• Announcements

• Jay

Donate to JWFan, win a CD!   05/30/17

Hello!

We are significantly behind on our funds for keeping JWFan alive, and need to collect donations again.
      As an incentive, I am offering a series of free CDS to anyone who donates over a certain amount!   Donate at least $10 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $250 goal:   Tyler Bates - God of War; Ascension (OST, La La Land Records) Danny Elfman - Planet of the Apes (OST, Sony) Danny Elfman - Taking Woodstock (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Identity Thief (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (OST) Michael Giacchino - Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (OST, Varese Sarabande) Dave Holmes & Various - Ocean's 11 (OST, WB Records) Joel McNeely & Various - Hollywood '94 (Varese Sarabande) Joe Kraemer - Jack Reacher (OST, La La Land Records) John Williams - Born on the Fourth of July (OST, MCA Records)   Donate at least $20 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $500 goal:   John Barry - First Love (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - The Challenge (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - In Harm's Way (2009 Intrada edition) Jerry Goldsmith - The Red Pony (Varese) Alan Silvestri - Dutch (La La Land) Shirley Walker - Willard (La La Land) John Williams - Family Plot (Varese Sarabande) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $30 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $750 goal:   James Horner - Gorky Park (OOP Kritzerland Edition) James Newton Howard - Outbreak (2CD, Varese Deluxe Edition) Laurence Rosenthal - Clash of the Titans (2CD, Intrada) John Williams - The Fury (2CD, La La Land) John Williams - Jane Eyre (OOP, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $50 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $1,000 goal:   Jerry Fielding - The Wild Bunch (3CD, FSM) Ira Newborn - The Naked Gun trilogy (3CD, La La Land) Shirley Walker and Various - Batman: The Animated Series Volume 3 (4CD, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer     All shipping will be paid by me to anywhere in the world!   I will pull names from a hat for each pool, and you get to pick whatever CD set you want if I pull your name!   To be eligible, leave your JWFan username in the comments area of your donation.  If you want to donate but not be in the running for a free CD, mention that in the comment.   Use this link or the link on the mainpage.       Thank you!   Jason, Ricard, and Andreas.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Brundlefly

Most wanted Jerry Goldsmith Deluxe Treatment by Varese Sarabande?

Most wanted Jerry Goldsmith Deluxe Treatment by Varese Sarabande?   26 members have voted

1. 1. What Goldsmith titles, owned by Varese, would you like to see expanded as soon as possible? You have three choices!

• The Final Conflict (few cues are still missing)
    • Lionheart (out of print and still not complete)
    • Leviathan (more than 20 minutes are missing)
    • Medicine Man (approx. 15 minutes are missing)
    • Rudy (approx. 20 minutes are missing)
    • Matinée (just a few minutes are missing)
    • Air Force One (more than 50 minutes are missing!)
    • L.A. Confidential (approx. than 10 minutes are missing)
    • U.S. Marshals (more than 30 minutes are missing)
    • Small Soldiers (more than 60 minutes are missing!)
    • The Haunting (approx. 30 minutes are missing)
    • The 13th Warrior (more than 20 minutes are missing)
    • Hollow Man (more than 25 minutes are missing)
    • Along Came a Spider (approx. 30 minutes are missing)
    • Looney Tunes Back in Action (no clue of how much is missing)
    • Timeline (no clue of how much is missing)
    • Another less popular score (Fierce Creatures, City Hall, Angie, Malice, Love Field, Mr. Baseball, Mom and Dad Save the World, Criminal Law, Raggedy Man)

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

119 posts in this topic

What repetitions? It's "The Mummy" and not "Powder" or "Deep Rising".

Where are the clean tracks from the complete AFO from? And why is there such a big difference of quality among the unreleased tracks?

20 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Where are the clean tracks from the complete AFO from?

I don't really understand your question.  Are you asking what path the files took from recording studio to whatever bootlegger spread it?  

20 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

And why is there such a big difference of quality among the unreleased tracks?

You're asking why something illegally leaked doesn't sound perfect?  Really?

To answer both questions: Yes - but I'm not interested in such a bootleg. I can wait.

I don't think anyone knows the exact path the AF1 leak took from the internal people who were supposed to have it and the masses who aren't, but nobody really knows that for any bootleg.

