Will we see a new box set for 40 years of Star Wars?

Jwfan2234

I doubt they'd do a once-a-year release schedule, though. They'd have to sustain the market's interest in these score releases for nine consecutive years. And who knows where the physical music business will be nine years from now?

Now releasing a box set for each trilogy in consecutive years... That sounds doable.

Or release each score three or four months apart, for all I care. Surely, they can come up with something?!

Completely agreed.  Lucasfilm expansions won't come out on the boutique labels, they'll be on Disney Records.

Well, maybe Intrada will get to do WILLOW (and Howard the Duck), but the 11 (soon to be 13) big Williams ones will certainly be Disney Records.

Oh, sure.

But I just don't want them to wait too long and have the CD become obsolete. I want these babies on shiny disc (and not just a bunch of downloads or streams or a stupid bulky hipster vinyl set).

I admit some vinyl sets become dumb extravagances, that's the nature of the nerd-exploitation business.  But I take umbrage at the implication that all vinyl releases are for hipsters who don't actually care about the music.  I've listened to my vinyl copy of the TFA OST dozens of times at this point, probably my favorite way to listen to it.

2019 - Star Wars Trilogy

2020 - Indiana Jones Trilogy

2021 - Star Wars Prequel Trilogy

2022 - Indy 4 & 5

2023 - Star Wars Sequel Trilogy

Something like that?

Just now, Disco Stu said:

I admit some vinyl sets become dumb extravagances, that's the nature of the nerd-exploitation business.  But I take umbrage at the implication that all vinyl releases are for hipsters who don't actually care about the music.  I've listened to my vinyl copy of the TFA OST dozens of times at this point, probably my favorite way to listen to it.

Oh, I'm fine with people wanting to buy vinyl.

But what pisses me off is stuff like the remastering of the original Star Wars trilogy albums Sony did last year. Those were released digitally and on vinyl, but not on CD. The point here is that absence of a CD release bothers me more than the existence of the vinyl.

Just now, Mr. Breathmask said:

But what pisses me off is stuff like the remastering of the original Star Wars trilogy albums Sony did last year. Those were released digitally and on vinyl, but not on CD. The point here is that absence of a CD release bothers me more than the existence of the vinyl.

That makes sense.  They should have released that box in all 3 formats, for sure.

That would have been another 3-5 cds if they added the OSTs in that set. Honestly If they hadnt included the 2cd versions it would have made more sense as OST series set. The backlash would still be there in some form but at least we would have the original trilogy remastered on cd. It still doesn't make sense that they used the OST artwork and liner notes from the original Trilogy. Perhaps it was a last minute decision to go with the expanded versions ? Oh well at least we have Vinyl and digital downloads for the OST versions.

2 minutes ago, azahid said:

That would have been another 3-5 cds if they added the OSTs in that set.

Not if they'd released it instead of the double discs, which would have actually made the set more coherent.

2 minutes ago, azahid said:

Oh well at least we have Vinyl and digital downloads for the OST versions.

That's the kind of complacency that keeps proper releases out of our hands!

I don't care about any of them, except for the ESB OST.  I finally caved and bought the download of the OST program, but I'd love to see that on CD for the first time.

22 minutes ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

Not if they'd released it instead of the double discs, which would have actually made the set more coherent.

That's the kind of complacency that keeps proper releases out of our hands!

I said the same thing. They should have gone with the entire OST album lot and foregone the expansions this time.

32 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I don't care about any of them, except for the ESB OST.  I finally caved and bought the download of the OST program, but I'd love to see that on CD for the first time.

Yeah, that and the original film OST are pretty much perfect "listening experience focused" soundtrack programs.  I won't say my opinion of the ROTJ OST for fear of triggering a certain JWFan member..........................

11 minutes ago, azahid said:

I said the same thing. They should have gone with the entire OST album lot and foregone the expansions this time.

Yes. I used a stupid way of saying I agree.

The funny thing is that not only did they use the original LP artworks, but (correct me if I'm wrong), they also incorrectly put the tracklists of the OST programs on the CD set. Makes me wonder if they didn't originally intended to actually put the OST programs on the CD set (or maybe the guy who did the set design was given all the LP releases information, worked with that and nobody proofread the set after that).

I don't even understand what kept them from putting the remastered OSTs on CD?  Some last minute directive from Lucasfilm?  Georgey Porgy doesn't want "Lapti Nek" on CD ever again?

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

I don't think they put the OST tracklists on the CDs.  Why did you think they did that?

Watched this unboxing video (just to see how the set looked like), and there's this comment at 09:48:

They even used the original OST record sticker art on a SE release CD?  Jesus that sure was a rushed release just to squeeze a little bit more money out of them before the rights went to Disney.

That's why I wonder if they originally intended to put the OST programs on the CD set. It doesn't make much sense to keep all the original artwork but not the original album program. But then again, it's Sony....

Another thing that is hard to say, we must contemplate Williams' time left on this earth. Surely this would affect plans for any expanded set, either in Disney and other labels releasing them, or letting the tapes/digital files sit in the vault, never to be used...

How many releases does Star Wars need before they actually add some more music? :shakehead:

On 4/20/2017 at 3:38 PM, Jay said:

Yea, with Spielberg being such a huge fan of Williams' work, it is a shame he hasn't decided to make an isolated score a feature of all his home video releases

I would guess that he equally respects JW's desire to have a listening experience.

On 4/20/2017 at 3:31 PM, mstrox said:

I would never consider a Blu-ray as a Williams release, personally - isolated score or not. 

