FILM: The Return Of The King - Peter Jackson (2003)

BloodBoal

Literally the first thing I did when I opened the page was ctrl-f and look for the word "ending." :P 

If there's anything I hate it's people complaining about "too many" endings.  Don't even start with me on that stupid complaint.  Luckily I only found mstrox's joke.

I consider this by far the messiest of the LOTR films.  It's sprawling and messy, with more questionable visual effects and performances and continuity errors.  Just a mess!  But it's such an emotional catharsis, and gets so much right, that I forgive it all that.

The best of the three, IMO, and one of the greatest works of 21th century cinema. An absolute epic that, despite its sprawling scope, never looses focus on its characters and their journeys.

An epic, in every sense of the word. Few films encapsulate it better. My favourite of the three as well. Most flawed perhaps, but its the one that speaks to my heart the most.

This post has reminds me again why we are brothers!

3 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

If there's anything I hate it's people complaining about "too many" endings.  Don't even start with me on that stupid complaint.

Never had that problem with the endings (on the contrary), and like you, I think this is a stupid complaint: it seems people simply don't understand this is not just the conclusion of one 3-hour film, this is the conclusion of a 11-hour long story. A 20 minutes long ending doesn't feel like pushing it to me! And if you're invested in the story and cared about the characters, then I don't see why you'd be bothered by this "lengthy" ending: on the contrary, you should be happy so much care has been put into the conclusion to make it satisfying.

The thing that always made me smile is that I had a complete opposite reaction compared to people who moaned about the multiple endings: when I first watched the film, with the first fade to white after the Eagles saved Frodo, I was like "Oh, no, they're not going to end the film here, are there? So much more stuff left to show!", and I was happy to see it continue. And after that, there was the fade to black after Frodo sees Sam, and I had the same reaction: "Oh, no, they're not going to end the film here, are there? So much more stuff left to show!". Thankfully, the film continued. And once again, with the shot zooming out of Minas Tirith, and the sweeping Shire theme statement, I was like: "Oh, no, they're not going to end the film here, are there? So much more stuff left to show!", etc. With each "fake" ending, instead of being annoyed, I was relieved!

12 minutes ago, KK said:

This post has reminded me why we are brothers!

x62huXZ9mXvm8.gif

2 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Never had that problem with the endings (on the contrary), and like you, I think this is a stupid complaint: it seems people simply don't understand this is not just the conclusion of one 3-hour film, this is the conclusion of a 11-hour long story. A 20 minutes long ending doesn't feel like pushing it to me! And if you're invested in the story and cared about the characters, then I don't see why you'd be bothered by this "lengthy" ending: on the contrary, you should be happy so much care has been put into the conclusion to make it satisfying.

The thing that always made me smile is that I had a complete opposite reaction compared to people who moaned about the multiple endings: when I first watched the film, with the first fade to white after the Eagles saved Frodo, I was like "Oh, no, they're not going to end the film here, are there? So much more stuff left to show!", and I was happy to see it continue. And after that, there was the fade to black after Frodo sees Sam, and I had the same reaction: "Oh, no, they're not going to end the film here, are there? So much more stuff left to show!". Thankfully, the film continued. And once again, with the shot zooming out of Minas Tirith, and the sweeping Shire theme statement, I was like: "Oh, no, they're not going to end the film here, are there? So much more stuff left to show!", etc. With each "fake" ending, instead of being annoyed, I was relieved!

Those fades to black work so well to me as, like, periods at the end of a sentence.  Always coming after some emotional scene where I almost forget to breathe.  The black screen gives me a chance to let out a breath and re-orient.

1 hour ago, BloodBoal said:

On this point, I do think it's really less about the 20 minutes of epilogue and more about the filmmaking technique itself. I don't think people would have had such a problem with the "extra" (not to me) story if it didn't feel like it was constantly stopping and starting, the fade outs and dissolves and the way the music is always reaching these calm resolutions then building itself up again.

Which I think is fair enough but I think to do that Jackson probably would have had to take some emphasis off of certain moments and I love how strongly those scenes are expressed, one after another. I've grown to love it more and more, the use of fades and slow-motion has this really exhausted quality to it that brings so much emotional weight. It's like watching this huge train slowly grinding its way to a halt, or a marathon runner heaving and sighing and dragging their feet somewhere to rest even after they've reached their goal. An electric fan at full speed doesn't immediately stop spinning after you turn it off, a top has to wobble its way to a standstill. It's just physics!;)

22 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

I actually thought about that one when rewatching the film, and I suddenly realized something: that meant that the awesome arrival at Minas Tirith with Shore’s fantastic cue and those awesome aerial shots as Gandalf is riding all the way up to the Citadel were originally not going to be in the film! I am so glad PJ changed his mind, because that sequence is one of my favourite in the film. 

