Will JWfan last long after John Williams?

I think you guys are overestimating the effect Williams' death will have on the population of JWFan. You'll basically be losing out on passing visitors who come for updates about the latest score, but other than that, much will remain the same.

You guys make it sound like we only discuss new Williams music, when in truth, about 75% of the discussion here has nothing to do with Williams at all!

14 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

(...) we know that person is here for John Williams. That's what is sort of beautiful about it.

When there is no more new John Williams music, it'll be different. (...)

Hey, I'm here for John Williams!

And trust me, 20 years after he's gone, I'll be still busy udating his discography with new material.

I added some members of this forum as Facebook friends too...So even if this forum disappear, I will always keep in touch with some precious collaborators.

7 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

In 2005 I started hanging out on a Harry Potter forum with many active members from around the world and all sorts of off-topic discussion. Potter seemed like it was pretty tangential but that place whittled down pretty fast after the last book in 2007...by the last movie in 2011 I had moved over to a private forum on Activeboard with about 10 friends. It still exists, last post there was in November. I don't really visit there anymore but I do keep in touch with one person pretty regularly via text. She hasn't gotten around to Cursed Child or Fantastic Beasts by the way.

The reality is that we are all different people from different places at different stages of our lives, with not actually that many (any?) common interests between the entire lot of us except for an enormous amount of passion for this site's namesake. Even our interests in film music differ wildly aside from the old or dead guys. Some of us hardly even follow current film music at all aside from Williams and not all of us buy every LLL set or compilation that comes out.

The one thing that ties all of us together is the promise of new John Williams music. I think we are all much more willing to tolerate those who we have nothing else in common with -- even when those disagreements get aggressive -- because in the back of our minds we know that person is here for John Williams. That's what is sort of beautiful about it.

When there is no more new John Williams music, it'll be different. There's only so much we can really say all at once about his existing output. Even now we've run in circles repeating discussions. There are groups of people here who actually do have much in common with each other and have formed real lasting friendships and those will continue, but who's to say that it will remain on this board instead of a free private forum where they don't have to be anonymous? Would they always continue airing their opinions and grievances on a public forum under an avatar and screenname? I dunno. There might not be enough donations after awhile to keep this thing going, but maybe the site will take a new shape and flourish. That would be nice to see. Most of us will eventually splinter off, move on to other communities and interests.

Just how it goes...how many people did you keep in touch with after graduating school when there was suddenly no reason for you to go back and see those people in that building every day? But you still remember many of those people from your class. I think it's okay.

Well said. 

JWFan will remain.  It will be like Rivendell in ROTK.  A bit empty, but still kept going by the most important figures.  

3 hours ago, Richard said:

He always did like that mausoleum.

Put him in it.

Not here! This is my home. 

Take Mister Cosman to school. 

3 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

JWFan will remain.  It will be like Rivendell in ROTK.  A bit empty, but still kept going by the most important figures.

Tell me, Whitey, who are "the most important" figures, and why are they the "most important"?

3 minutes ago, Richard said:

Tell me, Whitey, who are "the most important" figures, and why are they the "most important"?

Who can say for certain?  But the ones who stick around, they will have earned the distinction.  

On 3/22/2017 at 3:31 PM, KK said:

I agree with your ideals bellamy, and would agree that our common love for Williams is what brought us together. Heck, I only stumbled onto this forum in search for news and updates about Tintin and War Horse. But I think our community has evolved beyond that.

I, personally, no longer come here to read about the latest SW updates or surprise projects Williams signs onto. Those are bonus delights for me. Rather, I come here to discuss my favourite scores, or my favourite Williams passages, get recommendations from fellow film score fans about works I've never heard before, learn new ways to look at old things and have some fun banter in silly threads while I'm at it. JWFan's function, at least in my eyes, has gone far beyond providing updates about the latest from Williams. It's more of a hub to share ideas, perspectives and learn from each other. I'm not talking about the Trump threads, but rather the ones that ask for more insightful analysis or communication of ideas in regards to all forms of music, film and art in general.

