Sony's Marvel Universe (Venom, Morbius, etc)

Giftheck

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/826801-sony-pictures-venom-movie#/slide/1

Really? As much as Venom is my favourite Spidey villain I have no appetite for Sony to screw up the character a second time like they did with the Spider-Man franchise.

3 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

will this be part of the MCU? maybe they do not screw him that much then...

He is my favourite Spiderman villain too.

From this article:

What we do know is Sony has been trying to do a Venom film for years. The character was more or less forced into Sam Raimi’s Spider-Man 3 and afterwards several people worked on different versions of his story, including Kurtzman, who then went on to make The Mummy. Last year, news broke that writer Dante Harper was working on a script that would reintroduce the character as the star of his own franchise, unrelated to the new Spider-Man films starring Tom Holland. But that was the last we heard of it.

With this announcement coming only from Sony and not Marvel, it seems likely a standalone take on the character is still the plan

So it's definitely not likely to be set in the MCU.

You got people suggesting Life is a prequel to Venom though. Gotta love the crack theories.

They basically said the same thing in the first article posted, although admittedly there has been no detailed announcement other than setting a date.  Sony's ventures into other Marvel territory can get convoluted now that they are in the MCU with Spidey. 

I was against that version of the Venom character at first but I grew to like him quite a bit, to the point where I was disappointed when they cast Agent Venom aside for five issues to return Venom to his savage state and then return Venom to its original host (as much as I am a fan of Eddie Brock's incarnation of Venom).

Well, there are some gulliable sorts who do think that Life is a prequel, but they clearly fail to spot something when they read that article, and that something is that the whole Life being a Venom prequel thing?

Having said that, I do think they're angling for Eddie Brock's version of the character. Especially given that's where the comics have ended up - back with the Eddie Brock version of the character.

On 19/3/2017 at 5:40 PM, BloodBoal said:

It's obviously just a joke. The fact that Ryan Reynolds is in Life is the giveaway. He can't possibly be part of both the Fox/Marvel Cinematic Universe and the Sony/Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Sure, we've seen a few actors show up in multiple cinematic universes in the past, but these were generally small roles, not for a continuous part, and with the films generally separated by many years (now that I think about it, I'm not even sure there are actors that showed in multiple cinematic universes. Some may have showed up both in Marvel and DC movies, but before the cinematic universes were created). Here, Ryan Reynolds is currently in the Deadpool franchise. Do we really think he could "simultaneously" show up in the Sony/Marvel Cinematic Universe? Doubt it.

Well.... chris evans was main cast as the human torch and cap america...

• 2 weeks later...

Because Deadpool and Logan did it, Venom's doing an R rating too. And another attempt at kicking off a competing cinematic universe by Sony using Marvel's own characters (with whatever Spider-Man charavcters Sony has left).

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/venom-will-reportedly-be-an-r-rated-kickoff-at-a-sony-marvel-universe-188

I never understood the appeal of this character. I think it's more of a nostalgic 90s thing when the character was considered "cool", similar to Power Rangers or WWF wrestlers. I thought he was lame even back then.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

As they say, though, Feige previously claimed there was no plans for Venom in the MCU and he seems to be surprised by the announcement.

Disney should just buy Sony at this point. Would make everything easier.

Is it possible that he can take place in both a universe that contains Spider-man from the MCU, but not necessarily the larger MCU itself?  Meaning, they can use Tom Holland as Spider-man and they can have a shared movie, but Venom would never cross over to any other property?  Truthfully, by the time I was finished typing out that sentence I stopped caring.

Just now, nightscape94 said:

Is it possible that he can take place in both a universe that contains Spider-man from the MCU, but not necessarily the larger MCU itself?  Meaning, they can use Tom Holland as Spider-man and they can have a shared movie, but Venom would never cross over to any other property?  Truthfully, by the time I was finished typing out that sentence I stopped caring.

I think that's what they're going for here. In the same word as the MCU but not interacting with the other MCU properties in any way aside from Spider-Man.

• 7 months later...

My personal reaction? Meh. Tom Hardy looks like he'll pull off Eddie Brock, but the trailer doesn't show Venom (the common criticism, though you can see the Symbiote in one shot). I think this teaser came far too soon, as they're clearly not done with the VFX yet (Venom himself will be done entirely with mo-cap from what I've heard). The film is going to be an adaptation of both the Lethal Protector and Planet of the Symbiotes storylines. I'm going to see this but it will be with low expectations.

• 2 months later...

Garbage. Garbage, everywhere. Hot takes:

Is that how you're supposed to pronounce symbiote? Because that's not how they did it in Spider-Man 3.

How can Venom look like that (with those eyes) if it hasn't attached to Spider-Man yet?

Trailer music is the same as one of those Infinity Wars movie. That's original.

I bet that shot of full-on Venom-face is in the last 10 minutes of the movie. Maybe even a stinger scene!

12 minutes ago, Fargo said:

How can Venom look like that (with those eyes) if it hasn't attached to Spider-Man yet?

Good ole fashion Sony retcon!

19 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Spider-Man is in this movie, how do we know it doesn’t attach to him?

If Sony ends up keeping that under wraps (having Spider-Man play an actual part in the story, rather that just a glorified cameo on TV or something), then I'll be pleasantly surprised. I'm not holding my breath for that though.

31 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Spider-Man is in this movie

You state that as if it is a fact, when that is simply a completely unconfirmed rumor.

I'm willing to bet Tom Holland is in no way, shape or form involved with this movie. As for Spider-Man... I'm skeptical.