Sony's Marvel Universe (Venom, Morbius, etc)

Giftheck

1 hour ago, Gistech said:

Stop trusting these critics and make your own mind up on things (not you personally, crumbs, but in general). I've lost count of the number of times they got it woefully wrong in recent years. 

I tend to feel that in order to say “screw consensus”, you need to have an understanding of why that is the consensus in the first place. 

1 hour ago, Bilbo said:

just mediocre non entities (see Age of Ultron). 

I'm as tired from the comic-book superhero genre as the next guy, but Age of Ultron is a fine film. Its got one of Marvel's best villains, and develops its multiple characters much more gracefuly than Infinity War does, and while it is darker than the original The Avengers, its still got Whedon's wit.

If you really want a meidocre-to-bad example, look no further than Thor: The Dark World. I'm struggling to recall the plot of that film, or individual beats in the action setpieces, for that matter.

1 hour ago, Gistech said:

Stop trusting these critics and make your own mind up on things (not you personally, crumbs, but in general). I've lost count of the number of times they got it woefully wrong in recent years. The Last Jedi's reception debacle is a very recent reminder.

I'd be more concerned at a Cinemascore polling as that reflects real audience reactions. In any case I'll give the film a chance, for better or ill.

The critics were positive about TLJ, the audience weren't so.

Venom is another casualty of the Superhero cash cow, all the studios jumping on superhero properties and releasing pure garbage just to get their foot in the game. Sony should just throw in the towel and give up on these ideas, Venom was a botched, half-baked, weak-ass character from the get-go because he's nothing more than a fucking Spider-Man villain. 

I don't know, I get the feeling the actors signed on and just had the worst shit to do. Tom Hardy, Michelle Williams and even Riz Ahmed are big names that have proven their acting chops, it's another case of good actors let down by poor writing and probably poor direction.

23 minutes ago, Arpy said:

The critics were positive about TLJ, the audience weren't so.

And the inverse is true on so many films too. The point I was making is that you should trust your own judgment rather than that of critics.

Just now, Gistech said:

And the inverse is true on so many films too. The point I was making is that you should trust your own judgment rather than that of critics.

I hear what you're saying but I'm also not going to reward a studio who shamelessly butchered this movie (which, from all accounts, is a complete mess) just to appease the MPAA.

Sure, the film might have been a hot mess before they started hacking away to secure PG-13, but betraying the filmmaker's intentions and the source material just to let teenagers through the door is partly why Sony is so derided as a movie studio.

I do trust my own judgement, and that of the critics, and I'd take their opinion over random joe schlub any day. I've been recommended bullshit by friends and critics alike, but 8/10 times the critics are right, you know, the people who review films for a living. I've disagreed vehemently with the critics before, but sometimes that's a result of passing trends and fads within the film community.

Strictly speaking, I like to watch a film first without knowing what critics are saying, so I can asses it for myself without bias. Only after watching it (and if I want to really examine what a movie does to me, I'll usually watch it twice) I'd look into critics' reviews to see if some of their observations about the movie haven't quite dawned on me in assesing it.

But, that doesn't mean I have to see every movie. That's what marketing is for: I wasn't taken by the marketing to Venom (and really, I'm just getting fed up with this genre) so I have no intention of seeing it. I'm willing to not condemn it unless I see it, but I'm perfectly happy remaining ignorant both to its faults and its strengths. 

4 hours ago, crumbs said:

LOL! 27% on Rotten Tomatoes!!! 😂

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/venom_2018/

Congratulations once again Sony, you incompetent fucks! I hope gutting your movie into an incomprehensible mess was worth that oh-so-important teenage demographic that, after reading reviews, will now just wait until the Bluray leaks online and pirate the movie.

Sony knows there’s money in R-rated comic book movies.  Deadpool and Logan work.  I’d bet the non-gutted movie sucked too.  Making it a PG-13 was probably a salvage move, as it broadens the possible purchase base significantly.

#VENMO!!!!

You guys are either going to think me insane or stupid, but I don't care.

Venom wasn't a bad film, certainly not deserving of the scathing it's had from critics. It's no masterpiece, and its plot is clunky at times (something that could be fixed by extending its runtime), but I found it had a certain charm. I thought Tom Hardy did well with both Eddie and Venom. It won't change the superhero genre, and it's no Deadpool or Logan, but I still had a good time watching it and would happily see it again.

It gets a 7/10 from me.

16 minutes ago, Wojism said:

Does it set up a sequel with Carnage? We've seen two Venom movies but nothing about the other red guy. 

Spoiler

Yes.

19 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

What else are you going to do with those spare two hours, stay here and talk to Mattris? 

If you mean spend two hours trying to get through a single dissertation he writes with every post, then sure.

