Jump to content
Fal J. M. Skywalker

IndyCast John Williams Specials

Recommended Posts

Thanks for pointing this out, @Fal! Downloaded all of the Williams-related podcasts, but after having listened to the first few, I'm not sure that I'll be able to stomach listening through them all. Are "Ron the Reviewer" and "Ron Longo" one in the same?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OMG!! Lord give me the strength to get through these. Still on episode 2 (October 2010) and there are SOOO many errors, unfounded assertions, and name flubs ("Leslie Brickoski"), and the quality is lousy in portions. The supposed audio guy (or someone else afterwards) used a very aggressive expander or some sort of processing such that his voice "pumps" in the last syllable right before he stops talking and is then truncated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of podcasts, does anyone know what's happened to Star Wars Oxygen on Rebel Force Radio? No new episodes since December, when they used to be monthly.

 

I guess they're just waiting for JW's new score so they have more to talk about?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Speaking of podcasts, does anyone know what's happened to Star Wars Oxygen on Rebel Force Radio? No new episodes since December, when they used to be monthly.

 

I guess they're just waiting for JW's new score so they have more to talk about?

 

I read somewhere that they're maybe going to have Giacchino as a guest to talk about Rogue One. They might be waiting on his availability to record the next episode?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, thx99 said:

OMG!! Lord give me the strength to get through these. Still on episode 2 (October 2010) and there are SOOO many errors, unfounded assertions, and name flubs ("Leslie Brickoski"), and the quality is lousy in portions. The supposed audio guy (or someone else afterwards) used a very aggressive expander or some sort of processing such that his voice "pumps" in the last syllable right before he stops talking and is then truncated.

You mean Brisskusee? ;)

 

I believe when they started they had bandwidth limitations imposed by TheForce.net

 

These were the guys who did that Gloria Cheng interview a while back BTW

 

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

Speaking of podcasts, does anyone know what's happened to Star Wars Oxygen on Rebel Force Radio? No new episodes since December, when they used to be monthly.

 

I guess they're just waiting for JW's new score so they have more to talk about?

Well, there is  this: http://fullofsith.com/archives/2008

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I wasn't driving while I was listening to these podcasts, I'd make a drinking game out of it! :lol2:

Take a shot every time you hear any unsubstantiated "fact" about Williams, mispronounced name, or any of the following phrases:

  • "Without further ado..."
  • "I like it a lot"
  • "Like I said..."
  • Cues referred to as "tunes" (at least they're not referring to them as "songs"!)
  • "For you [fill-in-the-blank] fans out there...." [credit to @Disco Stu]
  • ...

:drunk:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I seem to remember "For you [fill-in-the-blank] fans out there...." being an annoyingly common way one of the hosts began sentences.

 

Oh, yes!! I've added that one to the list as well!  Good call.

 

1 minute ago, mstrox said:

 

Everyone knows the appropriate word is "ditties"

 

Haha!!  I actually prefer that over "tunes".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, thx99 said:

If I wasn't driving while I was listening to these podcasts, I'd make a drinking game out of it! :lol2:

Take a shot every time you hear any unsubstantiated "fact" about Williams, mispronounced name, or any of the following phrases:

  • "Without further ado..."
  • "I like it a lot"
  • "Like I said..."
  • Cues referred to as "tunes" (at least they're not referring to them as "songs"!)
  • "For you [fill-in-the-blank] fans out there...." [credit to @Disco Stu]
  • ...

:drunk:

For more drinking fun check out For Your Ears Only,  Lairds podcast with Jimmy Mac on the Bond scores.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Fal said:

For more drinking fun check out For Your Ears Only,  Lairds podcast with Jimmy Mac on the Bond scores.

 

Heh, I listened to the most recent episode over the weekend.  A lot of smacking my forehead whenever Jimmy Mac tries to talk music (on Oxygen as well).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Fal said:

For more drinking fun check out For Your Ears Only,  Lairds podcast with Jimmy Mac on the Bond scores.

 

My liver won't be able to take it!! (Though of the two primary participants on the IndyCast podcast, Laird is the preferable one, but that's not saying a whole lot...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apologies for the rather shameless plug, but if at all interested in a slightly more musicologically-skewed show - our podcast devoted a month of episodes to Raiders' score (culminating in a feature-length commentary).

http://underscorepodcast.blogspot.com/2017/03/1m3-raiders-spotting-session.html 

Enjoy if interested!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, martybmusic said:

Apologies for the rather shameless plug, but if at all interested in a slightly more musicologically-skewed show - our podcast devoted a month of episodes to Raiders' score (culminating in a feature-length commentary).

http://underscorepodcast.blogspot.com/2017/03/1m3-raiders-spotting-session.html 

Enjoy if interested!

 

I watched the film with your commentary last week!  Very enjoyable, keep up the great work.  

 

Really enjoyed the Vertigo episodes too.  It's important to make sure each new generation of film score enthusiasts discover those brilliant classics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, martybmusic said:

Apologies for the rather shameless plug, but if at all interested in a slightly more musicologically-skewed show - our podcast devoted a month of episodes to Raiders' score (culminating in a feature-length commentary).

http://underscorepodcast.blogspot.com/2017/03/1m3-raiders-spotting-session.html 

Enjoy if interested!

 

Plug away, @martybmusic!! I look forward to listening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

 

I watched the film with your commentary last week!  Very enjoyable, keep up the great work.  

