Most wanted Jerry Goldsmith Deluxe Treatment by Varese Sarabande?

Brundlefly

It would be nice if not, but sadly they grabbed the perpetuity rights for all the titles since the 89/90. Nobody is sure about Leviathan though.

Did you notice that half of the scores by Goldsmith not completed yet start either with an "M" or "L". Is it a weird kind of curse on those letters?

11 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Okay, I had never a crossfade on any Goldsmith expansion making for sour notes, but this sounds really shitty. Wasn't thid release fucked up anyway because of the non-existing dynamic range?

The Fugitive? I have no idea about the dynamic range issues, but it is (acceptably) louder than the OST, and according to Jeff Bond it was a rushed production, hence some erroneous track titles. If this gets reissued at some point, I hope they undo those annoying crossfades and include the real "Helicopter Chase" cue (not the album track)

10 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

It would be nice if not, but sadly they grabbed the perpetuity rights for all the titles since the 89/90. Nobody is sure about Leviathan though.

Did you notice that half of the scores by Goldsmith not completed yet start either with an "M" or "L". Is it a weird kind of curse on those letters?

I guess they're reserved for Mike at LLL. ;)

• 4 months later...
28 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Looks like @Amer and @Marian Schedenig have to reconsider their third choice, since Leviathan turned out not to be Varese's matter.

I think this might turn up at Quartet Records feet someday. 

Quartet always comes out with the most surprising Goldsmith releases.

They were the reason we *discovered* (and not that long ago) that Varese didn't control the 90s scores Total Recall and Basic Instinct in perpetuity (at least, not outside of the U.S.) Actually slight revision: I guess Prometheus released Basic Instinct (almost) complete first. Quartet also reissued Studs Lonigan, originally put out by Varese. So in fact that means that over half the Goldsmith scores on Quartet were former Varese titles. :) (The other two were the definitive versions of Papillon and King Solomon's Mines, both surprises as well.)

I hope/suspect you're on to something, Amer...though I'd be equally happy if Leviathan turned up on LLL or Intrada, I think it's possible that Quartet as a European label might be more equipped to locate the complete score if it was recorded in Rome.

Copied from other thread:

How about considering the substantially-rejected score to Love Field, in light of the comments from Roger and Doug at Intrada? Surely that now merits inclusion on anyone's "Big Three" list?

Roger: I just finished revisiting this film, and I admit having completely forgotten what this film was about. The score is what I imagine Goldsmith would have written had he scored To Kill a Mocking Bird. It's full of tenderness, pain and human warmth. Something you don't hear much these days. Interestingly, I infer the film was partially rescored, as throughout the film there is a piano score that is clearly not Goldsmith. Turns out it was written by Bill Payne. Some very nice piano music, in fact. It was used over the end credits instead of what Goldsmith wrote. There's some pretty stuff there and I imagine if you were an average Joe picking up the soundtrack after seeing the film and not hearing Payne's work on the album you'd be mighty disappointed. Naturally the CD has a lot of the Goldsmith music cut from the film. There are some wonderful Goldsmith cues in the film not on the album. Given the album is only 29 minutes long...there was definitely room to include them, but probably another victim of AFM fees at the time. Not knowing how much music was recorded and not in the film or CD, it's hard to say how long the score really is. But an expanded edition would be great, including a separate section for the Payne score. Should all fit on one CD. I checked...it's still controlled by Varese. But everyone is clamoring for expanded issues of Air Force One, Small Soldiers, The Mummy, US Marshalls (as am I), but let's not forget this small gem. It's every much as worthy.

Doug: It's also worthy of note that much of the score in the film - which uses a larger orchestra including brass and actually features suspense and action material - is missing from the album, which is mostly the quiet and sedate pieces which may not even appear in the film. I didn't scrutinize too deeply but much of the Goldsmith score seemed to be re-scored later with a larger orchestra. I was very disappointed when I first listened to the album and discovered so much of the bigger music from the film was missing and only the smaller cues were included - with no explanation. Had the full orchestral Goldsmith score heard in the film been what was released, I imagine this score (and album) would be held in higher regard.

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7704

This could clearly be a *revelation* if ever a Deluxe Edition were released, and is therefore now officially the MOST in need of an expansion of any Goldsmith title Varese controls.

Yavar

@publicist, @John Takis, @Display Name, @Matt S., @Richard, @El Jefe, @FrankV, @Pieter_Boelen, @Jay, @Kühni, @someonefun124, @Margo Channing, @Yavar Moradi, @Marian Schedenig and @idril,

would you like to reconsider your choice that you gave to Small Soldiers, since we just fucking got that one!

Jesus, that's a lot of these blue "@"-things.

