The Last Jedi's temp-track is "95% Star Wars music"

kelliwisethebrave

Would it not be the case that they definitely have a temp score, but Williams can ultimately deviate?

Wouldn't the temp score be more important for the director/editors as a way of seeing how things will play out?

6 hours ago, SafeUnderHill said:

???

I fail to see the logic here? Surely the point of temping a film is to get a sense of what the final thing will end up like. Using music that won't be similar to the final product seems like a pointless exercise to me.

Because inevitably the temp score ends up influencing edit choices, rather than letting the film live and breathe as its own entity.

It's surprising that Johnson's editing with one considering his previous statements on the use of temp tracks, and the fact Williams is recording the score at the start of editing anyway. That's why it seems like a pointless exercise to me.

10 minutes ago, SafeUnderHill said:

I can see why people don't like temp scores. My comment was about the choice of temp score not whether to have one or not.

My original comment was just making the point that temping a Star Wars film to be scored by John Williams with Star Wars music is a pointless exercise.

Edit the film until it works and breathes as its own entity, rather than finding edit and sync points that line up with action scenes composed for entirely different films.

If it's more about "finding a mood," ala Lucas' temping classical pieces in the OT/PT (eg: Adagio for Immolation Scene), that's more understandable.

5 hours ago, crumbs said:

My original comment was just making the point that temping a Star Wars film to be scored by John Williams with Star Wars music is a pointless exercise.

Edit the film until it works and breathes as its own entity, rather than finding edit and sync points that line up with action scenes composed for entirely different films.

What makes you think that's not the case? Johnson specifically mentioned his music editor.

The situation seems very clear to me. Edit the film, then add temp to get a feel for the film when watching it. Remove temp, have JW watch and write his own score. What about this all is so hard for people to believe? For me it's the only scenario that makes any sense.

On 19/04/2017 at 11:33 AM, Bilbo Skywalker said:

What temp tracks for Star Wars films are known?

Think we all know about the ANH stuff and Adagio for Strings for the immolation scene in Sith but is much known about the rest?

According to The Making of The Empire Strikes Back, Kirshner had Hindemith, Stravinsky, Shostakovitch, Prokofiev (the Eistenstein scores), Copland and Bliss on the film's temp track.

It's really not a big deal.  Temp tracks rarely mean "copy this".  It is just a communication tool to help verbalize a director's intentions and it is usually just a starting point for the discussion not the end of it.  Frequently, a director will refer to the temp saying something like "the rhythm works for me but the mood is all wrong" and that is useful to the composer to hear.  Remember, Jaws was temped with Images and Johnny said something to the effect of "oh no, baby, you need adventure music not horror music". 

6 hours ago, DominicCobb said:

Edit the film, then add temp to get a feel for the film when watching it. Remove temp, have JW watch and write his own score. 

Yeah, it's definitely possible that that's what happened.

I'm sure they have to "sell" the film to Bob Iger and others as it comes together, and they need music to do this, but it doesn't necessarily mean that the music was used in editing (although it could have been).