REMIXED & RESTORED: The Lost World: Jurassic Park

Mr. Breathmask

From "On the Glass" to the end, there are no 30 seconds without music. Spielberg knew the movie would lose the power of silence and justifiedly dropped a lot of the score. But all the replacements are sometimes annoying.

I would love to see the original cut!:(

Yeah I also feel like it sounds better with the Wrecked Ship/Monster on the Loose synching should a little later (about 7 seconds)

with the loudest part of Wrecked Ships' ending not beginning until Ian realizes the T-rex is in the cargo hold

and MotL not starting until the T-rex breaks out (that would mean a trim to the music, but we could also attribute that to FX cuts)

the rest seems right tho

21 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

I think that i would start montster on the loose as the t-rex blasts open the cargo doors. imo, The change in the metal wind instrument is weird  with the shot of the guard geting the remote control device.

18 hours ago, MedigoScan said:

Yeah I also feel like it sounds better with the Wrecked Ship/Monster on the Loose synching should a little later (about 7 seconds)

with the loudest part of Wrecked Ships' ending not beginning until Ian realizes the T-rex is in the cargo hold

and MotL not starting until the T-rex breaks out (that would mean a trim to the music, but we could also attribute that to FX cuts)

the rest seems right tho

I moved the search of the ship around a bit and found it did indeed sync a bit bitter if we account for a cut somewhere around the time the Rex escapes. I first had a blank screen between the reaction shot of Ludlow and the Rex leaving the ship. It was long enough so that the start of Monster on the Loose started as the Rex bursted through the doors. But that meant the music that's there in the film is in the wrong place.

The first two bars of Monster on the Loose - which is the part at the beginning that's unused - are marked "optional repeat" on the sheet music. So what if they were really recorded as an option and not necessarily meant to be there? Watch what happens when I trim those two bars and leave the footage intact. The music that's in the film for the Rex breaking free stays in place, but the footage of the search across the ship moves forward in relation to The Wrecked Ship by about eight seconds. And I think this actually works much better! Check it out (resynced material at 0:44-2:12):

5 hours ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

The first two bars of Monster on the Loose - which is the part at the beginning that's unused - are marked "optional repeat" on the sheet music. So what if they were really recorded as an option and not necessarily meant to be there? Watch what happens when I trim those two bars and leave the footage intact. The music that's in the film for the Rex breaking free stays in place, but the footage of the search across the ship moves forward in relation to The Wrecked Ship by about eight seconds. And I think this actually works much better! Check it out (resynced material at 0:44-2:12):

that is what i meant with my last message but i couldnt put in in words correctly :)

Yeah, I'm pretty convinced this makes more sense. Even if it means cutting the opening few seconds of Monster on the Loose. I've updated the previous video accordingly.

Since you fixed the transition between The Wreaked Ship and Monster On the Loose, I guess you can delete the post of the video with only the two cues.

9 hours ago, MovieMusicMaestro said:

There is a typo at minute 12:07. The sign says "No tresspassing." It should say "No trespassing." ;-)

Woah.  You've been a member since 2003, and this is your 11th post.

Fascinating.

It has been a very, very busy day today. But here's a final treat for you guys before I'm off to bed!

17. Visitor in San Diego, part 2 */Ludlow's End */Tranquilizer Dart */Jurassic Park Theme (End Credits) */The Lost World (alternate)

13M2 The Streets of San Diego
13M3/14M1 Ludlow’s End
14M2 The Saving Dart
[unknown]

And here we come to our final video. The Streets of San Diego was written to start right on the smash cut to the screaming woman, but the first forty seconds of the track are dropped in favor of silence. Instead, in the final film the music starts as we cut inside the video store. The whole sequence is scored with appropriately wild action music, as if we're watching a circus gone wild. There's a small edit as the crowd of police cars comes across the T-Rex, before the percussion returns - heavier than ever - for Malcolm and Sarah's final chase.