I will vote for Leviathan instead.

EDIT: Where is it gone?!

Okay, so I will take Lionheart. But seriously, where is Leviathan?

EDIT: I just found the answer myself.

That's another awesome news!

19 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

@publicist, @John Takis, @Display Name, @Matt S., @Richard, @El Jefe, @FrankV, @Pieter_Boelen, @Jay, @Kühni, @someonefun124, @Margo Channing, @Yavar Moradi, @Marian Schedenig and @idril,

would you like to reconsider your choice that you gave to Small Soldiers, since we just fucking got that one!

I'll take me some 13th Warrior then, if that's not too much to ask for. ;)

5 hours ago, publicist said:

US Marshals, then and we're covered as far as Varése's 90's are concerned (don't need AFO, the boot sounds fine).

I agree with you that there are little titles left that are really necessary:

• The Final Conflict (few cues are still missing) would be nice

• Lionheart (out of print and still not complete?) is necessary!

• Medicine Man (approx. 15 minutes are missing) would be really nice

• Rudy (approx. 20 minutes are missing) would be okay

• Matinée (just a few minutes are missing) would be okay

• Air Force One (more than 50 minutes are missing!) is really necessary!

• L.A. Confidential (approx. 10 minutes are missing) would be nice

• U.S. Marshals (more than 30 minutes are missing) is really necessary!

• The 13th Warrior (more than 20 minutes are missing) would be really nice

• Hollow Man (more than 25 minutes are missing) would be really nice

• Along Came a Spider (approx. 30 minutes are missing) I don't need it at all

• Looney Tunes: Back in Action (more than 25 minutes are missing) would be really nice

• Timeline (more than 30 minutes are missing) would be really nice

I don't have too much to say.  I'd like Varese to expand every Goldsmith score they can basically.

Obviously Air Force One remains my #1 choice until they finally get around to it.  They must know people want that one, starting to feel like they're saving it for last on purpose.

Is anybody from Germany considering putting in an order with Varese/Intrada/SAE and wouldn't mind throwing another Small Soldiers DE on top? I'd pay for the CD and share in shipping (and, God forbid, custom) costs. Ta! :)

Brundlefly -- a few revisions on your figures: there are cues still missing from The Final Conflict, to be exact.

A Lionheart reissue would be great, but it was virtually complete before between the two Varese volumes (I can expand on this if needed).

Matinee is in fact missing over 30 good minutes of music (there is an unmentionable with over 70 minutes, though the sound is rather poor).

I'm pretty sure L.A. Confidential is missing more than 10 minutes (Like Rudy, there was a complete isolated score track on one DVD release).

US Marshals is missing 35 minutes if you want to be more exact: https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=109822&forumID=1&archive=0

Now that some titles can be removed from your list, perhaps you can add some more individual selections? In light of Roger and Doug's comments at Intrada which I provided above), I really think Love Field should be an option now. :) When I did a similar poll like this at FSM a couple years ago, the results were as follows:

"The clear #1 winner: SMALL SOLDIERS, with 29 votes! I think Varese has gotten a loud and clear message about what score people want next.
In solid 2nd place, AIR FORCE ONE with 23 votes. (Some people wanted Randy Newman's rejected score to be included and some people didn't care.)
3rd place surprised me as I find it a fairly generic action effort and I had no idea it was so beloved, but I'm guessing the brevity of the original album is playing a major role in people wanting more: U.S. MARSHALS with 19 votes.
We then have a TIE at 4th place with LEVIATHAN and THE 13TH WARRIOR at 15 votes. (If the latter is released multiple people have expressed interest in Graeme Revell's rejected score being included.)
Right behind them at 5th place we have the first "Classic Jerry" score on the rankings: THE OTHER (14 votes).
The rest of the titles received under 10 votes each, ranked as follows:
8 votes each: PLANET OF THE APES, THE MEPHISTO WALTZ, THE HAUNTING, TIMELINE, and HOLLOW MAN
7 votes each: THE OMEN, THE FINAL CONFLICT, MEDICINE MAN, MATINEE, and L.A. CONFIDENTIAL
6 votes: MOM AND DAD SAVE THE WORLD
5 votes each: OUR MAN FLINT, IN LIKE FLINT, RAGGEDY MAN, RUDY, LIONHEART, and ALONG CAME A SPIDER
4 votes: LOONEY TUNES: BACK IN ACTION
1 vote each: MALICE and ANGIE"

So I would recommend also adding The Other based on its popularity in that poll, and if you're still including Lionheart, why not also make a choice for Planet of the Apes: The 50th Anniversary Deluxe Edition (since it is that important anniversary year, and the Varese complete release had disappointing sound quality compared to the incomplete Intrada before it -- we need a Matessino restoration!) And if you have one more new space available like I think, maybe Mom and Dad Save the World deserves a spot. :)

Yavar

You know, when you paste in text copied from another website, after it shows up you can click the "Paste as plain text instead" popup that pops up to not have it maintain the background coloring and font size from where you copied it from

If you click the quote button first (the button that looks like a pair of quote marks), then the quote from an outside source will appear in a nice box.  Like this:

"The clear #1 winner: SMALL SOLDIERS, with 29 votes! I think Varese has gotten a loud and clear message about what score people want next.

