Sign in to follow this  
kaseykockroach

Hi-ho, Severin the human here.

Been shyly lurking in this forum for quite awhile now, only not joining before as attempts to express my passion for film music usually just amounts to inane gushing, rather than the delicious sarcasm and cruel wit I often witness here. But what the hey, I'll throw myself out here and see what I can handle. 

My love for John Williams mainly stems from Jurassic Park (though I also enjoy Don Davis and Giacchino's contributions to this franchise), E.T, Indiana Jones and especially Jaws. Not really into Star Wars, but I don't really have any criticism for it and have no desire to rain on anyone's parades. I just merely prefer sharks and dinosaurs to ewoks and wookies. 

I'm mainly a Goldsmith fanatic. Not in the sense that I want to own every single note of every single score he ever composed (I wouldn't want that even if I had the dough for such an endeavor!), just that his name tends to come up a lot in my "favorite scores" lists. Gremlins was the very first film score I ever bought on CD, while Poltergeist remains a strong contender for my absolute favorite film music listening experience. 

I also own, like and love the works of Christopher Young, John Powell, Basil Poledouris, James Newton Howard, Bruce Broughton, David Newman and Goblin. In terms of both what I watch and what I listen to, I tend to be into either horror (hence my fondness for Young and Goblin) or cartoons (hence my love for Powell and Newman). That is to say, sure, Elmer Bernstein's Ten Commandments is fine, but if I really want an out-of-body experience, I play either The Omen or Horton Hears a Who. :D

Welcome, human being!

I think it's always a good thing when someone lurks for a while before joining the forum: it gives that person a good idea of the spirit of the discussions going on here, and that way, when that person joins the conversation, he/she knows what to expect and isn't put off by some comments, knowing full well they shouldn't be taken seriously!

I'm sure you'll fit in easily, kakeykokrach... kaseykrachko... kraseykro... OK, you need to change your username, buddy.

Welcometo the boards.  Goldsmith fans are always welcome. Hurray!

There's no problem with not being a big Star Wars fan. Although there's probably going to be a lot of Star Wars talk here in the coming year. :P

But hey, we just got complete Jurassic Park and The Lost World, so it's a good time to be a fan of that side of Williams. :)

15 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

I'm mainly a Goldsmith fanatic. Not in the sense that I want to own every single note of every single score he ever composed (I wouldn't want that even if I had the dough for such an endeavor!), just that his name tends to come up a lot in my "favorite scores" lists. Gremlins was the very first film score I ever bought on CD, while Poltergeist remains a strong contender for my absolute favorite film music listening experience. 

But what do you think of Dennis the Menace???  I have been mocked for my love of that score, but they'll see.  One day!  THEY'LL ALL BE SORRY.

It's middle-drawer Goldsmith for me. A B+ effort, if you will. The main theme plays in my head now and then, and I put on the CD as an occasional hour-long pallet cleanser. Comparable to The Burbs, but a much more innocent, less overtly wacky personality.  

@Stefancos Eh, I don't listen to him much, so I don't really have a solid opinion of what I think of his music. My favorite score of his is probably "Rudy". His score for ST:TMP is alright, but sounds pretty dated with all the synth that he used in the soundtrack. I do, however, love the suite he composed for "Soarin'", a ride at Epcot in Disney World.

18 hours ago, Jay said:

Hmmm.  Sometimes Jerry's synth work can feel dated, I'd say, but nothing in TMP makes me feel that way!

There isnt a lot of synth in TMP. Though many mistake the Blaster Beam as being synth, obviously.

17 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

I...listen to Rudy more often than ST: TMP myself. xS

Final Frontier and First Contact too. 

..Am I banned already?

Rudy is a fine score. Feel free to stay.

18 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

I...listen to Rudy more often than ST: TMP myself. xS

Final Frontier and First Contact too. 

..Am I banned already?

Of course you stay!

If people don't agree with you, they'll soon let you know...

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 9:09 PM, kaseykockroach said:

I also own, like and love the works of Christopher Young, John Powell, Basil Poledouris, James Newton Howard, Bruce Broughton, David Newman...

Hey, alright!

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 9:09 PM, kaseykockroach said:

....and Goblin.

Uh...huh.

LINK is basically a poor man's GREMLINS, but since the poor man in question is Goldsmith, it's still a really fun listen. I put it on now and then as a 39-minute pallet cleanser inbetween the genuine classics.