The JW SOURCE MUSIC Thread

Naïve Old Fart

I'm not at all sure if any thread has been created for this, but...is there a thread for JW's source cues, especially, cues that do not feature on either OSTs, or expanded editions?

For example, what is the name of the cue in EARTHQUAKE, that underscores Victoria Principal in that t-shirt? Do we know who played on it, and what is it called?

Have these cues been collated, by anyone?

Answers on.

It's a topic I've been meaning to do myself, i.e. favourite JW 'source cues'. There are plenty to choose from, and in many instances the source cues are my favourite tracks on the album (like with CINDERELLA LIBERTY). I could assemble a list if I had the time, but hopefully someone has done this already.

Yes. At the dinner table, it is. If you listen carefully, you can hear that the music is SLAVE CHILDREN'S CRUSADE.

I'm not sure if the little "dance" music is traditional, or JW. Anyone?

Ps the "Shorty, where's my razor?" shot, is beautiful!

That is certainly an option, as it would help to catalog all these tracks, in some way. If anyone could supply personell  details, for these cues, then that would be even better.

Another cue that I like is the music that is playing on the kid's headphones, in TTI. Is there a name for this cue, and does anyone know who played on it - especially the Hammond?

We're only counting 'source cues' that have been commercially released on album, right (in either original or rearranged form -- the latter is more common, of course)?

22 hours ago, Richard said:

For example, what is the name of the cue in EARTHQUAKE, that underscores Victoria Principal in that t-shirt? Do we know who played on it, and what is it called?

Have these cues been collated, by anyone?

Answers on.

There are some fabulous source music cues in Earthquake, but I think we would need access to the original cue sheets or a midnight raid on that library in John Williams's house to find out their official titles.  In the cue analysis I did a few years ago I called this one Slade Meets Rosa, but that is a purely speculative title on my part.

I know of some of the musicians who played on the Earthquake soundtrack.  These include Malcolm McNab and Chuck Findley on trumpet, pianist Clare Fischer (I think I have also seen Ralph Grierson's name mentioned as tinkling the ivories on this one), the legendary pairing of Shelly Manne on drums and Emil Richards on percussion, the ubiquitous Vince de Rosa on horn and Dennis Budimir on guitar.  A lot of these names are very familiar to John Williams fans, or at least those of us who hang on every word in the liner notes!

4 hours ago, Richard said:

Another cue that I like is the music that is playing on the kid's headphones, in TTI. Is there a name for this cue, and does anyone know who played on it - especially the Hammond?

Again I cannot help you with the cue title, but Ralph Grierson, Mike Lang and Artie Kane all played keyboards on The Towering Inferno so it might have been one of those gentlemen on the hammond organ.

I will be of no help when it comes to musicians, but at the next available opportunity, I will at the very least list some of my favourite JW source cues (that have had a commercial release). :)

18 hours ago, Alex said:

Question about source cues: Did JW write the mariachi music at the end of "The Journey to Akator"?

The original title for that cue is Homage à Maxie - I assume Spielberg temp-tracked it with Max Steiner's barbershop source cue in Treasure of the Sierra Madre. Nice little reference. :) 

At the moment, my favorite would have to be "Inside Dr. Know" from A.I.

2nd favorite: "Market Source" from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

3rd favorite: unreleased sail barge music from Return of the Jedi