$205 million on worldwide opening? Interesting, because even liking this film, I thought it would underperform.

https://deadline.com/2018/10/venom-a-star-is-born-opening-weekend-global-international-box-office-1202478000/

On 10/4/2018 at 4:47 PM, Gistech said:

It gets a 7/10 from me.

I'd much rather pay attention to your opinion than a critic's. This has an 87% audience score on RT. That suggests to me that it's a fun popcorn movie that critics don't want to be seen to be praising.

Give a detailed critical analysis for the latest character study - sure. But for the latest loud, fun popcorn superhero film? I honestly don't give a shit about what the critics think.

(you might guess that I hate professional film criticism in general)

Kermode tends to be more on the audience's side than most when it comes to popcorn.

But I feel even he has trouble immersing himself if the premise of a movie is stupid. I loved Passengers because of the idea that Pratt's character does, but he didn't because of the premise. I feel critics should appreciate when a movie isn't trying to be 'realistic' but be fun or thought provoking in another way.

And if a movie all the critics 'hate' is number 1, that's something wrong right there. It's like, 'if you like this genre and this filmmaking style' you'll probably like it. If you don't, you won't'. Not everyone has to like a film for it to be considered 'good' because no two people have the same tastes. (end of pretentious rambling :P)

8 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

And if a movie all the critics 'hate' is number 1, that's something wrong right there. It's like, 'if you like this genre and this filmmaking style' you'll probably like it. If you don't, you won't'. Not everyone has to like a film for it to be considered 'good' because no two people have the same tastes. (end of pretentious rambling :P

And then there are the Transformers movies!

I don't think it's healthy to swing too far the other way of what you describe: I find the attitude of "This movie is supposed to be _fun_, turn your brain off!" to be potentially just as obnoxious and disheartening. Why the hell should I have shut off my brain to have a good time?

There's been plenty of great, lighthearted, kooky, adventurous, goofy, whatever movies over the years that have a certain zest of intelligence or wit to them. There are directors who made their career off of these things! (Joe Dante, Blake Edwards, and to a lesser degree, Steven Spielberg come to mind.) 

Am I pretentious 'cause I don't like watching movies where Melissa McCarthy and co. act like grown-up dumbass Looney Tunes kids? I don't think the people who see those are necessarily dumb by any stretch, mind. I think some people when watching a movie really do just want to relax the critical part of their brain for a little while...just don't get pissy at a dude or dudette that asks for more. 

11 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

And then there are the Transformers movies!

I don't think it's healthy to swing too far the other way of what you describe: I find the attitude of "This movie is supposed to be _fun_, turn your brain off!" to be potentially just as obnoxious and disheartening. Why the hell should I have shut off my brain to have a good time?

Fair point, and yes, you can go too far in that direction. But I generally think critics often fail to see the fun in a film (and again, Kermode does this the most that I see).

Gravity is one case where they got it right - Cuaron wasn't out to make the next pretentious character study (I really don't like those most of the time) but to make a 90 minute rollercoaster with spectacular visuals and tension. Critics recognised it for what he was trying to do. One rare occasion where I think the oscars got it right.

In this case we don't know until watching it, but that audience score makes me suspicious that critics might've missed something.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Its available for streaming today.  The 17th for physical media.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Shriek is often Carnage's #2, so that's not surprising.

I thought the idea was to build to a Spider-Man crossover anyway, but I'm wondering if the new deal between Disney and Sony has made that easier.

• 1 month later...

VENOM 2 MIGHT BE RATED R!

Filming has begun on MOGLI director and LORD OF THE RINGS actor Andy Serkis' VENOM 2 with Tom Hardy. And today we have word from producer Matt Tolmach said that the sequel will consider an R-rated version due to JOKER's box office success.

Specifically, Tolmach says:

I mean, I think you always have to think about [it], now that that works. Having said that, our movie worked really well. Our franchise exists as it is, and I don't think anybody is looking to just say, ‘Hey, they [did it]!’ We have a place in the world. So it isn't like suddenly everybody's considering what to do with the rating. … I think what Joker does is it tells you that you can succeed. For a very long time, that was the narrative. And Deadpool sort of wrestled that to the turf, and then Logan, but for a long time, that was considered totally forbidden. … So you know, I think it's the greatest thing in the world that R-rated movies are being embraced by massive audiences. And it just means that there are more opportunities for that kind of storytelling.

How bad do YOU want to see an R-rated version of Andy Serkis' VENOM 2? Make sure to hit us up and let us know below!

Tom Hardy is reprising the role of Eddie Brock in VENOM 2 along with Michelle Williams as Eddie's wife Anne, Naomie Harris as Shriek, and Woody Harrelson as Cletus Kasady / Carnage. Meanwhile, the first film was rated PG-13 for intense sequences of sci-fi violence and action, and for language.

https://www.joblo.com/horror-movies/news/producer-says-venom-2-might-be-rated-r