A general answer is:  Someone who worked on the film had the music, he gave a copy to a friend, who gave a copy to a friend......

As for quality, in the early days copies would be of less quality than the original due to the nature of analog copying (a cassette dub of a cassette of a... etc).  In the digital age, the reason could be that someone may have started with WAVs, but chose do make into low quality mp3s (or whatever format) before giving to a friend, etc.

Hope that answers your questions.

For what it's worth, my boot has perfect sound on all tracks. A bit brighter and louder than the Varése, which isn't a problem per se.

Yes please!

By the way: On the Goldsmith website someone talked about his "Big Four". Any idea what that is supposed to be?

Williams, Goldsmith, Horner, Zimmer!

7 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Unit, corps, God, country! 

18 hours ago, Stefancos said:

No, he said something of "Goldsmith's Big Four".

And by the way, the big four of composers would be Williams, Goldsmith, Herrmann and Morricone.

On 3/21/2017 at 5:19 PM, publicist said:

Nothing i need on disc. Lots of repetitions. This is a perfect 55-60 minute score.

I largely agree for that specific section. A lot of fairly unremarkable underscore in that bit.

I focus on the unreleased bits of the final sequence - sand storm, sinking plane and escaping the tomb.

However, as the region 1 DVD has a perfect sounding isolated score (with no volume changes), I really can't say I'm clamouring for an official release.

(That's as long as you don't omit the centre channel when editing it when I accidentally did the first time...)

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Williams, Goldsmith, Herrmann, E. Bernstein!

No... 

The other night I dreamt a nice continental drift divide, Mount St Eidelade, LEONARD BERNSTEIN! 

If this isn't an insanely beautiful woman, I'm hanging up.

1 hour ago, I Need About Tree Fiddy said:

No... 

The other night I dreamt a nice continental drift divide, Mount St Eidelade, LEONARD BERNSTEIN! 

I realize this is an REM reference (great song) but Leonard Bernstein really is one of my favorite composers to have ever lived.  Unfortunately, brilliant as it is, On the Waterfront is the only original score he ever composed, so it'd be a little silly to include him on my "Mt. Rushmore" of film composers.

5 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Williams, Goldsmith, Herrmann, E. Bernstein!

That's also legit.

10 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Morricone, Williams, Giacchino, Zimmer!

You must be joking!

Is a one month expulsion in order? With another month on probation?

And i'm meeting him tomorrow!

I was always gonna do that.

1 hour ago, Koray Savas said:

Morricone, Williams, Giacchino, Zimmer!

No Goldsmith but Zimmer?! - Nope!!!

8 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

You won't like me when I'm angry. 

Shaking in my boots!

I'm in no way a Goldsmith aficionado, but Lionheart is one that I'd love to see a proper expanded, and finally completed, release for.  Air Force One is another.  I chose Rudy for my last option.

On 9.5.2017 at 6:59 PM, nightscape94 said:

I'm in no way a Goldsmith aficionado, but Lionheart is one that I'd love to see a proper expanded, and finally completed, release for.

So it is not yet complete?

By the way, now there's another day labels could recognize as reason to release new expansions: The Goldsmith Day (9th May)!

I would have to say Small Soldiers, to me it was a fun film great soundtrack to references to others like Patton and Bride of Frankenstein by Waxman. While I do have a complete copy I got from Joe Dante it looks weird a burned CD-R with a case I made from my printer I would love to see an official release of this good score.

Yes, and additionally the OST is very lean.

IMO Varese should begin with treating the scores that have those insufficient OSTs: Air Force One, Small Soldiers, U.S. Marshals, The Haunting and Along Came a Spider. They started with Chain Reaction and Executive Decision and hopefully they will continue with that.

That's why I emphasized that their deluxe treatment is not important because of their high quality but because of their OSTs' low quality;)

I always considered Chain Reaction, Executive Decision, Air Force One, U.S. Marshals and Along Came a Spider to belong together, because they're all enjoyable auto-pilot scores that very well accompany GTA:P - especially with filler material from the deluxe editions! So hopefully Varese will complete its "Jerry on auto-pilot"-series.

4 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

So it is not yet complete?

On 2017-3-20 at 3:34 PM, Jim Ware said:

Aside from some very short source cues, the two volumes are complete and contain more music than the (terrible) film.