• Michael Giacchino
    • Alexandre Desplat
    • John Powell
    • Bear McCreary
    • Marco Beltrami
    • Dario Marianelli
    • Other (Specify)

On 27. Mai 2019 at 4:52 PM, Bilbo said:

I’d like to see Zimmer get a go at it. The last two Bond scores were fairly dull. 

Because Hans Zimmer is known for his dynamic range and wide change of tone within a score.

Even pricey headphones are a crapshoot and may render some things without issue while totally garbling other things.  Good speakers are the way to go if one has the space, privacy, and cash although room acoustics can trip you up there too.  Zimmer's scores are very heavily produced but the dynamic range is often some of the best around in Hollywood, especially the film mixes that haven't been prepared for album release.  I suspect headphones don't do it as much justice because of how wide the soundstage that he and Meyerson utilize tends to be.  It's absolutely cinematic music meant to be heard in a cinema.  At any rate, he would hardly be a bad choice for Bond for those or any other reasons.

While I'm sure Zimmer could produce a very fine score (considering how lowly I esteem the Newman ones), I think Bond requires (or rather, I'd prefer) something more...orchestral? Unless he was willing to meet in the middle, I'd say give it to a) Göransson because he can do a little bit of everything and he's got a bit of Barry to him, b) Pemberton because he can write for spy flicks, or c) Hurwitz because the source music would be a dream and he could certainly do great things with pre-existing material. 

4 hours ago, Dixon Hill said:

Dynamic range of a randomly chosen Zimmer track

3VBg86l.png

Dynamic range of a randomly chosen Williams track

LRNGWpm.png

"Random" my ass

4 hours ago, gkgyver said:

"Random" my ass

Yes random.  I specifically asked someone with no relevant knowledge to drag and drop two tracks of their own choosing from the browser.  Of course you could find two examples showing the opposite.  The point was to offer a quick rebuttal to your generalized bullshit and it happened to work out.  Any more questions, dear?

- TGP, drunk

6 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

b) Pemberton because he can write for spy flicks

He's the only one i would hand the assignment: stylish and light on his feet, he's a far cry from Hans' teutonic heaviness, which is the last thing this franchise needs or Newman's acceptable-if-shortwinded efforts.

Some of those Newman string/synth romances are so ravishingly beautiful but fleeting.  I'm torn between whether or not delving into more detail would have been good or ruined the vague mystique of them.  The action stuff is less easy to wax on about.

Christ you just don't hear that kind of effortless lyricism much anymore.

Yet the always sound like a somber variation infant that has lost its mother: where does that stuff come from? (i guess you could force a 3-minute tune out of Newman but it ain't easy).

Dixon Hill is Grey?! I was wondering who that was!

11 hours ago, publicist said:

Yet the always sound like a somber variation infant that has lost its mother: where does that stuff come from? (i guess you could force a 3-minute tune out of Newman but it ain't easy).

Newman always offers brilliance in doses, but usually struggles tie these doses with strong central ideas. Like a master improviser who gets lost in the nebulous space of his studio sessions. Though there was a time in the earlier days when he found a way to make these "pockets of sound" serve as strong/functional recurring musical ideas (think: A Series of Unfortunate Events).

Skyfall has aged well for me though. Again, lack of memorable central ideas, and some pedestrian action aside, it musters a lot of effortless swagger that screams contemporary Bond:

And then of course true to Newman, the lyrical stuff is extra haunting: