Star Wars: The Last Jedi scoring sessions resume in Los Angeles

Amer

What is this?

The only thing I would say that we sometimes have to deal with is the woodwinds, in term of assigning particular instruments. Often I have to make a decision on instruments to cue in case he might want more sound in a particular place.

Ghostwriting!!!!

15 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Not Mr. Big was pointing out that the score is almost done.

Ah, now I understand.  Although who are we kidding.  I predict there will be another round of sessions in the Summer and another in the Fall.

On 4/13/2017 at 0:45 AM, aviazn said:

Wide-eyed, I followed-up, "And did you guys know then how big the score was going to be?"

He sneered and said, "Nah, we had no idea because it was nothing original. It was just second-rate neoromantic rip-offs. Nobody thought it was going to be anything. You want to know what was really special? A few weeks later, I sat in on another session at Abbey Road…" and he proceeded to tell me about a jazz ensemble that recorded a tremendously innovative record (whose name now escapes me), full of bold lines and unconventional time signatures. I nodded along, trying to hide how crestfallen I was, and never got another word out of him about Star Wars.

Yeah... I would say from doing years of classical music study, this is where about 70% of classical musicians fall. Williams = "Pop-Classical for the masses," not actually innovative writing. Williams is clearly an Opera and Ballet lover, and there are so many similarities in in writing from standard romantic/neo-romantic Operas and Ballets. 

It's getting better though, since a lot of musicians these days went into music because of Williams. That and management as well as the musicians are starting to realize the value in his music for selling out strict large-orchestra instrumental music while not having to invite some incredibly expensive soloist or bring in vocalists. The cost is already built into the union contract and you might just have to pay some doubling fees and bring in some ringers to give the brass some body and pay a second principal trumpet to give the lead a break.