It was in the film as originally scored - Gandalf ascended Minas Tirith to see Denethor immediately after meeting Faramir in the courtyard.

Really? I wonder how that would have worked out. So, there would have been the discussion between Faramir and Gandalf about Frodo going through the Morgul Vale, and suddenly, Gandalf riding all the way up to Minas Tirith with the music suddenly soaring? Maybe in the original composition, the music kept on playing during the Gandalf/Faramir discussion, to keep the momentum going? Though I'm guessing that wasn't the case, since the music as heard in the track Osgiliath Invaded presents the original composition with Gandalf's arrival music, yet features a clean ending after the very last Gondor theme statement... (though, of course, it's possible it was meant to segue directly into another cue which would have lead to the music for Gandalf's ride after that. But I doubt that.).

Makes me also realize the Minas Tirith track on the OST basically sticks to the original edit of those scenes, with the music for Gandalf's ride to the Citadel appearing right after the music for the invasion of Osgiliath. Interesting!

11 hours ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

The ending is done perfectly.  I am glad JWFan is wise enough to see this!

Yes! The ending is wonderful. I can't believe people stood up once the screen went black on the shot of Frodo and Sam surrounded by lava!

Great review, as have been all your comments in this series.

ROTK is the least of three great films. That is to say, it's an outstanding film in its own right, but if it must be compared to the other two, I'd put it last. Fellowship is damn near flawless, and TTT, while not perfect, is close behind.  ROTK, on the other hand, has some narrative and character flaws and begins to show some of the hubris and indulgence that later plagued Jackson in The Hobbit.

The issues are mostly minor, but since they're being compared to the perfection of the first two, they stand out. Off the top of my head (and while I know your review is of the theatrical, I'm using the EE as reference, as it's the only one I watch).

• The second "this army" gag with the army of the dead coming out of nowhere. It worked the first time when they board the pirate ship, but falls flat the second time at Pellanor. And the EE almost messes the gag up entirely the first time by extending the scene past Aragon's "what say you" to include the ridiculous mountain of falling skulls. Once the undead agree to fight for him, the punchline to the reveal is undermined. I understand this is only an issue in the EE, but to me everything past "what say you" was unnecessary and ruins the drama of the scene.
  • I disagree with you about Sam abandoning Frodo. After making a huge deal about Sam promising Mr. Gandalf that he'd never abandon Mr. Frodo, he does. Why? Because an out of his mind Mr. Frodo tells him to. Even though Sam knows Gollum is a liar and murderer, he leaves his friend to the mercy of this cutthroat. At most, Sam would follow them in secret, not scamper down the mountain crying. And what makes him come back up? Finding the discarded bread. Which Sam knew back on the ledge Gollum was responsible for. What, knowing Gollum tossed some bread made him REALLY angry? As opposed to hearing with his own ears that Gollum was planning on killing them both? I don't buy it. I've generally gone along with the changes to some of the character's character (e.g. Faramir), but this was a change in Sam's character, towards the end, just to suit the needs of the scene, that IMO didn't work (in context of the character).  All that said, I agree with you regarding Frodo's actions...they do aptly demonstrate the Ring's growing influence on Frodo. It's the way they had Sam react to that I take issue with.
  • Tying Arwen's fate to the fate of the Ring. Ugh. As if the fate of Middle-Earth hanging in the balance wasn't enough, Aragorn (and the audience) must be given additional motivation to care about the ring getting destroyed. Completely unnecessary, especially when the beat in the film at this point is Aragorn finally coming to terms with who he is ("become who you were born to be") and what he's supposed to do.
  • Related to this, Arwen "surprising" Aragorn at his coronation. What, sometime between the ring getting destroyed and becoming King Aragorn didn't ask someone "Hey, whatever happened to that elf girl I liked? Is she still around?"   After they made such a big deal of tying Arwen's fate to the Ring, this scene just seemed kind of off to me. And the kiss...ugh. In another movie it works fine, but here? Feels forced.
  • Gandalf murdering Denathor. Enough said.
  • Legolas superheroics & cartoon violence. In Fellowship it was cool, in TTT they knew they were on to something so upped in a bit, but by the time they got to ROTK is was out of hand...and a said preview of what we were to get in DOS & TBOTFA.
  • I'll forgive the early 2000's CGI, not much they can do about that. But the bright, slick colour scheme they chose for this film was in contrast to the lovely, natural hues of Fellowship and gritty earth tones of TTT. It gives it a kind of unrealistic, "fantasy" feel that continued on into The Hobbit. 

Wow. If it sounds like I hate this film, I don't, I love it. There are too many well known good things about the film to mention, and you've done it here. These are mostly small complaints and the film is still brilliant and contains some of my favourite moments in the trilogy..."You bow to no one" gives me a lump in my throat every time, and Frodo's bittersweet homecoming is pitch perfect.  Shore is masterful. There are more "highs" in the film than there are in TTT, and possibly Fellowship.  Those are just offset a bit by the flaws. Though as I said, these flaws only stand out in contrast to the sheer perfection of the first two, and they're small quibbles.

As for the so-called "multiple endings", if that's what they are, I don't mind them and in fact love them. They're toned perfectly, and frankly I never want the film to end.

On 4/18/2017 at 12:28 PM, Nick1066 said:

The second "this army" gag with the army of the dead coming of nowhere. It worked the first time when they board the pirate ship, but falls flat the second time at Pellanor. And the EE almost messes the gag up entirely the first time by extending the scene past Aragon's "what say you" to include the ridiculous mountain of falling skulls. Once the undead agree to fight for him, the punchline to the reveal is undermined. I understand this is only an issue in the EE, but to me everything past "what say you" was unnecessary and ruins the drama of the scene.

Yep. I don't like any of the additional scenes with the Army Of The Dead in the EE. The theatrical cut works much better when it comes to that subplot (well, maybe I would have liked them to show more of their journey in that place before meeting the army, but something different than what Jackson gave us, with Gimli's antics and all that stuff).

I disagree with you about Sam abandoning Frodo. After making a huge deal about Sam promising Mr. Gandalf that he'd never abandon Mr. Frodo, he does. Why? Because an out of his mind Mr. Frodo tells him to. Even though Sam knows Gollum is a liar and murderer, he leaves his friend to the mercy of this cutthroat. At most, Sam would follow them in secret, not scamper down the mountain crying. And what makes him come back up? Finding the discarded bread. What, knowing Gollum tossed some bread made him REALLY angry? As opposed to hearing with his own ears that Gollum was planning on killing them both? I don't buy it. I've generally gone along with the changes to some of the character's character (e.g. Faramir), but this was a change in Sam's character, towards the end, just to suit the needs of the scene, that IMO didn't work (in context of the character).  All that said, I agree with you regarding Frodo's actions...they do aptly demonstrate the Ring's growing influence on Frodo. It's the way they had same react to that I take issue with.

Oh, but I don't entirely disagree with you. Let me put this way: I'm OK with them separating the two characters, but I'm not OK with how they did it. As I said in my review, the reason Jackson gives for Sam to go back doesn't work (he sees the Lembas bread, and suddenly decides to go back? Surely he knew right from the start Gollum had tossed away the bread). A better way to deal with that maybe would have been to have Sam follow Frodo discreetly: that way, the characters would still have been separated in a way (with maybe Sam losing track of Frodo in Shelob's lair), but you wouldn't have Sam abandoning Frodo. Sure, not a perfect solution, but hey, didn't put much thought into it!

Tying Arwen's fate to the fate of the Ring. Ugh. As if the fate of Middle-Earth hanging in the balance wasn't enough, Aragorn (and the audience) must be given additional motivation to care about the ring getting destroyed. Completely unnecessary, especially when the beat in the film at this point is Aragorn finally coming to terms with who he is ("become who you were born to be") and what he's supposed to do.

I can understand that, because frankly there's not much of a reason (if any) given as to why suddenly her fate is tied to the Ring's, but it doesn't bother me that much because there isn't that much screentime devoted to it (there's only the sequence in Rivendell and then when Aragorn is given Anduril, but after that it's never mentioned again), and is mostly used as an incentive for Elrond to give Aragorn Elendil's sword. It's a rather clumsy story device, yes, but it's not hugely detrimental to the film.

