Will we get a "Duel of the Fates" sounding piece in Episode 8 or 9?

Jwfan2234

Even though Episode 7 had great music, the battle scenes were a bit disappointing. How cool would it be for the choir to come back for 8 or 9 and have a epic sounding piece! #epicfightmusic

I don't have any particular desire to see JW return to the choral battle music of the prequels. Duel of the Fates was a great unexpected surprise, and while it has some creative uses in the score, it isn't really a great narrative theme. It's just music for one particular sequence, mostly. Battle of the Heroes just sounds like George Lucas wanted more of the same but with a bit more reverence. As a stand alone piece of thematic music, I find it pretty unremarkable. 

I hope JW continues with themes that are used across the score instead of set piece themes as the big new music of the SW scores. Both Rey's Theme and Across the Stars are more interesting to me than DotF and BotH. 

4 hours ago, Jwfan2234 said:

Even though Episode 7 had great music, the battle scenes were a bit disappointing. How cool would it be for the choir to come back for 8 or 9 and have a epic sounding piece! #epicfightmusic

It all depends on your idea of what constitutes "epic" music. I thought the interplay between Rey's Theme and Kylo Ren's in The Ways of the Force and the frenetic and bold statements in Scherzo for X-Wings were great. It was a nice change-up from 90% of other action films that really try and kill you with how big, loud and over-the-top the choir and drums can be!

8+9 will have more or less the same action writing as 7, but hey, there's nothing to suggest Williams can't pull a trick or two out of his sleeve...

@mrbellamy We know for a fact there are extended cello solos throughout the score, including an amazing rendition of Rey's Theme performed by Daisy Ridley (photographic evidence of her attendance).

Also, that Gustavo Dudamel guest-conducted every cue except the opening and closing titles.

3 hours ago, I Need About Tree Fiddy said:

I think we'll get two great epic choral pieces. They'll be called... Wait for it... Dual of the Fates.

Or The Great Dual.

21 hours ago, crumbs said:

@mrbellamy We know for a fact there are extended cello solos throughout the score, including an amazing rendition of Rey's Theme performed by Daisy Ridley (photographic evidence of her attendance).

She plays cello too?

I think the syth choir during the Rey's Theme performance in the end credits is just to add a layer of texture. The syn choir doesn't really do anything besides underline the rest of the music. It's an interesting and subtle addition, and I don't think a real choir was needed there