Will JWfan last long after John Williams?

I just thought of something else - and I'm actually dead serious: I wonder if by the time JW passes people will even use forums like this anymore.

Let's say JW lives another 15 years or so, just to be optimistic. 

15 years ago was 2001. That was the year iTunes was released. HDTVs had only hit the consumer market a few years before. This was around the first time smartphones were in any sort of wide usage. The iPhone, however, with its revolutionary touch-screen display, wouldn't be released until 2007. 

I can scarcely imagine what the next 15 years will bring, but I wouldn't be shocked if people are using VR chat rooms or something by then.

Image result

18 hours ago, Will said:

Maybe a little while after he passes, after waiting for the grief to settle down, after waiting a little longer for any major remaining unreleased music to be released, it might be time to close things down. I dunno. After all, members who want to stay in touch occasionally could still set up a Google Hangout or something. There may just not be a need to keep this place going. The biggest regret I would have would be if there wasn't a way to archive the threads for posterity. I wouldn't want us to lose everything. 

I don't think the site or forum will really ever close down, unless Ricard can't keep it going for whatever reason. Which would be heartbreaking, I would never want to see it become an empty domain name. I don't think it will. Some things might have to change if Andreas or LeBlanc ever step away, I dunno how difficult it would be to find replacements. But I'm counting on Ricard to always be around to look after his baby. :heart:

Bottom line for me as a member is that I have a variety of reasons why I visit JWFan and when there's officially no more new Williams stuff coming, a big chunk of those ongoing reminders will evaporate. Honestly I'm browsing here a few times a day and I know that naturally won't happen with him gone. I figure I'll always want to check in, maybe weekly, maybe monthly, maybe less, but at any rate I just assume there will be enough regulars with similar habits that traffic will slow down. I don't think it'll kill the board but I could see GD's activity eventually settling to something like where Other Topics is right now, and the Williams sub-forum about where Tolkien Central is at.

I agree. And it would be crap wouldn't it. 

The admin here don't seem to be bothered either way, lacking the ambition to make any changes which might have developed the site into something more, for newcomers and the old guard.