Most wanted Jerry Goldsmith Deluxe Treatment by Varese Sarabande?

Brundlefly

It won't take too much time until the special labels are almost completely done with Goldsmith or at least with the popular titles that are still left to be expanded. This is excluding the Varese titles which will just be gradually expanded, but at least they will. Now my question is what you want to be expanded next by Varese! What three titles are you unpatiently waiting for?

0 people voted for

MOM AND DAD SAVE THE WORLD

more than 15 minutes are missing

5 people voted for

MEDICINE MAN

approx. 15 minutes are missing

0 people voted for

LOVE FIELD

the amount if missing music can hardly be estimated

6 people voted for

RUDY

approx. 20 minutes are missing

0 people voted for

MATINEE

more than 15 minutes are missing

0 people voted for

CITY HALL

more than 10 minutes are missing

31 people voted for

AIR FORCE ONE

more than 50 minutes are missing

5 people voted for

L.A. CONFIDENTIAL

more than 10 minutes are missing

5 people voted for

U.S. MARSHALS

approx. 35 are missing

9 people voted for

THE 13TH WARRIOR

more than 20 minutes are missing

2 people voted for

HOLLOW MAN

more than 25 minutes are missing

0 people voted for

ALONG CAME A SPIDER

approx. 30 minutes are missing

2 people voted for

LOONEY TUNES: BACK IN ACTION

more than 25 minutes are missing

3 people voted for

TIMELINE

more than 30 minutes are missing

3 people voted for

Another less popular score (ANGIE, CRIMINAL LAW, MALICE, MR. BASEBALL,)

The 13th Warrior is one of my all time favorite scores. Lionheart is also nice. And a complete Air Force One would shut up so many people crying for it. 

They all are (by the token that they all are written for shockingly mundane movies). US Marshals still is the first one that introduced a clear departure from the stuff that came before it. He changed gears for this one. It's not another 'Total Recall' clone.

...and has its virtues more in the other, more romantic material than in the drab thumping action parts. The main theme is a Goldsmith variation of Silvestri's theme for 'Forrest Gump'. Old pro could work around the temp without aping it.

From my one or two viewings of US Marshals, I barely noticed the music. I don't have any of it in my playlists.

My only selection from that list would be Air Force One.

All the others are perfectly sufficient for me as OSTs.

It's a testament to Goldsmith's utter professionalism and technical skill. But I don't need the full score.

Varese would actually service it much better by not doing a full 2 CD release. A one disc Deluxe Edition will be fine, even though most "fans" would hate them.

Some of these releases. I wonder if they just do two CD releases because the fans demand them. Mattesino, Gerhardt, Bulk, Doug Fakes etc, they seem like smart guys. They probably know Executive Decision isnt good enough for a full 2 CD release.

Oh don't go Thor on us. They do two CD releases because they want the whole thing to be out there.

If they did merely an expansion, they'd leave off someone's favourite cue. Far easier to just do it properly, and let fans decide what to remove, if anything.

I will definitely cull AF1 down to maybe 50 minutes.

4 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

If they did merely an expansion, they'd leave off someone's favourite cue. Far easier to just do it properly, and let fans decide what to remove, if anything.

I agree with Nicholas Meyer on this. Fans generally don't know what they want.

These guys are the professionals. They should know how to cut an album. And they should be able to make the call to leave off certain things rather then actually forcing a paying customer to sit down and do the work they should have done.

But it's the same space on the shelf, so...(it's an archival release, anyway or what would anal listmongers like Jason do with their fandom?)

'Small Soldiers' and 'The Haunting' are, at least as far as Goldsmith goes, the more interesting and varied scores - i mean, i love Goldsmith and open fifth horn fanfares but a bit of variety wouldn't do any harm.

But what if including a cue actually makes the album a little bit less good.

I know it's subjective. But there are plenty of albums out there where a lot of the added music just pads the thing out, without doing anything interesting musically.

I'm not going Thor. But there's often a good reason beyond finance why a composer leaves out certain stuff when he's cutting an album.

But we're not talking about a composer forming their album. We're talking about the labels restoring the score, occasionally with the composer helping. And as I understand, they're doing that with the understanding that the point of the re-release is to present all the music. Even JW seems to have realised this for the JP box.

3 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

But what if including a cue actually makes the album a little bit less good.

Do what Intrada does and include 'disruptive' cues as extras at the end of the main program.

1 minute ago, publicist said:

Archival releases! They have long ceased to be about the music.

Yes, and I understand that. Because it's what the fans have been screaming for for ages. But it doesnt always represent film music, which is never written for it's own sake, well.

The JP expansion is actually a perfect example of what Stefan is talking about, musically. There are now at least 10 minutes of meandering stuff that no one ever needed on disc but leaving them off...can you imagine the slaughter?

1 minute ago, publicist said:

The JP expansion is actually a perfect example of what Stefan is talking about, musically. There are now at least 10 minutes of meandering stuff that no one ever needed on disc but leaving them off...can you imagine the slaughter?

Yet TLW really benefits from the added material. Through in truth they could have probably lost about 10 minutes. But a little bit of bloat scattered throughout the album is fine. It's the long stretches of musical nothing that turn me off with some of these long releases.

It's not a legit release, but there's a solid half hour in the middle of the complete KOCS that just sits there.

Oh KotCS is a meandering mess IMO. Nowhere near the league of JP or TLW.

There are lots of bits of JP that I rarely listen to, but they absolutely should be on disc for those that do like them.

I think it has been established that since most of us put this stuff on iTunes & Co. and rarely if ever listen to the cd again it doesn't matter. My Deluxe Edition cd's are in perfect shape. Once converted to mp3, they are never touched again.

The crossfades often are a nuisance, yes. But going through a new cd is actually a great way to familiarize yourself with it. And i don't need much time to identify the lame spots.

If a score contains too much dead weight I usually write it off anyway.

If a complete Goldsmith release contains 85 minutes of music. 10 minutes of which is filler I'm happy to just leave it, because that's quite harmless. If it contains more I tend to just not bother with it and return to the OST.

It's the pits. Without even the trashy charms of 'Rent-a-Cop'. 'Mr. Baseball' is goofy stuff but it's a cheesy listenable score with some cute tunes. There is a dumb hate for scores like this, 'Fierce Creatures' and 'I. Q.' even if those scores are much more inventive than, say, 'Insurrection' or 'Executive Decision'.

39 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

It's not a legit release, but there's a solid half hour in the middle of the complete KOCS that just sits there.

Maybe some people like those more atmospheric, calm parts. You can listen to these cues in another situation.

29 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I never bothered with that. Even though according to some on FSM it's one of his best.

Never played my Mr. Baseball CD either.

Isn't it Mr. Rounders or Mr. Cricket over there? 

My answer is Air Force One.

@Brundlefly, for some reason you made the poll multiple selection instead of normal.  Surely not your intention...