I didn't consider the Superman DVD as a score release, nor do I count the Family Man DVD as a release of Elfman's score (which I'm still waiting on, youse guys)

Nor do I. Especially if there's a separate CD release.

The SUPERMAN iso has "alternate" takes of several cues (and by that, I mean ("edited'). Don't forget all the wonderful "sessions" stuff.

21 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Watched this unboxing video (just to see how the set looked like), and there's this comment at 09:48:

That jerk didn't suss what RSO meant!

LOL!

A dyslexic writing of an abbreviation of Revenge of the Sith?  Radio Symphony Orchestra?

I'm old enough to remember RSO records and had some around the family's hi-fi (which did have an 8-track player).  Don't recall if I ever heard what the RSO stood for (if anything).

When Jay announced that the rights had moved to Disney and knowing that Disney is planning on getting a return on its purchase of Lucasfilm, I thought that they might do two boxed sets this year: the original trilogy (remastered and including three minutes of music never before released!) in May to coincide with Star Wars' 40th anniversary and then the complete prequel trilogy released a week before Thanksgiving in the US, (a week before the specialty labels Black Friday releases) giving it a month on the market before the release of Episode 8.

Guess my guess about the timing is wrong, but at some point I'm sure we'll the complete scores of the prequels as recorded.  Afterall, Disney wants to get a return on its investment into Lucasfilm and the scores can provide some revenue.

Here is what Mike Matessino posted on facebook about the 40th Anniversary!

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10155465251329573&id=649949572

The 40th anniversary is about THE LAST JEDI and the concerts, not about original versions of the OT (the current versions will be done in concert) or  restorations of the complete scores being released. Not this year!

29 minutes ago, azahid said:

Here is what Mike Matessino posted on facebook about the 40th Anniversary!

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10155465251329573&id=649949572

The 40th anniversary is about THE LAST JEDI and the concerts, not about original versions of the OT (the current versions will be done in concert) or  restorations of the complete scores being released. Not this year!

:(

Someone from Jedi Council Forums allegedly contacted Mike Matessino on Facebook and he said this:

"I am involved in the conversations about where to go from here, but I’m not permitted to say anything beyond that. There would be a lot of work to be done and it may not be right away. But when it does happen, I expect it to all be handled properly."

Source: http://boards.theforce.net/threads/disney-now-owns-the-rights-to-the-sw-scores-sonys-contract-has-expired.50043655/page-2

4 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Someone from Jedi Council Forums allegedly contacted Mike Matessino on Facebook and he said this:

"I am involved in the conversations about where to go from here, but I’m not permitted to say anything beyond that. There would be a lot of work to be done and it may not be right away. But when it does happen, I expect it to all be handled properly."

Source: http://boards.theforce.net/threads/disney-now-owns-the-rights-to-the-sw-scores-sonys-contract-has-expired.50043655/page-2

That also rhymes with what Matessino told me about 'other' projects. he usually says like:  ' I cant comment on those...' I on the other hand around January did ask him about doing STAR WARS OT himself and he expressed great interest in doing provided if he was given the opportunity.

I must also add now that I did write extensively to certain 'executives' at both Lucasfilm and Disney via emails earlier this year about having Mike Matessino be involved in the restoration of STAR WARS scores given his current associations with John Williams management and various projects and expertise. etc,.

I don't now if they even were even read (Of course I never received any acknowledgement; nor did I expect any response) but from the above it seems that it may be looked at by Disney label entirely and that we have to be patient before something very promising develops for 2018-19

I expect Lucasfilms' priority right now is to market and profit from their latest products. It'll take some quiet waters for them to go back to the old stuff. And with new movies lined up for the next several years, I don't see these re-releases happening anytime soon.

That's a good point. They still have brand new Star Wars scores by John Williams in the pipeline; the only previous score expansions (other than TPM UE) came while the series was relatively dormant.

Im not worried anymore. Expanded SW scores will eventually turn up and we just will have to wait for them to materialise in proper time. Remember there is only ONE Mike Matessino and right now he is tied up with various projects (both Williams and other) So lets sit tight, prepare for our savings and Enjoy 2017. Its going to be a great, great year. 

18 hours ago, azahid said:

Im not worried anymore. Expanded SW scores will eventually turn up and we just will have to wait for them to materialise in proper time. Remember there is only ONE Mike Matessino and right now he is tied up with various projects (both Williams and other) So lets sit tight, prepare for our savings and Enjoy 2017. Its going to be a great, great year. 

I am taking all of this as "Expanded SW scores will eventually turn up" as well, very happy. Little disappointed we have to wait, but I'd rather it was done properly like he said. 

8 hours ago, aj_vader said:

I am taking all of this as "Expanded SW scores will eventually turn up" as well, very happy. Little disappointed we have to wait, but I'd rather it was done properly like he said. 

Yes, but in the meantime we will be pretty much occupied with other Williams  related goodies and time will pass quickly. There might be a few more disappointments this year but that wont damper your spirits that much. ;)

On 4/29/2017 at 9:13 PM, azahid said:

Yes, but in the meantime we will be pretty much occupied with other Williams  related goodies and time will pass quickly. There might be a few more disappointments this year but that wont damper your spirits that much. ;)

Are there new expanded/complete Williams Releases coming soon?

26 minutes ago, aj_vader said:

Are there new expanded/complete Williams Releases coming soon?

Oh yes. A few titles. Start saving😊