The Patriot (John Williams)

Thor

I watched it more times than it deserves as a kid, we also watched it in class to get a moderated fun rough view of the Revolutionary War. (Teachers saying Lucius Malfoy didn't actually burn churches and so - we also watched Holy Grail and Life of Brian, this was awarded the same amount of seriousness.)

The main patriotic theme is pretty bland, the haunted one (is that the one in the very very opening?) is better. Don't actually remember much about the score, never thought to seek it out and only learned it was JW much later!

1 minute ago, Holko said:

I watched it more times than it deserves as a kid, we also watched it in class to get a moderated fun rough view of the Revolutionary War. (Teachers saying Lucius Malfoy didn't actually burn churches and so - we also watched Holy Grail and Life of Brian, this was awarded the same amount of seriousness.)

I find those sorts of criticisms very double-standardish.  If a person likes the movie, then they say it is a film, not a documentary; if they don't, then it is historically inaccurate and bad.  Sort of like The King's Speech--if the guy can speak perfectly with headphones on, just wear the damn headphones for the national addresses.  

1 hour ago, karelm said:

I never saw the Patriot and never really listened to the score.  How is the film and score, worth exploring?

The film is overdone, but the score is pretty great.  Listen to the score on its own, it works better that way.

The film is really good, IMO. The sheer physical intensity of Mel's acting alone is worth the ticket.

The score is also very enjoyable, even though it feels a bit "by the numbers", and the theme bears an uncanny resemblance to the AMISTAD theme.

34 minutes ago, Thor said:

The film is really good, IMO. The sheer physical intensity of Mel's acting alone is worth the ticket.

It's Braveheart set in 18th century America. Of course it's worth watching! Although it's far more exaggerated...

Ok, just saw the film.  I liked it for its revenge fantasy heapings.  Sometimes a guy needs to get his revenge fix...*cough* John Wick *cough*.  They did a good job of building that up to the point of ridiculousness but I expected that right away from the opening pacifist Mel and kids wanting to go to war sequence and it certainly delivered on that revenge fantasy theme.  Music was definitely good and exciting, moving when it needed to be.  Sort of reminded me of War Horse and Far & Away musically which is not a bad thing.  This is definitely not a gritty, lived in version of history but a polished, Hollywood entertainment version and that is what was expected and it delivered on that. 

@SteveMc see bold.

4 hours ago, Thor said:

The score is also very enjoyable, even though it feels a bit "by the numbers", and the theme bears an uncanny resemblance to the AMISTAD theme.

Not to mention Unfinished Journey.  

9 hours ago, Will said:

The section beginning here is awesome, probably the best moment in the score imho:

That brass! :love2:

My favourite part of the score is the first few minutes of the OST - the pastoral intro before the main theme sets in.

7 hours ago, Thor said:

The score is also very enjoyable, even though it feels a bit "by the numbers", 

I don't think he had much time writing it, as he replaced David Arnold after scoring had begun.

15 hours ago, Will said:

The section beginning here is awesome, probably the best moment in the score imho:

That brass! :love2:

JW was channeling Far and Away here, methinks... It's nearly as good. 

I've always liked this scene a lot, one of the gentler moments of this rather violent movie. This passage might be tracked ("Susan Speaks" on the OST album features different music, if memory serves me correctly), but JW simply nails it. Gentle, emotional, gripping... without sounding corny. From 1:15 onward. 

• 2 weeks later...

Sure, many things in these score seem reminiscent of other scores such as Far & Away and Amistad ( sometimes it also reminds me of Seven Years In Tibet ) and the movie itself might not be the best movie ever..

Yet, I actually really like this score !

Especially some of the slow cues which I find really poignant, plus all of those gorgeous horn moments of course :)

This one for example : 

horn-solo.jpg

Gosh I hope Mike is working on this for next year's anniversary! Such an underrated score.

Kinda funny that Emmerich's next film is a remake/retelling of Midway. Williams scored the original film over 40 years ago! Shame Roland is just wedded to Wanker and Kloser now; his films were far more redeeming with composers like Arnold and Williams holding things together.

It has a tendency to get very masculine and testosterone-fueled. Some pretty badass moments like the eerie trumpet solo when Mel Gibson recalls his war crimes in a Quintian scene, the battle stuff and the heroic renditions of the main theme, such as when he rides on horseback carrying the flag. The movie lent itself to this raw musical masculinity and I think Williams really delivered something cool.

Well, I haven't watched the movie in years, but as far as I can remember, there's the scene that I mentioned (Gabriel's letters), another one at the beginning of the movie when the family sees the North Star, some stuff from the battle scenes and I guess a few more performances of Gibson's haunting trumpet motif. I also don't think the OST has much music (if any) from most of the second act, when Gibson forms a militia fighting a guerrilla war with the British.

I think there could be about 30 minutes of unreleased stuff, but to be more precise I'd have to watch the movie again - something that I have absolutely no desire to do, because it's very bad. But I would buy the expanded version for the letters scene alone, it's one of my Holy Grails.

There's a "microedit" (Copyright JWfan?) at the end of the first part of The Colonial Cause which is the flag scene where Williams winds it down with a very patriotic flute and descending fanfare.

I haven't revisited the movie in ages and it was one of the first blu ray movies I had bought when the new medium was exploding. I do love the main theme and the score album is alright but it didnt make much of an impression to me as a whole. So I hope a new remastered expansion would do it justice. Id love to hear the high res transfer that Mike Matessino does so superbly. I hope this project was being pursued before the Sony lockdown.

The Blu-ray had the inferior extended version. It does have a scene weirdly similar to the wretched War of the Worlds (2005) with bodies floating down a river.

1 hour ago, Amer said:

I hope this project was being pursued before the Sony lockdown.

I think LLL only had two Sony projects in the pipeline before the ban. We're yet to see what either release was, or if they even survived Sony's policy change. 

This Sony lockdown was very unfortunate. A lot of great scores from Sony movies could have used an expansion, like The Patriot and Horner's Legends of the Fall (OST has pretty much all the highlights, but there's about 20 minutes of unreleased music, including a few cues worth exploring and the film version of Off To War). 

Expanded editions of Raimi's Spidey trilogy could have been nice too. For example, Elfman's music for the classic train battle between Peter and Doc Ock on the second film was replaced by a new version by Christopher Young, but only the Elfman version is available on the OST - Young's version is still unreleased (officially, there's bootlegs all over the internet). And that's without even mentioning the fact that Young's (great) score for the third movie didn't receive an official release until this day, which is bizarre.

1 hour ago, Corellian2019 said:

The album was released on Hollywood Records, not Sony Music :)

Sorry, I didn't understood the terms of the new deal. 

But so, that means an expansion is not off the tables? Well, if so, that's great!

I just looked at the other Sony movies I mentioned. Legends of the Fall OST was released in 1995 by Epic Soundtrax. But the Spidey score albums were released by Columbia, which is now part of the Sony Music Entertainment. :(