Related to this, Arwen "surprising" Aragorn at his coronation. What, sometime between the ring getting destroyed and becoming King Aragorn didn't ask someone "Hey, whatever happened to that elf girl I liked? Is she still around?"   After they made such a big deal of tying Arwen's fate to the Ring, this scene just seemed kind of off to me. And the kiss...ugh. In another movie it works fine, but here? Feels forced.

Never gave that one much thought to be honest.  To me it doesn't look like Aragorn is "surprised" to see Arwen here, rather stunned, after all those adventures he's been through, to finally be able to see her again.

The kiss... It does feel a bit Hollywood-ian (not a particularly kingly kiss!), but hey, after all they've been through, I can let that one slide...

I'll forgive the early 2000's CGI, not much they can do about that. But the bright, slick colour scheme they chose for this film was in contrast to the gritty naturalism of the first two. It gives it a kind of unrealistic, "fantasy" feel that continued on into The Hobbit.

Never had a problem with the colour scheme of that one (at least I don't think it's as pronounced as in The Hobbit). As I said, I was actually glad to see colors being back after the rather dull looking The Two Towers in that regard. The only two things I could understand people having a problem with are the green glow of the Army Of The Dead (doesn't really look frightening, does it?) and the golden look of the Pelennor Fields. The rest doesn't strike me as particularly "unrealistic".

There are more "highs" in the film than there are in TTT, and possibly Fellowship.  Those are just offset a bit by the flaws.

Actually, I don't see it that way. To me, the fact that there are so many "highs" help overlooking the flaws (which isn't as much the case with The Two Towers).

5 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

To me, the fact that there are so many "highs" help overlooking the flaws (which isn't as much the case with The Two Towers).

True! The highs do make me forgive and overlook the flaws. Let me put it this way...the highs are part of the reason I regard the film as highly as I do, but the flaws keep it from being at the level of the first two (particularly FOTR).

I agree that FOTR is the better film (though my personal preference will always go to ROTK); in FOTR, there is almost nothing that feels off, aside from a few quick-zoom camera shots in some of the action scenes that haven't aged very well.

Objectively, The Fellowship Of The Ring is definitely the best film and the best adaptation of the three.

The Two Towers is OK both as a film and as an adaptation (the Faramir/Osgiliath situation excepted), though it is uneven.

The Return Of The King is the worst adaptation (though I personally think they did an admirable job overall, given the complexity of the book) but a superb, even if bloated at times, film. I've come to realize that people who critizise it the most are fans of the book, generally bringing forth the argument that "it's better in the book", which is (for the most part) true, I don't deny that, but that's overlooking its undeniable qualities as a film (disregarding the adaptation part).

Just because the film doesn't completely line up with the book doesn't make it a bad movie. The film certainly is a remarkable landmark in cinema history, and the most visually stunning and emotionally powerful of the three.

It's hard to find anything written after 2003 I love as much as all the brilliant scores that came out between 1975 and 2003.

The Return Of The King marked the end of truly great blockbusters (the ones that knew how to balance properly practical effects and CG effects (though some might say that one already started going overboard with CG) as well as balance properly action sequences and more intimate character moments) as well as the end of truly great film scores (and when I say "great", I mean "GREAT", not just "very good"), the ones that make you forget you're just listening to music, the ones that sweep you off your feet and transport you into a whole new universe and take you on a musical rollercoaster of emotions only to leave you completely exhausted but also completely satisfied by the end of it!

I'll never forget the experience of watching ROTK (or any of the other LOTR films, for that matter) for the first time. Great memories.

2 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

I saw ROTK the first time in Amsterdam when I spent Christmas there that year. One of the most memorable cinematic experience of my life.

Was it because you got stoned out of your mind?

I've only done that once, but man oh man, I felt such a fantastic understanding of Tolkien's ideas.  Also felt like I could see exactly how the subtle "magic" of Middle-Earth worked.  I recall the Lothlórien sequence as being really stimulating in that direction.  Wish I could remember what the hell I was thinking, it had something to do with the water and the Elves' minds being somewhat slippery in the flow of time....

I remember my friends and I thought it would be a great idea to get super stoned before going to see Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix the first time.  It was not.  That movie is pretty boring sober.  Stoned, I just fell asleep.

I had quit smoking by the time The Hobbit films started coming out.  I wonder if they'd be better under the influence....