 

Really enjoyed the Vertigo episodes too.  It's important to make sure each new generation of film score enthusiasts discover those brilliant classics.

Many thanks!

Very much agree - I suppose the survival of any art form requires advocates in each new generation. We're all just fortunate that so much of Williams' work is connected to such cultural mainstays and likely to live on and on. Here's hoping new generations find their way to the likes of Herrmann, Steiner, Waxman - whatever the path (podcasts, YouTube).

 

5 hours ago, thx99 said:

 

Plug away, @martybmusic!! I look forward to listening.

Thanks thx!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BRAVO, @martybmusic (and brother Will), on your fantastic UnderScore podcasts!!! Not only on JW's Raiders of the Lost Ark , but Silvestri's Back to the Future as well.  I skipped over Vertigo for the time being only because I was impatient and wanted to jump right to BttF! :)

Though I'm not well-versed in music theory, I do enjoy the insights and am able to get something out of the in-depth commentary and dissection of the music.  You've got a listener for life here. (Y)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

You have to check out "Art of the Score" @thx99.  They've done Raiders, Jurassic Park, and Star Wars, all excellent.  Somebody on the board recommended it to me (can't remember who...), and I wholeheartedly back it up.

 

Much obliged for the recommendation, @Disco Stu!!  I will certainly check it out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And also clean, OK quality Anything Goes Playoff, To Pankot Palace insert and Palace Source 2 (1 sounds pretty bad)! Where did these just come from? Thanks a lot for pointing this out, btw!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Holko said:

And also clean, OK quality Anything Goes Playoff, To Pankot Palace insert and Palace Source 2 (1 sounds pretty bad)! Where did these just come from? Thanks a lot for pointing this out, btw!

Apparently CD's of the film stem

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The quality is quite good for film stems! It sounds almost as good as whatever Concord used to build their expansion. He got this off eBay?? How did we miss this? Did it just get lost amongst all the Bluray rips?

 

Considering the amount of alternates on the Concord release (and Lego rips), the film stems would basically allow a complete TOD score. We have alternates for Old Priest's Tale, A Child Returns, To Pankot Palace, Map, plus Water! and Nightclub Brawl without their film inserts/overlays.

 

31:25 - Anything Goes Playoff

34:30 - Desolate Village (Slalom on Mt. Humol Part B)

39:55 - Indy and the Villagers (already released) followed by A Child Returns (film version, different from Lego rip) which ends with Fortune and Glory

1:01:45 - To Pankot Palace (film version with the low male choir as Indy finds the bloodied statue -- this seems to be an insert. Didn't realise all the creepy 'moaning' jungle sounds were actually SFX, not music)

1:12:50 - Palace Source 1 (did Williams compose this?)

1:16:58 - Entrance of the Boy King followed by Palace Source 2 (Williams is having way too much fun writing for sitar!) and all the various food reveal stingers. Does anyone else hear a Lord of the Rings theme at 1.17.06?? :lol:

1:27:33 - Palace Source 3 and final food stinger
 

The palace stuff seems to be worse quality, with some distant echoes of sound effects and voices. Might have been a different source.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/13/2018 at 8:44 AM, crumbs said:

The quality is quite good for film stems! It sounds almost as good as whatever Concord used to build their expansion. He got this off eBay?? How did we miss this? Did it just get lost amongst all the Bluray rips?

 

Considering the amount of alternates on the Concord release (and Lego rips), the film stems would basically allow a complete TOD score. We have alternates for Old Priest's Tale, A Child Returns, To Pankot Palace, Map, plus Water! and Nightclub Brawl without their film inserts/overlays.

 

31:25 - Anything Goes Playoff

34:30 - Desolate Village (Slalom on Mt. Humol Part B)

39:55 - Indy and the Villagers (already released) followed by A Child Returns (film version, different from Lego rip) which ends with Fortune and Glory

1:01:45 - To Pankot Palace (film version with the low male choir as Indy finds the bloodied statue -- this seems to be an insert. Didn't realise all the creepy 'moaning' jungle sounds were actually SFX, not music)

1:12:50 - Palace Source 1 (did Williams compose this?)

1:16:58 - Entrance of the Boy King followed by Palace Source 2 (Williams is having way too much fun writing for sitar!) and all the various food reveal stingers. Does anyone else hear a Lord of the Rings theme at 1.17.06?? :lol:

1:27:33 - Palace Source 3 and final food stinger
 

The palace stuff seems to be worse quality, with some distant echoes of sound effects and voices. Might have been a different source.

 

 

This is great more music unreleased so we pretty much have all the music up to the Thugee Ceremony. Except for the missing bit from Through Chinatown and the two inserts from Out Of Fuel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 7:54 PM, crumbs said:

Speaking of podcasts, does anyone know what's happened to Star Wars Oxygen on Rebel Force Radio? No new episodes since December, when they used to be monthly.

 

I guess they're just waiting for JW's new score so they have more to talk about?

There was some sexual harassment scandal thing with the RFR guys, and it's rumored that Lucasfilm asked David Collins to distance himself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So more unreleased music from Temple in the new John Williams Special 32. Unfortunately the film version of the Sanskirt Sacrifice they didn't play they instead played the audio from the film which is a bummer.  We now have the film ending to Children In Chains along with Mola Ram's Speech and the first portion of Evil Potion they did not play. The second part where Indy is on the slab having haunting thoughts all the way to the sacrifice continues and the last unreleased track is Willie In The Fryer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...