Most wanted Jerry Goldsmith Deluxe Treatment by Varese Sarabande?

Brundlefly

I'm in no way a Goldsmith aficionado, but Lionheart is one that I'd love to see a proper expanded, and finally completed, release for.  Air Force One is another.  I chose Rudy for my last option.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9.5.2017 at 6:59 PM, nightscape94 said:

I'm in no way a Goldsmith aficionado, but Lionheart is one that I'd love to see a proper expanded, and finally completed, release for.

So it is not yet complete?

By the way, now there's another day labels could recognize as reason to release new expansions: The Goldsmith Day (9th May)!

I would have to say Small Soldiers, to me it was a fun film great soundtrack to references to others like Patton and Bride of Frankenstein by Waxman. While I do have a complete copy I got from Joe Dante it looks weird a burned CD-R with a case I made from my printer I would love to see an official release of this good score.

Yes, and additionally the OST is very lean.

IMO Varese should begin with treating the scores that have those insufficient OSTs: Air Force One, Small Soldiers, U.S. Marshals, The Haunting and Along Came a Spider. They started with Chain Reaction and Executive Decision and hopefully they will continue with that.

That's why I emphasized that their deluxe treatment is not important because of their high quality but because of their OSTs' low quality;)

I always considered Chain Reaction, Executive Decision, Air Force One, U.S. Marshals and Along Came a Spider to belong together, because they're all enjoyable auto-pilot scores that very well accompany GTA:P - especially with filler material from the deluxe editions! So hopefully Varese will complete its "Jerry on auto-pilot"-series.

4 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

So it is not yet complete?

On 2017-3-20 at 3:34 PM, Jim Ware said:

Aside from some very short source cues, the two volumes are complete and contain more music than the (terrible) film.

• 4 months later...
8 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Are there certain dates, Varese uses to release a new batch of CD Club titles every year? Like Black Friday or Halloween or whatever...

Nope.  See here:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/20226-the-specialty-film-score-label-catalog-of-new-titles/&do=findComment&comment=722665

I'm surprised AF1 hasn't come out yet. It's probably the highest profile 30-minuter which has yet to be rescued.

It would be nice to see The Mummy come out too. Although both of these would seem largely symbolic to me, as we've already got them in their entirety.

I struggle to think off the top of my head of any unreleased and unobtainable Goldsmith I need. I've felt that way since The Edge came out.

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

I'm surprised AF1 hasn't come out yet. It's probably the highest profile 30-minuter which has yet to be rescued.

That and Small Soldiers

10 hours ago, Jay said:

So, since 2015, have they returned to release 4 batches a year?

1 hour ago, El Jefe said:

I’d say Lionheart, AFO and Small Soldiers.

Timeline has about 30 minutes missing.

Fixed it.

Yeah, I think AFO and SS will be a revelation, when you listen to them in full length. Especially because the best parts of the scores are absent from the OST. The Russian stuff from AFO and the comedic and action stuff from SS.

6 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Someone said Love Field has a major highlight left off the OST. What is it?

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=53394&forumID=1&archive=0

User Heath at FSM said in 2008, "There's a cue in that movie for Haysbert, Pfeiffer and the kid as they high-tail it out of the bus station that's a real joy for me. Playful, dancing pizzicato strings and staccato woodwinds, yet with a layer of menace and urgency. It's really lovely. Best cue in the movie and Goldsmith didn't put it on the album! I swear Goldsmith enjoyed messin' with our minds. wink"

And then later whoismatthew gives a time estimate for that one cue and mentions others in the film:

"That cue alone is around 5 minutes easily. Then there are a number of smaller, short cues that would make great longer listenable cues on an expanded album."

But I would point out that there might be even more unreleased musical highlights than this, because much of Goldsmith's score to this film went unused, including a lot that made it to the very brief album -- in fact even though it featured some unreleased music including the above highlight, the score in film actually runs shorter than the 28 minute album! And knowing how much was regularly left off those short Varese albums to avoid high reuse fees, I would surmise that it is likely there is a decent amount of music that has never been heard by anyone (unless you were at the original sessions), and if expanded with a Deluxe Edition, this one might yield more surprises than usual beyond Heath's unreleased highlight that's in the film. One of the more mysterious and enticing titles since it was substantially a rejected score!

Yavar

Fierce Creatures is mentioned in the poll. We know the album contains material not in the film (not written for the film?) because the score is so short and Goldsmith added to it to make a worthwhile album. Is there anything in the film at all that's *not* on the album?

5 hours ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

What the hell is missing from Lionheart? I have all three CD releases from that.

Apparently a percussion cue is missing, maybe alternates? The point is it should be properly re-released on CD in chronological order, remastered, with a second disc if necessary. It's OOP for decades now!

4 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Fierce Creatures is mentioned in the poll. We know the album contains material not in the film (not written for the film?) because the score is so short and Goldsmith added to it to make a worthwhile album. Is there anything in the film at all that's *not* on the album?

Yeah, it was said to be complete, but does anybody know for sure? At least, I don't think that anybody has voted for it.

6 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Well it could be released under their Encore banner then.

Varese should start their 20th Anniversary series:

Air Force One and L.A. Confidential this year,

Small Soldiers and U.S. Marshals next year,

The Haunting and The 13th Warrior in 2019!

With Fierce Creatures, I seem to vaguely recall that when Jamie Lee Curtis was touching a chimpanzee (or something like that) and there was some tender music that I couldn't find on the album. It was a long time ago, but I'm sure I'd have combed the album.

1 hour ago, The Doctor said:

Home Alone 2 just wasn't complete without Celebrity Ding Dang Dong.

This isn't even part of the score! Source music! Why did LLL put it to the main program?!

2 hours ago, Display Name said:

Varese should start their 20th Anniversary series:

Air Force One and L.A. Confidential this year,

Small Soldiers and U.S. Marshals next year,

The Haunting and The 13th Warrior in 2019!

This!

5 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

This isn't even part of the score! Source music! Why did LLL put it to the main program?!

They didn't.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

They didn't.

It is the last track of the main program. Maybe it was intended to be the first track of the bonus section, but then they put "Bonus Tracks:" at the wrong place.