The Last Jedi's temp-track is "95% Star Wars music"

kelliwisethebrave

A question and response re: temp music in TLJ.

TFA had a Star Wars temp track as well. 

But I highly, highly doubt in either case JW did/will actually hear it. 

What's the point of temping a John Williams Star Wars film with John Williams' Star Wars music? It seems like such a pointless exercise.

I thought Johnson usually resisted that whole process by working closely with his cousin throughout scoring.

Yes that is what I think.  Rian cut the film to a temp score, but when he sat down to JW to watch it, it played with no music at all.

But the editing continues!  It will continue for another 6 months!  This is the problem with recording the score now.  It's going to be all chopped up, I'm making that prediction right now.  We'll be listening to Williams' OST program and struggling to match it to the score in picture.

6 minutes ago, crumbs said:

It's sadly inevitable since the advent of AVID.

Well, there is that, sure, but also unsecure producers who get nervous 1 month before the release and ask for a whole chunk of the movie to be rewritten and changed. Add to that undecisive directors who're not sure exactly what they want, and you have a recipe for disaster!

Getting a marketing bonus and commission for every AVID sold I bet!

15 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Why do you think that?

One, just my gut, and that fact that Jay also seems to feel that way.

But also the fact that, according to Disco Stu, in the TFA commentary track J.J. Abrams said he was surprised by the "Rey's Trip" cue. That gave me the sense that maybe he was giving Williams some free reign, which I interpreted as JW not seeing the film with temp track. Obviously I am speculating a lot here and I could be wrong.

There'd be very little reason to show JW the film with the temp score if it's 95% SW music (and 100% JW music).

In that case, the temp score is more likely to just be a placeholder that helps Rian, the editors, producers, and whoever get a sense of what the film will feel like when it's completely scored, rather than as a guideline for JW as to what the score should sound like (like for the original SW).

2 hours ago, Gnome in Plaid said:

Nope.  5% Images.  Shit is gonna get weird.

Hopefully 5% of Heartbeeps and Training Montage from SpaceCamp. Shit is gonna get really weird and awkward 1980's style!

10 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

5% America the Dream Goes On

No. Just no. Nope. Never. Forget it! Let's call the whole thing off!

30 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Interviewer: "How is the score?"

Johnson: "The score is really fantastic! Williams outdid himself! He wrote amazing music! It is a really great, great score!"

Would have been better if you had made a false tweet to actually get that excited reaction from us.

And then, BAM! You unleash the heart-breaking truth.

32 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Interviewer: "How is the score?"

Johnson: "The score is really fantastic! Williams outdid himself! He wrote amazing music! It is a really great, great score!"

Followed by 10 pages of JWFANers saying things like: "Wow, sounds like the score will be really fantastic! I am getting really excited! I think the music will be amazing! It think it is going to be a really great, great score!"

Yes, the classic JWFan scenario. We are darn predictable.

10 minutes ago, Muad'Dib said:

Would have been better if you had made a false tweet to actually get that excited reaction from us.

And then, BAM! You unleash the heart-breaking truth.

Damn! Why didn't I think of that? Damn, damn, and triple damn!

What temp tracks for Star Wars films are known?

Think we all know about the ANH stuff and Adagio for Strings for the immolation scene in Sith but is much known about the rest?

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Some Prokoviev for ROTJ?

And some Respighi with a sprinkling of Stravinsky.

On 4/18/2017 at 8:00 AM, crumbs said:

I would be embarrassed for Rian if he spotted the film with JW using a temped cut.

More likely he used the temp to find the film's tone and gave JW notes about moods he felt would fit scenes, based on the temp.

I believe that this deserves some discussion: editing to temp. After all, temp music has always existed in filmmaking, but editing to temp music has not. Thanks to non-linear editing systems like AVID, it's become commonplace.

That is, unless a thread about such a discussion has already been made and I'm simply not aware of it.

It contradicts what he's said in the past about ensuring a scene works first and foremost without music; that you have to find the drama before adding music and it's a 'cheat' to use music in editing to enhance a scene that might not be working.

Perhaps it was a directive from Disney? Or he felt that, given the composer involved and the established sound of the series, there was little harm in diverging from his usual creative process?

If I recall the available footage of Lucas and Williams during the spotting sessions for both Phantom Menace and Empire, neither had music running while they were watching the footage.

In Williams case it's seems likely that any temp music is used strictly for film editing purposes.

On 4/18/2017 at 9:56 PM, DominicCobb said:

There'd be very little reason to show JW the film with the temp score if it's 95% SW music (and 100% JW music).

The reason is Williams has forgotten all the themes he wrote and needs to be reminded. Reportedly, he doesn't remember writing Rey's theme at all.

2 hours ago, Selina Kyle said:

Williams should have absolute power and not be dictated by a temp-track comprised of his own previous music.

Why do you say that like it's not the case?