Piano Works

benny82ta

Hello, I've just read in the John Williams's compositions list about his concert pieces for piano:

- Piano Sonata (1951)

- Conversations (2013)

- Scherzo for piano and orchestra (2014)

I would ask you, does someone of you know how to get or purchase these scores? Thank you in advance...

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The piano sonata is not available anywhere. There is also very little information about it. Through my research, I've come to the conclusion that it might be an exam piece written during the spring of 1951, performed once for the examiners at UCLA as part of his composition studies. But then never performed again, and obviously never recorded. At this point, the score sheets probably only exist in Williams' house.

The other two pieces have had commercial recordings, but I'm not sure about the score sheets -- which is what I assume you're asking for.

I've seen that Williams has written one concerto per each instrument and they are all published with piano reduction by Marjer/Hal Leonard, even the concertos written after this scherzo for piano; it seems strange that there's no score of this last one...

On 9-4-2017 at 2:18 PM, benny82ta said:

I've seen that Williams has written one concerto per each instrument and they are all published with piano reduction by Marjer/Hal Leonard, even the concertos written after this scherzo for piano; it seems strange that there's no score of this last one...

There's no score for his second violin concerto, his cello, clarinet and flute concertos as well, and certain non-concerto solo works such as Heartwood also haven't been published.

On ‎13‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 8:18 PM, Miguel Andrade said:

While the scores aren't published, they are available for renting -- if not all of them, surely some of them are.

Also the scherzo for piano and orchestra?

If yes, how can I rent it? Is the 2 pianos reduction available too?

It says that he/they cannot be contacted by email address and reported me in this forum for info about his works, do I have to write a simple paper letter and send it to that address? I'm writing from Italy.

Yes, write the Gorfaine/Schwartz Agency. They represent Williams, as well as many other composers, and through them one can rent score that aren't available in any other way.

Mr. John Williams
Gorfaine / Schwartz Agency
4111 W. Alameda Avenue
Suite 509
Burbank, California 91505
USA

• 2 weeks later...