The Streets of San Diego goes straight into Ludlow's End, which is written to overlap. A huge part of this cue is unused. Only the first fifteen seconds are in the film. The atmospherics for Ludlow exploring the cargo hold are dropped in favor of silence. A big action piece was written for Ludlow's demise and Sarah and Malcolm's race across the ship's deck, but that was all scrapped and replaced with the concert version of the Lost World theme (including the alternate opening that was first released on the La-La Land set). It's one of the most noticeable tonal shifts between written score and final film mix. The written version extends the pulse-pounding action climax until the moment Sarah fires the tranquilizer dart, whereas the film version heralds the arrival of the adult rex as the start of the triumph. Using the adventurous main theme for a major character's death is a rather gleeful relishing in "punishing" the bad guy and I always felt it was an odd choice. But I guess Spielberg wanted one more rousing rendition of the theme to signal the action's end. In the final film, the Lost World theme feels like the main theme of the film, but listening to the written score, I'd argue the film's main theme is actually The Island's Voice (although it is not used here).

Ludlow's End is supposed to flow straight into The Saving Dart. Of course, the end of Ludlow's End is unused and replaced by the Lost World theme. The first eight seconds of The Saving Dart are also unused. Instead, the T-Rex's roar plays over silence and the music fades in as we cut to Malcolm watching the hatch close. The final cue before the end credits then offers some relief after all the action as the film wraps up. The Lost World theme gets a gentle rendition as we see the Venture heading back to Isla Sorna. Jurassic Park's main theme is reprised as John Hammond makes his final appearance. In the film, the adventure theme from the first film follows this and takes us straight into the end credits, but this transition was created editorially. The score's original ending features an ending that is entirely different. Gentle violins and a ghostly synth voice take us back to Isla Sorna, where dinosaurs now live in the wild, completely out of man's control. It is a more downbeat ending that underscores the environmental message, but arguably not the tone you want the audience to leave the cinema with.

The edit at the end of The Saving Dart leads straight into a rendition of the adventure theme for the start of the end credits. This is followed by the Lost World concert suite for the second part of the end credits. Because I have eliminated this edit by restoring the original ending of The Saving Dart, I have included tracks 13 and 14 of disc 4 of the La-La Land Records set for your listening pleasure to round out the experience. To facilitate this length, the end credits scroll has been slowed down to run about a third longer.

So there it is. I hope you have all enjoyed these remixes. Researching, remixing and restoring The Lost World was certainly an undertaking, but I've really enjoyed the process. The Lost World: Jurassic Park as interpreted by John Williams appears to be a very different film. Overall, the final film mix favors silence in several places (not uncommon for a Jurassic Park movie as we saw last time) or the adventurous tones of the Lost World theme to soothe the audience and remind them they're watching a popcorn adventure film.

What do you think of the differences? Do you have a favorite piece of dropped music? And what other score would you like to see remixed and restored?

An excellent job on restoring the unused music from Jurassic Park and The Lost World. I love to see the Maestro's music that was not used restored to how he conducted the score.

It is very interesting in the best way. I have a request for another project you can work on:

A.I. Artificial Intelligence.

I think the ending cue is not bad at all, williams composed a subdued cue because the scene is peaceful, and like in Jurassic park it blends with the dinosaur sounds so it does not interfere with them. (See the final notes accompanying the pteranodom scream).

I just have to say: Spielberg's choice to drop music in favor of silence was mostly justified, but High Bar and Ceiling Tiles, Ludlow's End as well as Tranquilizer Dart are SO AWESOME in complete form!!!!! Inserting the Lost World Theme over and over was Spielberg's worst musical decision ever made.

When put back to film, the end of Ludlow's Speech is probably my favorite piece of unused music. Followed by the complete Ludlow's End. Followed by the second half of Up in a Basket. All these tension-building pieces really add to the film.

I think Mike M told me that it was JW's intention that as soon as Saving Dart ended, the Lost World Theme (Alternate) would play FIRST in the end credits, with the JP theme re-recorded track used to fill whatever space was left at the end.

The ending of The Saving Dart?  It's one of my favorite moments in the entire score, its such a brilliant way to sum up his musical narrative.