In solid 2nd place, AIR FORCE ONE with 23 votes. (Some people wanted Randy Newman's rejected score to be included and some people didn't care.)
3rd place surprised me as I find it a fairly generic action effort and I had no idea it was so beloved, but I'm guessing the brevity of the original album is playing a major role in people wanting more: U.S. MARSHALS with 19 votes.
We then have a TIE at 4th place with LEVIATHAN and THE 13TH WARRIOR at 15 votes. (If the latter is released multiple people have expressed interest in Graeme Revell's rejected score being included.)
Right behind them at 5th place we have the first "Classic Jerry" score on the rankings: THE OTHER (14 votes).
The rest of the titles received under 10 votes each, ranked as follows:
8 votes each: PLANET OF THE APES, THE MEPHISTO WALTZ, THE HAUNTING, TIMELINE, and HOLLOW MAN
7 votes each: THE OMEN, THE FINAL CONFLICT, MEDICINE MAN, MATINEE, and L.A. CONFIDENTIAL
6 votes: MOM AND DAD SAVE THE WORLD
5 votes each: OUR MAN FLINT, IN LIKE FLINT, RAGGEDY MAN, RUDY, LIONHEART, and ALONG CAME A SPIDER
4 votes: LOONEY TUNES: BACK IN ACTION
1 vote each: MALICE and ANGIE"

1 hour ago, Kühni said:

Is anybody from Germany considering putting in an order with Varese/Intrada/SAE and wouldn't mind throwing another Small Soldiers DE on top? I'd pay for the CD and share in shipping (and, God forbid, custom) costs. Ta! :)

Ordering from Varése directly is 33$ (ca. 28€). It ain't gonna get much cheaper than that.

4 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

A Lionheart reissue would be great, but it was virtually complete before between the two Varese volumes (I can expand on this if needed).

Yes, please. I have always been wondering why everyone was so sure about this.

How much music is missing from Love Field, City Hall and Mom and Dad?

A Planet of the Apes/Escape from the Planets of the Apes set from Varese Sarabande would be cool!

People are sure because they're in the know. No one has ever brought up a single unreleased cue from the score (though as always, it's possible there may be unreleased alternates or unused cues, I suppose). Also I'd be surprised, since Varese produced a "Volume 2", if they didn't want to fill it out with as much previously unreleased music as possible. Now I did say "virtually" complete, because there is a single repeated cue (the finale) between the two Varese volumes. When re-arranging the cues into chronological order, one must remove the repeated finale from the second half of the cue labeled "The Future" ... unfortunately that leaves the cue with an abrupt ending, and I suspect there was a little more to it for it to have a natural ending rather than connecting to the duplicated finale cue. So a remastered complete and chronological release of Lionheart on CD would be a wonderful thing, especially if it restored whatever little bit (even a few seconds as is likely) to the end of that cue so it's more natural rather than abruptly cut off. If the finale duplication is removed, the entire score should (juuust barely) fit on one CD, assuming no further alternates or unused cues to include.

There is an footwarmer for Mom & Dad Save the World in pretty bad sound quality (a cassette tape from the sessions) which is 57 minutes long. Assuming that's the complete score (which I haven't checked since I've never seen the film), that means there is at least 16 minutes missing from the score compared to the 41 minute, Varese album.

City Hall got a complete score breakdown from DeputyRiley at FSM some time ago, so we know it is missing at least 11.5 minutes (again, hard to say whether there may be unused cues or significant alternates), or a little over a quarter of the score: http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=110759&forumID=1&archive=0

Love Field...it's impossible to say how much is missing, because there are quite a few cues on the album but not in the film, as well as cues in the film but not on album (including one major highlight track that multiple people have commented on). But since the score was obviously rejected in large part (even had a replacement composer come in and write some cues), there really is no way for laypeople like us to figure out how much unreleased music there is! We just have to depend on Varese eventually releasing all of the recordings made for the film, judging from what Roger and Doug wrote over in this Intrada thread: http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7704&sid=be0a1e16d44ce7de1241c68b0f5d9ac7

(DeputyRiley never did an in-film breakdown for this, but what would be the point, since so much score went unused and/or replaced by non-Goldsmith music?)

