Does JW music sound better when your drunk?

King Mark

does JW music sound better when your drunk?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. does JW music sound better when your drunk?

• yes
    • no

Sometimes, but it could be just the enjoyment of the music combined with the enjoyment of the drunken state. So you're not really enjoying the music any more per se, you're just getting an extra body high. I know after a few shots of Jack Tennessee Fire, everything seems better.

Drunk, no.

Stoned or high? It depends. 

If you're on the right high, then listening to E.T. or TFA is an unparalleled experience. A powerhouse of emotion and beauty.

The effects of marijuana slow down the music, so you can savour every note, and more clearly hear what's going on in between the notes.

But it's not a casual experience.

1 minute ago, publicist said:

If you're on the right high, even 'Pirates of the Caribbean' is a sublime experience.

Yes, John, but when the Pirates of the Caribbean are high, the stoned pirates don't get the munchies for the tourists. 

12 minutes ago, publicist said:

If you're on the right high, even 'Pirates of the Caribbean' is a sublime experience.

Actually I dunno. I tried some Giacchino while I was high and it was still boring as fuck.

Not sure if I'm in the minority here, but on the rare occasion I get plastered it never occurs to me to listen to music.  It's the only time music doesn't really cross my mind.  Don't think I can listen to it if my mind is racing around or distracted.

9 hours ago, nightscape94 said:

Not sure if I'm in the minority here, but on the rare occasion I get plastered it never occurs to me to listen to music.  It's the only time music doesn't really cross my mind.  Don't think I can listen to it if my mind is racing around or distracted.

I'm mostly the same, at least in terms of intent listening. When I get drunk (or am in the process of getting drunk), all that works is beat-based popular music, from metal like Rammstein or hardhitting psytrance and goa. Maybe some 80s electropop. Stuff like that. John Williams' music -- regardless of style -- rarely serves any purpose in that state.

JW is great when you're blazed, but probably only if you're by yourself. I fell in love with Tintin in such a circumstance.

I also discovered the layering of Rey's theme with the Force theme at the end of Jedi Steps/Finale while walking home from the pub about a week after I got the soundtrack. Blew my little mind.

53 minutes ago, hornist said:

I hate alcohol and I hate Williams' songs.

What have you done to the real hornist you strange mirror universe tsinroh!???

Only happens a few times a year, but I quite enjoy cracking open a vintage bottle of red, reclining in my comfy lounge chair, then blasting Lapti Nek at full volume out my windows.

Judging by the resulting crowds, the neighbours are big fans as well!

Orchestral music and more intricately written pop I don't like to listen to at all when I've imbibed.

That said, I'll cop to some embarrassing solo drunken singalongs to entire Randy Newman albums in my younger days.

I listen to John Williams practically everyday.  His music is my comfort blanket.  Hard day at work?  Nothing like listening to Journey to the Island to put a smile on your face.  Saying that, I can't deny that on the weekend it is a little of my life's luxuries to have a glass of whiskey and coke, headphones on and relax to random soundtracks.  The majority in my collection are John Williams.  A perfect Sunday evening for me.

Rob

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Listening to Stanley & Iris / Pete N Tillie at work this week has made me a much calmer programmer than usual.  Might keep it spinning for a while!

You're drunk at work?

No.

I was responding to the previous post just before mine, which mentioned listening to JW every day, and mentioned a hard day at work.

I once, years ago, decided I had to finish some programming task drunk. Couldn't get it to work and gave up after a while, but left the PC running. Looking through the undo history the next day was hilarious.

On 3/19/2017 at 5:04 PM, Stefancos said:

Drunk, no.

Stoned or high? It depends. 

If you're on the right high, then listening to E.T. or TFA is an unparalleled experience. A powerhouse of emotion and beauty.

The effects of marijuana slow down the music, so you can savour every note, and more clearly hear what's going on in between the notes.

But it's not a casual experience.

This.

I never really think about Williams or orchestral music when inebriated. But a good high can do wonders! 

Only done it a few times. It didn't always work for me but when it does, it can be a good creative aid. I prefer to drink though.

Thank god!  This day is sucking big time.  Maybe I'll draw upon the advice of this thread and get drunk while simultaneously listening to "E.T. and Elliott Get Drunk" on constant repeat.