Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Stefancos

Sitcoms in the Golden Age of TV?

157 posts in this topic

I used to like Modern Family. These days, when it runs on TV, it bores me. Its novelty wore off a long time ago.

The only long-running sitcom i still watch is Peep Show. Since ages my gf urges me to watch 'Californication'. Should i?

Thats 54 episodes in total. Not that much. Not compared to 200+ episodes of Friends 

I never got into Friends, even in the slightest.  I think it had too much of a tendency to dip into the maudlin and saccharine, especially compared to something like the unapologetically, sublimely antisocial Seinfeld.  Frasier was the prime example of inserting heart into things in a genuine way.

Alexcremers likes this

32 minutes ago, publicist said:

I generally avoid most series after season 4. Curb and Hogan's Heroes excepted.

Pity; you had about another good 3-4 seasons of pure TPB gold left to go. 

Trailer Park Boys. 

20 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I don't think you know much about my worldview, but thanks for the quick reminder of why I started posting and reading much less often outside of the big JW news threads.

You're a bit of a sensitive baby really aren't you. 

3 hours ago, Jay said:

I'd imagine you could start with the Season 2 finale and then just go forward from there, yea.  The love interest guy from seasons 1 and 2 is literally never mentioned again after that.  You'd miss the initial courting of Chris Pratt and Aubrey Plaza, and all of Louie CK's appearances, but the general quality of the show will be consistent from that point

I would say to start at Season's 2 penultimate episode ("The Master Plan") and not the finale since that's when Rob Lowe/Adam Scott come in. There are some inside jokes and minor characters introduced in the rest of 2 that might get missed here and there like the Ron's ex-wife thing and April becoming Ron's assistant, but yeah, Season 3 was when I really warmed to it. I was liking it fine but Scott and especially Lowe changed the whole energy for the better imo. Pretty much the instant they showed up and that bland Mark guy left, the show felt like it found its sweet spot, tonally and comically.

3 hours ago, Quintus said:

👍

Is P&R still on form now, are they still making it? 

They finished a couple years ago.

The quality jumps from Season 1 to 2 to 3 were pretty noticeable to me. Laughs suddenly got harder and more frequent, characters became more well-rounded, situations more inspired (the second episode of 3 where they all get the flu is widely considered peak P&R, probably the first great episode, may not get better for you if you don't love that one). I think it held on reasonably well til the end, it never became terrible but in typical fashion the later seasons regressed a bit. But that middle stretch has some golden episodes if you're enjoying the characters. Of the recent sitcoms I stuck with all the way through their runs (the others being The Office US, How I Met Your Mother, Community) P&R was easily the most consistent and least outstayed its welcome, and had the most fitting series finale.

2 hours ago, Quintus said:

Is P&R still on form now, are they still making it?

The show's ended. 7 seasons.

And yeah, as mrbellamy said, the quality of the writing of the show is pretty consistent throughout all 7 seasons. The first few episodes weren't necessarily laugh-out-loud hilarious, but they weren't bad either.

Good timing @mrbellamy, I just looked up Parks and Rec ep guide since I thought it might have been the final 2 eps of Season 2 that featured Rob Lowe and Adam Scott and not just the final 1 episode, and I was right.

So yea @Quint, I'd say either watch those then season 3 forward, or just start with the season 3 premiere if you want to give the show a second chance after not liking the initial eps of season 1; Of course you can always backfill once you fall in love with the characters

I don't know if that would happen much if that all. I'm not exactly keen on the main blonde character, remember. 

Cheers for the assists though guys, I'll give it a try. 

10 hours ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

I never got into Friends, even in the slightest.  I think it had too much of a tendency to dip into the maudlin and saccharine, especially compared to something like the unapologetically, sublimely antisocial Seinfeld.

We finally agree on something!

Friends is a very consistent, well made, if very vanilla sitcom. 

Aged far better than the Fresh Prince, The Nanny etc. Which are as dated and unwatchable now than most 80's sitcoms.

I wonder if Mad About You is still watchable?

There are still a couple of multi-camera sitcoms out there. Kevin Can Wait and Man With A Plan come to mind. With the former clearly offering more of "King of Queens", though not reaching its quality, while the latter is at least better than "Joey" and the god-awful and boringly unfunny "Odd Couple". It's so sad to see Matthew Perry in such a slow-witted absent-minded state. He was so incredible as Chandler that I can't even comprehend this being the same actor. More of an anti-drinking commercial than anything.

3 hours ago, Quintus said:

If you were older I bet you would have been all over I Love Lucy! 

And is there something wrong with that? Don't you wax lyrically about Alf Garnett? Which is a comedy from the 60's.

You have a strong Cremers like tendency to put down people who are into things that you find a waste of time. Just a little whiff of pompous arse.

KK is a pretty intelligent guy, who watches, enjoys and has reviewed Doctor Who. So is he a moron for having done that?

I guess it's where the Brexit "we're better than them" part comes from.

Haha, I was just teasing you, you ought to know what I'm like by now. I am a snobby fuck when I want to be though, I don't deny that. 

By the way was I Love Lucy's humour tinged with politicism? 

Well Star Trek TOS was produced by Desilu, which was Lucy Ball and Dezi Arness. Paramount only took it over after I think.

So the I Love Lucy show you just admitted to loving led to Kirk, Spock and McCoy.

9 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Haha, I was just teasing you, you ought to know what I'm like by now. I am a snobby fuck when I want to be though, I don't deny that. 

Of course you are, but on the flip side you act like a whiny little bitch when people attack your old favorites. So its swings and roundabouts.

Just now, Alexcremers said:

You say it like it's the worst insult one can make!

If someone called me that, i would have to cut either them or myself!

15 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

So the I Love Lucy show you just admitted to loving

Sorry, what? 

Reading comprehension, Steef! 

12 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Friends is a very consistent, well made, if very vanilla sitcom. 

Aged far better than the Fresh Prince, The Nanny etc. Which are as dated and unwatchable now than most 80's sitcoms.

I wonder if Mad About You is still watchable?

'Vanilla' ... well yes, I do remember the 'whiteness' of the central sextet (despite New York's enormous ethnic diversity) being criticized.

But the likes of Chandler's gay drag-act father and Ross' lesbian ex-wife maybe weren't what you'd necessarily have expected from a big network sitcom.       

I never really got that kind of criticism. Yes New York is a multi-ethnic city. But generally speaking white people tend to hang more with white people, black people with black people etc.

It's far from blatant.

Would the show have been any better had they put in a token?

I prefer masturbation abstinence contests, accidental burning of the Puerto Rican flag, comically militant gays, and making out during Schindler's List to shoehorned diversity.