Malice seems like one of the least needed expansions, with only 7 unreleased minutes in the film: http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=110814&forumID=1&archive=0

Your 15 minute figure for Medicine Man is accurate, but in case you want the details here's DeputyRiley's work again: http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7704&sid=be0a1e16d44ce7de1241c68b0f5d9ac7

And David Maxx at FSM took up the baton (along with me) in doing CSBs after Deputy Riley stopped doing them, coming up with the following for Along Came A Spider (~24 unreleased minutes in film):

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=124338&forumID=1&archive=0

Over 20 unreleased minutes from The Last Castle, BTW, even though that's not Varese-owned: http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=110369&forumID=1&archive=0 (I think DeputyRiley forgot to note a couple of alternate film versions though.)

Yavar

3 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

I really wonder if scores like Angie or Malice will ever get an expansion.

I would think/hope that, once all of the other more significant Goldsmith scores that can be expanded, are expanded, Varese will just decide to finish the rest off if there's anything unreleased remaining...even Mr. Baseball. ;) I'm a lunatic so I'll buy 'em all...and I'll bet you if limited to 1000 copies like many expanded releases from more obscure composers, these lower-tier Goldsmith efforts will still have no trouble selling out.

Re: Angie in particular, no one has done a Complete Score Breakdown but I like the score well enough and at some point I'll get around to it for The Goldsmith Odyssey (if not before then). We always make a point of discussing unreleased music.

Yavar

• 1 month later...
On 8/12/2018 at 3:09 AM, Brundlefly said:

Is there a new poll at the FSM forum already?

You (and others) prompted me to start a new one yesterday, but it's not getting the enthusiastic response my prior one did, sadly. But perhaps you'll appreciate it at least as I provided info on missing music for many scores:

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=129939&forumID=1&archive=0

Yavar

So it is not known at this point, when the next batch will come?

7 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Air Force One is getting a 4K blu-ray release later this year. Maybe The Deluxe Edition will tie in with that. 

Small Soldiers, The Cowboys AND Air Force One in one year? That'd be a kickass year for Varese!

• 10 months later...
On 7/5/2019 at 11:44 PM, Yavar Moradi said:

1. If Robert had stayed at Varese, Air Force One was his next priority to expand.

I assume, we can still expect it as one of Varese's highest priorities.

2. Love Field has 15-20 minutes of unreleased music (including a 10 minute long action cue which he sadly had to leave off because of re-use fees!) according to Robert's recollection.

That sounds like Love Field should be expanded by Varese right after Air Force One and U.S. Marshals. I mean a "10 minute long action cue" left off the album?!

3. The Fierce Creatures album was definitely every note of the complete score, and then some! Jerry wrote and recorded several extra cues to pad out the album to full length.

Nice to know.

4. He basically confirms that Criminal Law's album was the complete score, and in a bit that we cut out of the podcast for redundancy, he confirmed that between both volumes of Lionheart, he included every single cue for the score (I did not bring up the one cue "The Future" which was missing its ending, crossfaded into the repeat of the finale cue).

Again, nice to know.

5. He confirms that both The Final Conflict and Lionheart are controlled in perpetuity by *him* and the label he originally founded to release them -- Masters Film Music -- and *not* controlled by Varese Sarabande in perpetuity, despite their collaborating with him originally on Lionheart and later releasing an (incomplete) Deluxe Edition of The Final Conflict. Robert indicated that definitive complete versions of both of these scores could possibly still be produced by him, post-Varese departure!

Does it mean that he will probably sell the rights to Intrada or La-La Land and let them do the job? I would be very excited for definitive editions of The Final Conflict and especially Lionheart!

6. Jerry's rejected score to Babe (which I've heard was 75-90% completed, in full written score which still survives) was definitely *not* recorded in Melbourne, as planned. According to Robert, Jerry "pulled out before he went to Australia" to record it and tackled an Alex North re-recording with his suddenly freed-up time. So it didn't happen despite some records in Melbourne indicating it was. He also says "it's not out of the question", in regards to a brand new premiere recording of Jerry's work, perhaps even performed live to film in concert! As a big fan of the film, that is certainly an exciting prospect!

That should be done by Tadlow along with a re-recording of Planet of the Apes!

38 minutes ago, Richard said:

There already is a rerecording of PLANET OF THE APES. I've not heard it, though.

That synthesizer cum percussion recording? A full fledge organic recording ala the original orchestration would always be welcome but dont expect it anytime soon specially in this time frame.