What's your favourite John Williams SONG?

Thor

7 minutes ago, Thor said:

Isn't "Lapti Nek" by Joseph Williams? And as I asked before, did Williams write "Yub Nub"?

I'm pretty sure that the Huttese lyrics were "written" by Ben Burtt, and the English lyrics were written by Joseph W.

If JW didn't write YUB NUB, then who the @#£% did?!

(edit) Oops! My bad. The Anthology states: Huttese lyrics by Anne Arbogast, English lyrics by BB, arranged by JW, Joseph W, and Ernie Fosellius ( me, neither), so...it's in.

I'll add "Yub Nub" untill anyone says it is NOT a JW piece.

As for "Lapti Nek", I always assumed it was Williams (sr.), untill someone somewhere a few years ago said it was not (sorry for the fussy source memory there). Maybe it was here: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lapti_Nek/Legends

This is how Lapti Nek was credited on the original LP:

"Lapti Nek" performed by Jabba's Palace Band;
Snooty's vocals by Michelle Gruska, Huttese lyrics by Anne Arbogast
Arranged by John and Joseph Williams and Ernie Fosellius

1 minute ago, Cumulonimbus said:

Does Where dreams are born counts? Or do you consider it to be the same as answering For Always?

Anyway, I vote Where dreams are born.

That's a great cue, but it's basically an instrumental of "For Always" with wordless vocals.

5 minutes ago, Thor said:

I'll add "Yub Nub" untill anyone says it is NOT a JW piece.

As for "Lapti Nek", I always assumed it was Williams (sr.), untill someone somewhere a few years ago said it was not (sorry for the fussy source memory there). Maybe it was here: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lapti_Nek/Legends

Wow, that's pretty comprehensive. Curiously, the Anthology does not say that JW didn't compose LN.

3 minutes ago, Cumulonimbus said:

Does Where dreams are born counts? Or do you consider it to be the same as answering For Always?

Anyway, I vote Where dreams are born.

What about JW's whistling, on TWOE? That's got to be in there, surely?

As I said before, in several cases many of these songs weren't written purposefully as such, but they were created later adding lyrics to the existing main theme/melody of the film likely for pure commercial reasons (i.e., to sell records), so there are cases where JW wasn't even directly involved. Even the Home Alone carols weren't originally written as pure christmas carols/songs, but it was later in the game that JW called his friend Les Bricusse and asked him to provide lyrics to the two main themes.

I hear what you're saying, Thor, but shouldn't we go by the end result? Was CYRMM (for example) written as a song, from the outset? Who decided to have Kidder sing (if you can call it singing!) that? JW? Donner? Salkind (o' awful)?

2 hours ago, Richard said:

I hear what you're saying, Thor, but shouldn't we go by the end result? Was CYRMM (for example) written as a song, from the outset? Who decided to have Kidder sing (if you can call it singing!) that? JW? Donner? Salkind (o' awful)?

I think this post was directed at Townerfan.

I agree with you. I know several of these weren't constructed as songs to begin with, but I judge them by their final appearance.

It was 4-5 years ago now, don't remember any details.

It's worth mentioning the lyrics to Childhood were published in a book, and the lyrics to Low Below have leaked via the shooting script.  The lyrics and sheet music to Pick Em Up are for sale for 3 bucks right here:

http://www.musicnotes.com/sheetmusic/mtd.asp?ppn=MN0026518

This includes more lyrics than are heard in the final film version.

There's no such piece as "Yub Nub a.k.a. Ewok Celebration". The title of the piece is "Ewok Celebration", and it was composed by John Williams.

My favorite Williams song is probably "Star of Bethlehem", followed by "Nice to be Around".

5 minutes ago, Ricard said:

There's no such piece as "Yub Nub a.k.a. Ewok Celebration". The title of the piece is "Ewok Celebration", and it was composed by John Williams.

You're right. I've edited the entry. "Yub Nub" is more an affectionate nickname for it, I guess.

Don't forget the other Rosewood songs, "Light My Way" and "Freedom Train" (Williams wrote those right?) 

1. Somewhere in my Memory

2. Star of Bethlehem 

3. Look Down Lord 

*edit*  4. Double Trouble 

3 hours ago, Thor said:

True, but can you see the "progression" I lined out there? How is "Exultate Justi" not a song if the HOME ALONE songs are? And if "Exultate Justi" is a song (with its limited amount of lyrics), how can "Duel of the Fates" not be (also with a limited set of lyrics)? etc.

I get you Thor.

5 hours ago, Thor said:

I wish there were ANY recordings of this, legit or not. There are only 2-3 songs available on the Rita Dove/John Williams video from the 90s. The remaining songs are completely UNHEARD (unless you were there at the Kathleen Battle concert from which the video took its footage).

The Pops concert with the premiere of the three songs from Seven for Luck (Song, Chocolate and Black on a Saturday Night) featured soprano Cynthia Haymon.  Battle was set to premiere the cycle in 1997 with the National Symphony and Leonard Slatkin, but rumour has it that she found the score too difficult...

Williams premiered the three songs on the PBS special during the 1998 Pops season and did the whole cycle, again with Haymon and the Boston Symphony, at Tanglewood, later that summer.

5 hours ago, TownerFan said:

The soloist at the premiere was Cynthia Haymon-Coleman. The piece was initially planned to be performed by Kathleen Battle, but apparentyl she bailed out as the songs were more difficult than she was expecting.