Yes, we are all tied together by our mutual love for Williams. But that's not reliant on the fact that he's still writing. I mean, when you think about it, many of the older posters here don't really discuss or even like Williams' latest efforts other than out of the sheer obligation and loyalty to him. And once he's passed, there's no need for that love to go anywhere. We all still discuss and talk about the likes of Horner and Goldsmith with great fondness here. It will be no different with Williams. Granted I'm sure things will be rather different for a while once the worst has happened, but I'm confident the forum will be back to its usual form afterward.

Yeah, I don't mean to get all Chicken Little about it. But just from the perspective of somebody who saw a beloved forum fall away, it happened pretty naturally and it's sorta heartbreaking but also understandable. People just get bored. Sometimes this place can feel like a few different communities going on at once except when it comes to Williams who is the one current thing everybody shares. Even the crusty members who don't like his recent stuff still seem to hold out some hope!

That's something I've wondered about is if there's anything JWFan could really bond much over without Williams beyond certain "cliques"....there's often so much disagreement on everything else.

On 3/22/2017 at 3:30 PM, BloodBoal said:

Oh, and fuck you if you don't care about us! Never liked you anyway!

tumblr_lldizn2wns1qj0zk3o1_400.gif

That's Not Mr. Big to you!

Wait...

14 minutes ago, LampPost said:

Until the guys up high release every take ever recorded from every single score Williams composed music for, until they record every single piece of music JW penned in his life in digital format (yes, that includes his Symphony No.1), until every JW piece has its sheet music published, until every JW film, TV series and travelogue gets a LtP concert arranged in every major and minor city in the world, and until we know the damn year Williams was enlisted in the USAF, this forum shall still have a purpose to exist. The JWFAN era is only just beginning!

Henry+Fonda+the+Grapes+of+Wrath.PNG

22 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

There are active Wagner & Shakespeare forums (FAQ: those guys are dead), so I think we'll be just fine.

Though we may have to change the name to JRRTFans.

Im down with that! 

Man, this thread makes me really nostalgic/sentimental somehow, because, frankly, it's something that's very tied into where my own life will go, whether I will be visiting JWFan for years to come or whether I will move on (although I'll never move on from listening to JW's music!)

I sometimes like to think that things will continue with the same vigor even once he has left this earth, or even just retired. But is that realistic? Is it even ultimately desirable?

I agree with @mrbellamy in that my main attraction to this place is based on anticipation, not reflection. 

What do I, personally, like to anticipate? Primarily, John Williams scores, of course, and Star Wars films (particularly, then, Star Wars films with JW scores!) 

So when JW is no longer producing new scores, the only major thing left to anticipate for me will be SW. And of course there are and surely will be tons of other forums to discuss SW. That said, this is the place where I've really come to know people, so it would still be really great if I was able to discuss the new SW films/scores here. 

And there will be probably be other fun things to anticipate that we can't even predict at this time. For example, new scores by awesome new composers who haven't even entered the business yet. 

But can we remain comrades simply based off of memories? Because that's really in many ways what it might be, methinks. Frequent nostalgic look-backs to making your prequel edits together, seeing and discussing the TFA score for the first time, etc. There would be few new "core memories" to make (to borrow a term from Inside Out ;)). Or maybe I am wrong on that. I don't know. I haven't been here as long as most of you. But it does seem like I'm not the only one who realizes that the only true "unifying events" these days seem to be new JW scores/projects (frankly, the weak reaction to the BFG does challenge that hypothesis, but, in any case, TFA certainly was quite an event here to say the least). 

Maybe a little while after he passes, after waiting for the grief to settle down, after waiting a little longer for any major remaining unreleased music to be released, it might be time to close things down. I dunno. After all, members who want to stay in touch occasionally could still set up a Google Hangout or something. There may just not be a need to keep this place going. The biggest regret I would have would be if there wasn't a way to archive the threads for posterity. I wouldn't want us to lose everything. 

Ultimately, I'm not sure if rabid JW fandom is something we should all be doing for large amounts of time for our entire lives. With the exception perhaps of those who enter the music field, JW's music isn't really an end unto itself, however often it may seem that way; it's something that inspires us in our lives. And if we spend so much time discussing JW music that we can rarely be inspired by it to actually do things, then what was the point?

I dunno, just my overly philosophical two cents.