80th death anniversary of Gershwin

Bespin

George Gershwin (September 26, 1898 – July 11, 1937) was and remains one of the most successful and utterly American composer of all time. 

It is not surprising that John Williams recorded and arranged some of his best works!

I will take this opportunity to again go back in time and dig into John Williams's discography, as we celebrate this year the 80th anniversary of Gershwin's death.

Manne–That's Gershwin!

In 1965, John Williams handled the musical direction, arrangements, and orchestrations of Shelly Manne's LP Manne—That's Gershwin! In 2002, Steve Houghton re-recorded those arrangements. For this "remake," Houghton formed a quintet (with trumpeter Clay Jenkins, altoist Dan Higgins, pianist Stefan Karlsson, and bassist Lou Fischer) and utilized the University of North Texas Two O'Clock Lab Band. The musicians interpret the ten selections from the original album (which includes a few combo pieces) plus four additional quintet performances, with all of the music being by George Gershwin. Highly recommended.

p_t2313.jpg

Manne–That's Gershwin! (1965, Capitol Records, T-2313)

Arrangements and Musical Direction by Johnny Williams.

p_st2313.jpg

(Released in 1965, Capitol Records, ST-2313, Stereo)

p_ds909.jpg

(Reissued in 1984, Discovery Records, DS-909, Stereo)

R-4694377-1372479662-5703.jpeg.jpg

Steve Houghton Quintet - The Manne We Love: Gershwin Revisited (2002, TNC Recordings, CD-1713)*

Concerto Intro; By Strauss; My Man's Gone Now; Mine; Love Is Here To Stay; Summertime; Real American Folk Song; The Man I Love; Prelude No. 2; How Long Has This Been Going On?; Concerto In F; Soon; Love Walked In; Plenty O' Nuttin'; Lady Be Good.

* You can buy this album here: https://www.tncmusic.net

Love is here to stay

“Love Is Here to Stay” is a song written by George Gershwin with lyrics by Ira Gershwin for the movie "The Goldwyn Follies" (1938). It reached popularity in 1951 when it was sung by Gene Kelly to Leslie Caron in the film "An American in Paris". In 1984, John Williams recorded it with the Boston Pops Orchestra and the american opera singer and recitalist Jessye Norman.

p_4126251.jpg

With a Song in My Heart (1984, Philips, 412 625-1; Norman, Boston Pops O/Williams)

Falling In Love With Love; In The Still Of The Night; Spring Is Here; I'm Old-Fashioned; A Sleepin' Bee; I Love Paris; The Song Is You; I Love You; Love Is Here To Stay [Featuring John Williams (p)]; All The Things You Are; Love Walked In; With A Song In My Heart.

(Released in 1984, Philips, 412 625-2)

(Reissued for digital download in 2014, Decca)

An American in Paris

An American in Paris is a jazz-influenced symphonic poem written in 1928. Inspired by the time Gershwin had spent in Paris, it evokes the sights and energy of the French capital in the 1920s and is one of his best-known compositions. John Williams recorded it with the Boston Pops Orchestra in a 1990 tribute album called "Pops by Gershwin", as well as some others Gershwin's most memorable works, like the famous "Rhapsody in Blue".

p_426404.jpg

Pops By George: The Music of George Gershwin (1990, Philips, 426 404-2; Dichter, Boston Pops O/Williams)

An American In Paris; Suite From Porgy & Bess; Selections From Girl Crazy; Rhapsody In Blue.

p_4264042.jpg

(Released in 1990 "Pops by Gershwin", Philips, 426 404-2)

Strike up the band

Strike Up the Band is a 1927 musical with a book by Morrie Ryskind, lyrics by Ira Gershwin and music by George Gershwin. It ran in Philadelphia that year, unsuccessfully, and on Broadway in 1930 after the original book by George S. Kaufman was revised. The story satirizes America's taste for war: America declares war on Switzerland over a trivial trade issue. The overture is often performed as a stand-alone concert work. John Williams recorded two versions of this overture, both with the Boston Pops Orchestra. The first one for the 1980 album "Pops on the march" and the second one, for the 1991 album "I Love A Parade".

p_46747.jpg

I Love A Parade (1991, Sony Classical, SK 46747; Boston Pops O/Williams)

I Love A Parade; Midway March; Washington Post March; Seventy-Six Trombones; El Capitan; South Rampart Street Parade; Semper Fidelis; Liberty Bell March; Colonel Bogey March; Strike Up The Band; The Thunderer; Hands Across The Sea; King Cotton; Pops On The March; Under The Double Eagle (Unter Dem Doppleladler); The Stars And Stripes Forever.

Fantasy for violin & orchestra on Porgy and Bess

Jascha Heifetz asked George Gershwin to compose a violin work, but the composer's early death prevented what would no doubt have been a fruitful collaboration. Whether Alexander Courage's 'Fantasy for Violin and Orchestra on "Porgy and Bess"' is "as close as we can get to the violin concerto Gershwin never wrote," as Joshua Bell says, is certainly a point for debate. Courage, composer of the original 'Star Trek' theme, was asked by conductor John Williams to assemble the fantasy and the result is a showpiece for violin which uses eight songs from 'Porgy and Bess.' The work is a successful vehicle for the soloist: Bell's Stradivarius sings as he glides through the passagework with ease.

p_sk60659.jpg

Gershwin Fantasy (1998, Sony Classical, SK 60659; Bell, London SO/Williams)

Fantasy For Violin And Orchestra On Porgy And Bess; Three Preludes [Featuring John Williams (p)]; Songs For Violin And Orchestra; I Got Rhythm; Embraceable You; Nice Work If You Can Get It; Liza; But Not For Me; Sweet and Low-Down; Love Is Here To Stay.

20 minutes ago, Bespin said:

(September 26, 1898 – July 11, 1937) 

What calendar do you use up there in Canada? Aren't you a little early for an 80th anniversary? More like 79.667 anniversary. 

On 25.3.2017 at 10:13 PM, Thor said:

Not to mention the piece that he wrote for Bernstein, specifically -- "For New York!" (as it's called now).

Ha, ha....I was clearly drunk yesterday. Got my Gershwin and Bernstein confused.