Keith Lockhart conducted selections from the song cycle at Tanglewood several times, from what I gather. Williams planned to record it with the Pops at one point during the late 90s (I seem to remember that Sony even announced it), but the album was apparently aborted late in the game.

Oops, you replied ahead of me... Anyway, it should be noted that plans were to record the cycle with the Boston Symphony. Williams showed great interest in doing so, and even expressed interest in doing another cycle with Rita Dove to fill a full CD. Don't have any recollection of Lockhart conducting the cycle, but wouldn't be much of a surprise... Philip Brunelle conducted the cycle in the early 00's as part of his Witness series of concerts. More recently, Stephan Asbury conducted three songs at Tanglewood, with soprano Elisabeth Baldwin, a vocal fellow at Tanglewood at the time, along with the TMC orchestra. I've also heard that Seven for Luck is regularly used with the vocal students at Tanglewood.

46 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Don't forget the other Rosewood songs, "Light My Way" and "Freedom Train" (Williams wrote those right?) 

1. Somewhere in my Memory

2. Star of Bethlehem 

3. Look Down Lord 

*edit*  4. Double Trouble 

So...basically, you read my post, and then edited your post, so that it looks like I ripped you off.

You should work for Megadodo Publications.

1 hour ago, Not Mr. Big said:

You're right. They are not credited to anyone else in the liner notes (I have the original release), so in they go.

1 hour ago, Richard said:

Two you've definitely forgotten, Thor:

DOUBLE TROUBLE, and the Christmas song, in HP+TPS :D

I have the Christmas "song" listed under 'borderline'. It's mostly instrumental, just a few brief whispering, talkative stanzas. I'll move it to the 'legit' list if the community protests.

"Double Trouble" is definitely missing. I'll add it.

22 minutes ago, Richard said:

GLORIA 

TEMPLE OF DOOM,

WITH OUR LIVES, WE GIVE: they've all got lyrics.

Yup, but personally I don't consider them 'songs' per se, hence they're in the 'borderline' category. More like 'chorales' or 'chants', which is something slightly different. But as I've said, the borders are fussy at times. I'll add the SCHINDLER track to the 'borderline'.

My favourite John Williams song is Theme from Jaws!!!1

8 hours ago, Thor said:

I don't question that the HOME ALONE songs are songs; I'm just saying there's a relatively small leap from those songs to something like "Exultate Justi".

Yes, there's hardly any categorisable difference between those.

And seriously, the only plain *songs* by Williams I'd call favourites are the Rosewood ones. But since they're included as well, I'll add Star of Bethlehem and Dry Your Tears, Afrika.

Thor, I think you forgot 'I Want To Spend My Life With You' from The Paper Chase. 

And you say 'Hold You' and 'I'm Tired' are unreleased, but they're included on the expanded The Fury CD (Varase).

19 minutes ago, Sandor said:

Thor, I think you forgot 'I Want To Spend My Life With You' from The Paper Chase. 

I did! I had completely forgotten about that, as it doesn't feature on the soundtrack album. In fact, I don't even own the song version! Thanks for the reminder -- also in trying to acquire it.

19 minutes ago, Sandor said:

And you say 'Hold You' and 'I'm Tired' are unreleased, but they're included on the expanded The Fury CD (Varase).

Are they? I have the 2CD set and they're not there. Are they on the even newer expansion? [edit: yes, I see that they are. I've removed the 'unreleased' tags]

9 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Yes, there's hardly any categorisable difference between those.

And seriously, the only plain *songs* by Williams I'd call favourites are the Rosewood ones. But since they're included as well, I'll add Star of Bethlehem and Dry Your Tears, Afrika.

I realize now that perhaps a better way to delineate between these things is to have a special category for choral music instead, and leave the pop/jazz things as the real "songs" in a traditional sense. But of course, I would also need to make a distinction between choral music with lyrics and choral/vocal music without lyrics, used more as colour.

9 minutes ago, Thor said:

I did! I had completely forgotten about that, as it doesn't feature on the soundtrack album. In fact, I don't even own the song version! Thanks for the reminder -- also in trying to acquire it.

Are they? I have the 2CD set and they're not there. Are they on the even newer expansion?

Sorry, the songs are on the La La Land release: https://www.discogs.com/John-Williams-The-Fury-Expanded-Original-Motion-Picture-Score/release/4359423

Yup, I edited the post above when I googled the new LLL release. Damn, now I need to get those two tracks as well, without actually getting the whole album! :D

Star of Bethlehem is probably my favourite. Simply beautiful melody and harmonies.

I love "The Long Goodbye" too, but it's frightfully similar to A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes.

"We Don't Wanna Grow Up" is one of the worst songs in existence, and if I went to see a movie which opened with the song "John Goldfarb, Please Come Home" I would probably walk out of the theatre before the title credits were done.

1 hour ago, Sandor said:

Similar to the Cinderella song? Really? I don't hear it at all.....

My bad, I was thinking about this instead. :lol: :unsure:

So there is some resemblance to the original song but not as much as I thought. 

Added "My Inamorata" and "Big Beautiful Ball" from NOT WITH MY WIFE YOU DON'T, which I for some inexplicable reason forgot (it being one of my favourite JW soundtracks and everything).

I've always had a soft spot for The Turtles' "Guide for the Married Man" even if the lyrics are horrendous.  I'm separately a big fan of The Turtles in general so the random intersection of them and Williams I was bound to love.

Yeah, both the video and the lyrics are terribly sexist, but a product of its time. I dig the song itself, though.