Will JWfan last long after John Williams?

We probably had this topic before, but I can't find it.

JWfan has been a small, but very active community for almost 2 decades now. Despite the fact that there have actually been years where John Williams brought out next to nothing, and we found ourselves feeding on scraps of news and the occasional rereleased score.

We're certainly a forum that can last a while without having a new score to talk about. But does this mean JWFAN will survive once John Williams finally retires, or is no more?

In the beginning certainly, there will be increased activity probably and there will be rereleases of scores for several years to come. But after that?

Any thoughts?

I think it'll be around. Althought it may not be as active as before.

But I'm sure at least Stefan will keep posting here.

I guess the real question is: what will JWFan be like after Cosman kicks it?

The forum already hits major slumps with sad regularity, so unless they pull their finger out and broaden the site's appeal I think it will be doomed. It would only take a banner change and some admin effort to modernise and change the place to what it needs to be: a serious and well known resource for all movie music discussion. FSM does not have to be the monopoly on that and this place doesn't always have to be the online destination for an advanced aged and semi retired film composer. 

Do Ricard (and Jason) actually want this old place to become completely obsolete? What a waste that would be! 

It's a tricky one, to be sure. Part of me may not want to continue, but JW's death needn't mean the death of JWfan. Sure, we'll be devastated, and I can't imagine people wanting to post much about "trivial things", for a while, but life goes on, and people get back to normal. JGonline is still going, almost 13 years after his death, and there will be posthumous JW music releases, and plenty of other topics to discuss, so I think it will continue. What form it will continue in, however, is anyone's guess.

My feeling is that once Williams passes, we won't generate as many new members, so over time it'll become a place where just the old crew continues to come to chat.  Eventually that will dissipate as we age and move into different places in our lives.  Hopefully we can keep it interesting for long time to come, though.

1 minute ago, BloodBoal said:

You'll be the one who will kill me! You limey fuck!

I'm Dutch! 

1 minute ago, Quintus said:

The forum on Jerry Goldsmith Online says its last post was yesterday. That's how it'll be here once John Williams has gone. It'll be Stefan, talking to himself. 

If thats the case than Jason might as well give me the Mod codes then.

34 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I agree. Getting closer and closer to the point where I will have to say that I've beena very active member on JWfan for half my lifetime.

I'm already past that point.

2 minutes ago, Godzilla said:

Are those like the nuclear codes?

Yes. Every time someone is made mod or admin, they're sent a briefcase with special codes they have to carry around chained to their wrist at all times.

Such a pain in the arse.

I don't know why everyone thinks this board will die after the maestro passes. I mean most of the discussion on here has nothing to do with Williams' latest scores, so I don't see why we won't continue to discuss pass Williams works and other topics of general discussion.

But I do agree it maybe in the interest of the forum to broaden its appeal.

Just now, Mr. Breathmask said:

I'm already past that point.

And yet you have so few posts! ;)

2 minutes ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

Yes. Every time someone is made mod or admin, they're sent a briefcase with special codes they have to carry around chained to their wrist at all times.

Such a pain in the arse.

Is that what that was in Ubeda?

Will you close the John Williams subforum after he passes?

Like a mausoleum?

2 minutes ago, JohnSolo said:

What a depressing thread.

Why though? The guy is mid-80's. He's not gonna be around forever and if he is he will probably retire.

This is nothing compared to the depressing stuff we posted when Thomas Newman replaced him and he was looking a bit frail in pictures.

Does anybody know how BrahmsFan.com is doing lately? Or even MozartFans.org? Oh nothing like that exists? Sounds right - most enthusiast sites probably realise that it makes more sense to put these dead composers under an umbrella on broader genre sites. Increases their chances of exposure, traffic and community sustenance. 

Lol Jay is delusional, bless him.  

I enjoy it more than Octopussy and View To A Kill too.

It has Christopher Lee, and Moore doesn't look like he's ready for his mausoleum yet.

1 minute ago, Quintus said:

Does anybody know how BrahmsFan.com is doing lately? Or even MozartFans.org? Oh nothing like that exits? Makes sense - most enthusiast sites probably realise that it makes more sense to put these dead composers under an umbrella on broader genre sites. Increases their chances of exposure, traffic and community sustenance. 

Lol Jay is delusional, bless him.  

Because these composers had dedicated internet forums while they were alive and working?

My guess, five years after...you know...this is a ghost town.

I mean, it already practically is a ghost town isn't it. Let's be honest about it here, come on. 

I wish it was thriving, but why on earth would it be? New Star Wars music once every now and then does not drive lasting involvement. 

Sorry to be a negative ninny, but hey it's the reality of the place. 

Just now, Quintus said:

I mean, it already practically Israel ghost town isn't it. Let's be honest about it here, come on. 

I wish it was thriving, but why on earth would it be? New Star Wars music once every now and then does not drive lasting involvement. 

Anti semite!

3 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

BREXIT loving brown shirt! ;)

JWfan now is like people's local pub. We come here because we're familiar with it and the people who come here. And once a year they have a hell of a pub-quiz. (Episode 8)

I know, that's why I'll be sad when it fades out of existence in a few years. 

I don't doubt the pub will still be open for business. But the punters will have long since fucked off. 

6 minutes ago, Bespin said:

At least, my "discography" threads will last, I hope!

Those will be the first to go.  When the food starts running low you have to go for protein sources like the ASMR thread and Tolkien board.

Jerry Goldsmith is dead now for over 12 years and his works are still regularily discussed. That's because he's a genius and his timeless works are still being discovered by new fans to broaden his fandom. Another reason is this tons of expansions that have been released over the last years and the fans' urge to get more of these expansions.

John Williams is a genius as well, so there will always be something to talk about. Moreover, once he does not compose any more (whatever the reason will be), there will still be loads of expansions which are even more wanted than Jerry's.

So - yes, this community will last long after John Williams!