The Song " Dialogue from Close Encounters"

davidelange832

I thought you ment the original version from the film score. The one on the "Williams on Williams" album sounds like it has a lot of synths. I have to honestly say that it's the one track I usually skip. A really rare thing for me on any Williams album. So I'm not the best person to tell you what was used on that one...

I suspect the concert version uses synthesizers quite extensively in lieu of regular woodwinds.

If I remember correctly the original film version also employed prepared car horns (those old ones squeezed by hand), synths and woodwinds.

1 hour ago, Richard said:

This is really getting on my tits. "Not song" this, "not song" that. Who the hell cares? The guy joined 11 hours ago, so can we cut him some slack, for f**k's sake?

What are we, the song police?!

Cues are often referred to a songs. We should be celebrating a new member, not criticizing them right out of the gate.

As to what synthesizer it is; find out when it was recorded (1991?) then research what synths were popular, back then (DX7, maybe?).

Technically It may be inferred as a 'song'. Remember the scene in the film when we hear the sadhus 'singing' in the Dharamsala scene in CE3K.  I see The Conversation is actually a 'duet' between the aliens and humans, 

22 minutes ago, Richard said:

Perhaps we should have  a BITCH THREAD, where all our frustrations are taken out on posts and posters, exclusively, and have only nice comments on the rest of the threads?

I made a thread like this years ago!  It's somewhere in Other Topics.

15 hours ago, Bartokus Novus said:

Film version: oboe, vibraphone-esque synth & 2 tubas, basically the same performer overdubbing himself.

Also those car horns as JW himself says in the Collector's Edition interview. They recorded them at different pitches and added them in.

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 5:21 PM, Miguel Andrade said:

I have to honestly say that it's the one track I usually skip. A really rare thing for me on any Williams album.

It really shouldn't even be on there.  Bad choice to include that of all things.

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 2:52 AM, Richard said:

What are we, the song police?!

Sometimes it's better than a Police song, am I right?

220px-Roxannesingle.jpg

I agree.

ROXANNE's not bad, but INVISIBLE SUN, MESSAGE IN A BOTTLE, WHEN THE WORLD IS RUNNING DOWN (you make the best of what's still around),  SYNCHRONICITY II, and THE OTHER WAY OF STOPPING are all better.

Heck, I even like MISS GRADENKO :lol:

18 hours ago, Bartokus Novus said:

Film version: oboe, vibraphone-esque synth & 2 tubas, basically the same performer overdubbing himself.

Album version: oboe, vibraphone-esque synth, 2 tubas, bassoon doubling tuba.

The version as heard on the Williams On Williams CD was completely done on synths by Ralph Grierson.

On 3/22/2017 at 2:36 PM, Richard said:

I agree.

ROXANNE's not bad, but INVISIBLE SUN, MESSAGE IN A BOTTLE, WHEN THE WORLD IS RUNNING DOWN (you make the best of what's still around),  SYNCHRONICITY II, and THE OTHER WAY OF STOPPING are all better.

Heck, I even like MISS GRADENKO :lol:

"Miss Gradenko" is quite enjoyable because it's pure Copeland.... "Mother" by Summers, on the other hand...