Possible Writers Guild of America Strike Upcoming

Will

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/hollywood-writers-strike-2017_us_58f72abfe4b029063d352f40

Hmm. I don't really care about TV but how would this impact movies?

For example, would Star Wars: Episode IX face difficulties because they couldn't make any changes to the script during the strike? I don't know how long these strikes usually last. 

EDIT: The 2007/2008 one (the last one?) lasted more than three months. 

Just now, Disco Stu said:

I think Episode IX is too far in the future to be much impacted.  I would think 2018 films could be impacted.  Has Kasdan finished writing the Han Solo movie?

Yes, according to this: https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2016/06/iain-mccaig-talks-about-production-on-the-force-awakens-hints-at-star-wars-episode-viii-plot.html

Plus they've already begun filming. 

OK I'll admit I haven't watched any Star Wars Rebels.  I was under the impression it's the same creative crew as Clone Wars?

I really tried with Clone Wars, forced myself through two whole seasons of that garbage.  The most boring, dramatically inert cartoon.  Just terrible writing, devoid of all interest and suspense.  Even the voice acting was awful, everyone sounding stiff as a board.

Is it better than that?

I really tried with Clone Wars, forced myself through two whole seasons of that garbage.  The most boring, dramatically inert cartoon.  Just terrible writing, devoid of all interest and suspense.  Even the voice acting was awful, everyone sounding stiff as a board.

To be fair, the music is fucking awful too.  

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

The Tartakovsky series was all that was needed anyway!

3 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

OK I'll admit I haven't watched any Star Wars Rebels.  I was under the impression it's the same creative crew as Clone Wars?

Is it better than that?

If you hated TCW, you probably won't like Rebels.

Funnily enough I just looked it up, and Obi-Wan is played by the same Voice Actor! (James Arnold Taylor)

Its all over youtube, so it's easily accessible. 

Heh, I see he also voices Obi-Wan in Rebels.  He graduated from a third-rate, painfully bad Ewan McGregor impression to a third-rate, painfully bad Alec Guinness impression! :P 

The Clone Wars was great but it really only found its feet midway through season 3.

Rebels is awful though. 

Heh, I see he also voices Obi-Wan in Rebels.  He graduated from a third-rate, painfully bad Ewan McGregor impression to a third-rate, painfully bad Alec Guinness impression! :P 

He does the Ewan Obi Wan in season One.

A different actor does the Guinness Obi wan in season 3.

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

Arnold Taylor only voiced the ROTS era Obi-Wan so no Guinness, Stephen Stanton voiced the ANH era Ben Kenobi. 

The forum software allows either a upvote/downvote system or a Like system, and after initially trying out the first option for a few days, I switched us to the Like system and don't regret it.

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Is it better than that?

I can't disagree with you on most of those points, actually. 

I watched the whole first season, and, you're right, most of the episodes were pretty boring. Actually, I often find Star Wars somewhat boring while actually watching.

However, for some reason I just can't look away from Star Wars. And I think part of it is because of the grand story it tells. As singular entertainment, Clone Wars (at least the first season; Bilbo Skywalker has said it gets better in the third) is surely not the best there is (although, frankly, I don't watch much TV at all; I'm just assuming).

However, when taken in the context of the entire Star Wars canon, it takes on a significant importance.

Whether that makes it worth watching is still debatable, IMO -- it's not the type of show I'm always yearning to watch, let's put it that way. It may be some completist Star Wars urge that's the only thing making me watch these.

However, in particular there are some episodes that add a lot to the understand of Star Wars as a whole, whether they are actually entertaining or not -- for example, the Yoda arc in season six (which I skipped to because I didn't want to have to plow through several more seasons to get to it), and its ideas of the living and cosmic Force. 

Anyway, I found the first season of Rebels significantly more entertaining than the first of Clone Wars. I think part of that was the wise decision to stick to one crew, and make them new characters. 

I think the music is very good, at least in context. I haven't really listened to any on album, but it does a great job for the show. 

I'd certainly give Rebels a shot if it'd ever come to Netflix like Clone Wars.

I dunno, to me these shows have to work on their own as stories.  If anyone is watching an entire TV series just to make they're up to date on Star Wars canon....just go read Wookiepedia.  I'm not going to watch something just because it's Star Wars.  In my opinion, the storytelling and style of those first two seasons of Clone Wars was just really bad.  Bad scripts, bad plots, bad acting, even the animation itself I found offputting.

3 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Since movies aren't written this shouldn't affect them too much.

What?

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I'd certainly give Rebels a shot if it'd ever come to Netflix like Clone Wars.

I dunno, to me these shows have to work on their own as stories.  If anyone is watching an entire TV series just to make they're up to date on Star Wars canon....just go read Wookiepedia.  I'm not going to watch something just because it's Star Wars.  In my opinion, the storytelling and style of those first two seasons of Clone Wars was just really bad.  Bad scripts, bad plots, bad acting, even the animation itself I found offputting.

True, yeah, Wookiepedia might be the way to go for me. And then if there are any episodes that sound really awesome, I can watch them. 

It is really weird to me that Rebels isn't on Netflix.  There's already that exclusive Disney deal with Netflix, the entire Clone Wars is on there, and you'd think it'd be a great way to attract new viewers to the show.  Just bizarre.

I don't think there's particularly a hidden depth to the Star Wars movies that is clarified through any non-film media, but I will say that watching Clone Wars retroactively made the prequels seem better to me.*

*I haven't watched any of the prequels in a long, long time, but it at least rose-colored my glasses a bit.

1 hour ago, BloodBoal said:

To say that you have to watch certain episodes from Clone Wars to "understand Star Wars as a whole" is pure bullshit

I was not suggesting, as I believe is fairly clear from my wording, that it is necessary to watch Clone Wars to enjoy the films. 

Rather, I said that it added a lot to the understanding of Star Wars. Which it absolutely does. 

I thought this had been going on for a while now? I mean, everything that comes out is a shitty remake, sequel, prequel, reboot or spin-off with screenplays seemingly from a script-generator app on the producer's phone.