I totally get why Spielberg didn't want it in the final film, but I love Williams' intentions here

On 5/10/2017 at 3:06 PM, Jay said:

I think Mike M told me that it was JW's intention that as soon as Saving Dart ended, the Lost World Theme (Alternate) would play FIRST in the end credits, with the JP theme re-recorded track used to fill whatever space was left at the end.

I was wondering if that was the case.

Good thing I prepared an alternate version then. Enjoy this as a little bonus. ;)

18. Visitor in San Diego, part 2 */Ludlow's End */Tranquilizer Dart */The Lost World (alternate)/Jurassic Park Theme (End Credits) *

13M2 The Streets of San Diego
13M3/14M1 Ludlow’s End
14M2 The Saving Dart
[unknown]

Here is the finale again, but this time with The Lost World kicking off the end credits, before going into the Jurassic Park Theme.

1 hour ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

When put back to film, the end of Ludlow's Speech is probably my favorite piece of unused music. Followed by the complete Ludlow's End. Followed by the second half of Up in a Basket. All these tension-building pieces really add to the film.

I love the silence before and after the ship crash, so I'm happy that it was left off the final film but I'm also happy that it was composed, so there is more music on album to enjoy.

The second half of Up in a Basket adds too much tension to the trailer sequence too fast and reduces the surprising effect when On the Glass sets in. The big gap of silence draws our attention more to the events when the music is playing, so I also understand Spielberg's intention that led to that dropping.

Oh, definitely. There would have been way too much music if all of it had been used in the film. But as standalone pieces accompanied by the appropriate images, they all work really well and I love what Williams does with them. But silence is a powerful tool in a filmmaker's toolkit and looking at the larger picture, some of this score was justifiably dropped.

I guess. But whenever I watch The Empire Strikes Back, I can't help but hear the dropped music continue playing in my head. The score is just that familiar to me. And sometimes I really wish the music was there.

Well, I think dropping what they dropped in both TESB and TLW made the films stronger for general audiences, but yea some of the stuff being back in wouldn't have changed things too much.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

The ending of The Saving Dart?  It's one of my favorite moments in the entire score, its such a brilliant way to sum up his musical narrative.

I totally get why Spielberg didn't want it in the final film, but I love Williams' intentions here

Yeah, it would have been quite a bold shot to use it though.

I might be wrong, but it also feels pretty unique among Williams' repertoire.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Well, I think dropping what they dropped in both TESB and TLW made the films stronger for general audiences.

Oh, sure. But I can't judge that score's use in the film objectively anyway. I love the music too damn much and I've heard it so many times any time the music drops away in the film it feels off. It's a fanboy thing.

I think you need to fix the final video. From 11:06 to 14:48, the end credits scroll fast forwards out of sync with the music.

20 hours ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

To facilitate this length, the end credits scroll has been slowed down to run about a third longer.

That is the exact opposite of what I said. From 11:06 to 14:48, the end credits scroll fast forwards out of sync with the music. The final video needs to be fixed.

8 hours ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

Oh, sure. But I can't judge that score's use in the film objectively anyway. I love the music too damn much and I've heard it so many times any time the music drops away in the film it feels off. It's a fanboy thing.

That's why one of the most important abilities of a filmmaker is to drop things that many people spent much time to create.

1 hour ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

Fixed. 

Thanks.

Next project (if you like):

A.I. Artificial Intelligence.

There are quite a few instances of unused music that I've always wanted to see restored to the finished film.

Really loved how these turned out, and now I finally can fully appreciate this score in context with the film!

I know it isn't Williams, but do you think you may have an interest in Jurassic Park 3 by Don Davis? I mean, it does use many of the John Williams themes, and while we don't have full sessions we do have the lengthy promo that has the full score; or at least the original versions of cues. Lots of stuff that was dropped from the film, including the entire music when T-Rex battles the Spinosaurus. Just a thought! :D

I'd prefer an analysis of Giacchino's score (better music for a better movie), but either one would have me positively giddy!

