Rogue One fan-edited with classic JW cues

aviazn

I don't know who did this, but they're not that bad.

I know it's just a fun exercise, but I'll be honest—my heart soared a little bit when Here They Come started pounding over the Scarif space battle.

while tracking would never fit the film, it really shows that if the score was an adaptation of williams material in its majority it would have been a very fun and definately starwarsy score.

Superman II got it... this one also could...

If giacchino's schedule had been even more tighter, i wouldnt had complained if the score turned out that way.... :P

Well...if only for the scariff battle.... there is enough battle music in the OT to score the whole battle and still sound fresh.

7 hours ago, Bryant Burnette said:

I'm very glad they didn't pull a Superman II on the movie.  I'd rather it have a dreadful original score -- which it doesn't -- than have regurgitated Williams.

as opposed to the regurgitated Williams/Star Trek which is does have?

17 minutes ago, MedigoScan said:

I said it before, I dont hear any star trek regurgitation in this score. I just hear a lot of MCs usual touches

MC... Michael Cchino? 

7 hours ago, Tom said:

as opposed to the regurgitated Williams/Star Trek which is does have?

It has very little of either.  I hear zero Star Trek and only an appropriate amount of Williams.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

I hear zero Star Trek in the 3 Star Trek scores he did!

I don't entirely agree, but I got a good laugh of that one.

The movies themselves aren't very Trek-y, so among the people getting the blame for that, Giacchino would be nowhere near the top of the list.

It's amazing how good Williams works are they they just fit right in (with a bit of video editing). At first I was like "why?" but then I watched and was impressed. Still enjoy th R1 score even if it's not a "traditional" Star Wars score but it fit the film pretty well.

Also, no thread on Star Wars Episode IX being bummed up to May 24, 2019 and Indiana Jones 5 confirmed for July 10, 2020?

For me, specially due to the tight schedule,  GIacchino should have scored this movie, creating the same new themes he did, but implementing and creating amazing battle music based on williams work, intertwining his new themes when the new characters do their things.

There is a lack of rebel fanfare use in this film battle scenes, and when he uses it, its a rendition, then its gone and just new material.

It great the score he did with so little time, but i think this anthology film specially, warranted a score much more connected to ANH. In other unrelated anthologies, a score like this would fit.

Williams did a (marvelous) rehash of Tie fighter attack in ROTJ, giacchino could have made a lenghty cue with it too.

@Luke Skywalker, I'm waiting for a Giacchino hater stop by to say, "Wait, I thought he already just copy/pasted Williams material?" ;)

It is indeed easy as a fan to hope for new arrangements of Williams music in these scores. But I think it's ultimately a good thing that Giacchino went for someone pretty original. Obviously it's stylistically very similar, at least superficially, but there are new themes and brand new action material. 

Ultimately I think that this was the right score for this film, given it being an anthology film but still extremely close to ANH. I hope that, whichever composer does Han Solo (probably Giacchino again), it branches out a little farther from Williams' OT style. If only so that I don't have to wade though dozens of pages of negativity next May. :P

I think Giacchino absolutely deserves to do Han Solo, in the sense that he did a terrific job on Rogue One (at least from my point of view!). He certainly didn't do anything to lose himself the job, and I think that's why it's likely he'll return. 

However, it would be a real missed opportunity if we didn't get to hear someone else's take on Star Wars. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, this full fan-edit that these clips belong to is out now. I came across this article about it on The Verge. https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/4/15542662/rogue-one-fan-edit-john-williams-michael-giacchino-watch

The reintroduction of John Williams’ classic score is the biggest change, and watching this fan edit, I’m astounded at how much Rogue One now feels as though it’s lacking. The classic cues perfectly supports the action, and they fill a huge emotional void that Giacchino’s just doesn’t cover. “When I dropped certain music tracks on top of scenes,” Lee explained, “it was surprising how little trimming I had to do at times. This makes me think the actual editors of Rogue One were cutting the film to these exact same tracks before Giacchino’s score was completed.”

The two clips he already posted contain most of the good stuff in terms of the JW-substitutions, but there is another 5 minute stretch where he just drops in Escape From Cloud City/Hyperspace and it matches perfectly, from K-2SO's death to Chirrut flipping the master switch with just a few microedits. And the music that accompanies Luke struggling on the wires matches with every time the action cuts back to Jyn and Cassian struggling in the file vault. Pretty cool, and I wouldn't be surprised if that was the temp track.