Ennio Morricone - recommendations, opinions

cmh90790

Once Upon a Time in the West wouldn't be the first of his Spaghetti Western scores I'd reach for, that would still be The Good The Bad and the Ugly personally.  "Ecstasy of Gold" is still one of the most incredible cues from any film score.  And I'd definitely add Once Upon a Time in America to the short list.

EDIT: I had skipped the first paragraph like you said I could, but then I went back and read it and saw that you are already familiar with Good/Bad/Ugly!  Nevermind then!  Still, Once Upon a Time in America is a fantastic score if you don't have an aversion to pan flute :) 

I once wanted to discover Morricone's scores too... but I did find the majority of the material I came across...to be very "dated" in their style...very sixties....very seventies.... And I didn't like it at all.

Ok, some JW's scores are "dated" in their style too, but they are in minority I think (Earthquake, Images, Hearbeeps are three examples coming to my mind).

So for now, in my Morricone discography, there is only The Mission and the Yo- Yo Ma album...

I'm open to suggestions too.... but maybe re-recordings instead of original scores...

Note : I really can't stand percussion beat over a classical track...So yes, it limits the possibilities when we are talking about Morricone...

18 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Note : I really can't stand percussion beat over a classical track...So yes, it limits the possibilities when we are talking about Morricone...

Jesus, you and bollemaneke.  I didn't realize people had such specifically closed-minded preferences with music.  Maybe I need one too.  From now on, I hate all music that uses muted trumpets!

Once Upon A Time In The West is his finest achievement, personally. 

Once Upon A Time In America is also a must listen, as Stu said. If you want more of the same style from The Good, The Bad And The Ugly, certainly check out A Fistful Of Dollars and For A Few Dollars more. Essentially you can't go wrong with any of his work for Leone or Tornatore. 

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Jesus, you and bollemaneke.  I didn't realize people had such specifically closed-minded preferences with music.  Maybe I need one too.  From now on, I hate all music that uses muted trumpets!

Mary Joseph, you perfectly have the right to love dull music. Do I judge you? NO ;-)

By the way, you surely love instrumental tracks where a woman sings ahhhhhh ahhhhh ahhhh or laaaaaa laaaa laaaa, from the begining to the end. Confess! ;-)

4 minutes ago, Bespin said:

By the way, you surely love instrumental tracks where a woman sings ahhhhhh ahhhhh ahhhh or laaaaaa laaaa laaaa, from the begining to the end. No? ;-)

You mean like 'Where Dreams Are Born" from the A.I. soundtrack?  Because I love that piece and she goes "ahhhhh ahhhhh" over the whole thing :) 

9 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

You mean like 'Where Dreams Are Born" from the A.I. soundtrack?  Because I love that piece and she goes "ahhhhh ahhhhh" over the whole thing :) 

Oops ;-)

Edit: Wait a minute! Doing it in the sixties was unoriginal, everybody did it... JW who did it in the 90s, well, that was daring. :-)

3 hours ago, Bespin said:

Edit: Wait a minute! Doing it in the sixties was unoriginal, everybody did it... JW who did it in the 90s, well, that was daring. :-)

Note to Bespin: 'daring' is the last word anyone should link to JW music. It wasn't. It isn't.

That being said, 'Marco Polo' could satisfy your quest for proper and not-too-demanding thematic bliss:

11 minutes ago, publicist said:

Note to Bespin: 'daring' is the last word anyone should link to JW music. It wasn't. It isn't.

Here I can confess the language barrier.. In french, I woud use "Audacieux".

Maybe "bold" is better... For me "daring" or "bold", is the same, as it means absolutely nothing to me. Sorry!

But again, if you know me, you know that half I write is truth, half is irony...

!The Thing! which was nominated for a golden raspberry award:blink: - but hey, Williams and Goldsmith also got a nomination:lol:.

I would also recommend you to search all Morricone scores Tarantino used in his works, because most of them are outstanding ones.

1 hour ago, publicist said:

It's just he usual sampler material and it's much too short.

But at least there is no woman singing aaaaaaaah aaaaaaaahh aaaaaaaaaahhh, or the sound of someone who clean a window.

The track by Vincent Bélanger is good no? 

• 3 years later...

I'm currently discovering...ehh... I'm just 37 years late to the party... the score of "Once Upon a Time in America" (1984).

And I'm fascinated that it have not strange BOOOEEING sounds or women signings LAAA LAAAA LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

:huh:

I need this score!