As someone who mainly plays his film music in the car while on the job delivering, I prefer 1-disc listening experiences. So this is the album I made for myself! Believe me, it took a lot of analyzing, researching, soul-searching and minor heartbreaks in terms of deciding which cues to leave out. I think I might've spent more than a few hours putting this together. But this is The Lost World, man. This is worth it. This is special. I honestly worship this and the first score about the same (though I adore "A Visitor in San Diego" even more than "T-Rex Rescue and Finale"). 

1. The Lost World 
2. The Island's Voice 
 3. Revealing the Plans 
 4. To the Island 
 5. The Stegosaurus 
 6. The Hunt 
 7. In the Trailer 
 8. On the Glass 
 9. Rescuing Sarah 
 10. The Trek 
 11. The Compys! 
 12. The Long Grass 
 13. Finding Camp Jurassic 
 14. The Raptors Appear 
 15. Ludlow's Speech 
 16. Monster on the Loose 
 17. Ludlow's End 
 18. Visitor in San Diego 
 19. Tranquilizer Dart 
 20. Jurassic Park Theme (End Credits)

I'm curious as to if anyone will be offended by what cues I chose to leave out. 

And sadly, I didn't have room to throw in Weird Al's Jurassic Park at the end. :(

Dunno why you posted your list in Marc's thread instead of the general thread for the box set, but here's mine. I dunno why you'd waste 5 minutes of space on the first film's themes suite over more TLW music!

01 The Island's Voice (3:36)
02 Revealing The Plans (2:17)
03 To The Island (3:40)
04 The Stegosaurus (Extended Version) (5:29)
05 Fire At Camp And Corporate Helicopters (3:21)
06 The Hunt (3:35)
07 Up In A Basket (3:25)
08 On The Glass (4:05)
09 Rescuing Sarah (Extended Version) (5:11)
10 Reading The Map (3:09)
11 The Trek (5:25)
12 Ripples (5:52)
13 The Raptors Appear (3:43)
14 High Bar And Ceiling Tiles (4:11)
15 Heading North (2:13)
16 Ludlow's Speech (3:14)
17 Visitor In San Diego (Extended Version) (7:40)
18 Ludlow's End (2:52)
19 Tranquilizer Dart (3:01)
20 The Lost World (Alternate) (3:37)
TOTAL TIME - 1:19:36

7 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

I'd prefer an analysis of Giacchino's score (better music for a better movie)

I actually list Jurassic World as one of the worst films ever made and one of the most miserable experiences I've ever had in a movie theater.  It was a pathetic film, I was so depressed at how terrible it was.  No fun at all.

I think we should use this thread to discuss Marc's great work, and not wishlist other projects he might do or discuss the other films or alternate album programs, etc.

On 11/05/2017 at 6:48 AM, Jay said:

Dunno why you posted your list in Marc's thread instead of the general thread for the box set, but here's mine. I dunno why you'd waste 5 minutes of space on the first film's themes suite over more TLW music!

01 The Island's Voice (3:36)
02 Revealing The Plans (2:17)
03 To The Island (3:40)
04 The Stegosaurus (Extended Version) (5:29)
05 Fire At Camp And Corporate Helicopters (3:21)
06 The Hunt (3:35)
07 Up In A Basket (3:25)
08 On The Glass (4:05)
09 Rescuing Sarah (Extended Version) (5:11)
10 Reading The Map (3:09)
11 The Trek (5:25)
12 Ripples (5:52)
13 The Raptors Appear (3:43)
14 High Bar And Ceiling Tiles (4:11)
15 Heading North (2:13)
16 Ludlow's Speech (3:14)
17 Visitor In San Diego (Extended Version) (7:40)
18 Ludlow's End (2:52)
19 Tranquilizer Dart (3:01)
20 The Lost World (Alternate) (3:37)
TOTAL TIME - 1:19:36

Oh, sorry. I kind of also took it as a thread for the score in general. ^^;

And I can't have a Jurassic Park CD end without the theme! That's just...just..

I've gathered that! My 1-disc experience is purely for when I'm on a road trip and need to focus on the GPS instructions rather than when it's time to put in the second CD.