Reasoner as anchor man. The network said “C.B.S. Reports” was also preparing a program on smoking and health that would be presented in the next few weeks.

Thanks for the blurb. Of course, in the 4 years since this thread was last active, I've since acquired the film. So if people want to listen to a couple of clips from the score, they can tune in to Part 4 of the John Williams Television Music podcast series:

https://celluloidtunes.no/celluloid-tunes-79-the-complete-john-williams-television-music-walkthrough-part-4-28th-international-edition/

Cool.  I just listened to your selections from the film.  I was getting some Adventures of Mutt vibes from the first piece.