So Indy 5 will be released in 2019. Do we really want it?

Josh500

Do you really want to see another Indy movie?   

41 members have voted

1. 1. Do you really want to see another Indy movie?

• Sure! Bring it on!
    • I'm undecided. I'll see it if it's released, but I'm not particularly crazy about it.
    • Noooo! Not another Indy movie (penned by Koepp)!

On March 15, 2016, Walt Disney Studios announced that the fifth film will be released on July 19, 2019, with Ford reprising his role, Spielberg directing, Koepp writing and Kennedy and Marshall acting as producers. George Lucas was initially not going to be involved with the film. However, during a press event for Disney's The BFG, Spielberg confirmed that Lucas will be returning as executive producer, stating "I would never make an Indiana Jones film without George Lucas. That'd be insane." Marshall has stated that the film would be a continuation of the events following Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. On June 9, 2016, Spielberg confirmed that John Williams will be returning to compose the score.

I actually just watched ROTLA for the first time recently, and I plan on watching the others soon; I suppose I'll watch the new one when it comes out.

2 minutes ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

Indiana Jones is one of those franchises where, good or bad, I'll take as much as I can get as long as Ford, Spielberg, and Williams are collectively behind the wheel.

Cough... and Lucas... cough...

I hope they bring back everyone from the last one, except for John Hurt, of course. Mac went to the space between spaces. Maybe's he's like some sort of lord of time now. Can't wait to see Mutt and Karen Allen again! That's gonna be great! It's gonna be great!

Just now, Godzilla said:

But if they make a new one, it won't fit into my existing Indy blu-ray box. It'll look out of place in my collection.

You should already have a space in your Blu-ray box from the fourth movie you were legally obligated to discard. 

10 minutes ago, Godzilla said:

But if they make a new one, it won't fit into my existing Indy blu-ray box. It'll look out of place in my collection.

I know not to watch any future Disney Star Wars movies because I already have The Complete Saga.

I would really prefer if there wasn't another Indy film. Especially since Harrison Ford isn't getting any younger.

Absolutely, bring it on! I've never understood the 'ageism' ordeal. For my part, they could do this to the day Ford dies (or untill he himself reaches the same age as "old Indy" in the YOUNG INDY series) -- it's only a matter of how they write the material.

6 minutes ago, Thor said:

Absolutely, bring it on! I've never understood the 'ageism' ordeal. For my part, they could do this to the day Ford dies (or untill he himself reaches the same age as "old Indy" in the YOUNG INDY series) -- it's only a matter of how they write the material.

Huh? When people get old, their joints fail, their ability to perform action is significantly reduced. Then it just becomes an ordeal to watch because you know their best days are behind them.

10 minutes ago, Godzilla said:

Huh? When people get old, their joints fail, their ability to perform action is significantly reduced. Then it just becomes an ordeal to watch because you know their best days are behind them.

I think that rather displays a lack of imagination on your part. First of all, Ford is in better shape now than most 30-40-year-olds (certainly better than me). Second, even if he weren't, you can do a number of things with CGI to make older people be more flexible. Superhero flexible would be bad, of course, but still flexible to work within this particular universe. Another alternative is, as Alex says, to have the character be more of a mentor or participator without all the physical stunts. In this scenario, someone younger could do the 'stunts' or the story could be less focussed on the physical, like a number of the YOUNG INDY episodes. Etcetera, etcetera.

I doubt we'll see another 5 INDY films with Ford, but a couple more is easily feasible before they reboot it or whatever.

44 minutes ago, Godzilla said:

Option one just plain sucks. Option two was already done in KotCS.

They're better off starting from scratch and hiring a new actor.

I'd be game for that too, but only when Ford has run his course, AND the new actor is portraying a different character within the same universe. Or another "Young Indy" actor/film/TV series. I'm a sucker for continuity that way. But I realize that at some point, they will inevitably reboot the whole thing.

At a certain point it isn't a matter of how fit Ford is. Thor's suggestion that they could make Indiana Jones till the day Ford dies would just be undignified for both the character and the actor. 

31 minutes ago, Godzilla said:

New actor playing Indy, new universe. Best course of action.

I'm on board with another actor playing a younger Indy, but keep it in the same universe.  Lots of territory to mine in the inter-war years.

No, I don't mean a very young Indy being tutored by Gandhi or fighting with Pancho Villa or any such nonsense. But maybe 10 year priors to Raiders younger.

6 hours ago, Incanus said:

I would really prefer if there wasn't another Indy film. Especially since Harrison Ford isn't getting any younger.

If they took the Unforgiven approach it could work great.

...in the hands of a competent writer, at least. Koepp gives me no cause for optimism here.

I've thought that. Make it like The Shootist, it probably work if done well. But that's also fundamentally changing what Indiana Jones is: an action hero. It'd be an entirely different beast to what came before in the trilogy, but not in a way which would feel new, fresh and necessary. It'd be retiring and probably poignant, which isn't how I would personally like to remember the character. Indiana Jones was never a character drama; it was a rollicking adventure! He rode off into the sunset to fight another day! That's what makes the character immortal. It'd be depressing to see him lean back into his rocking chair and reminisce about the good old days, about that one last job he did. Ugh, no thanks. 

Indy has settled into an academic role as the Dean, the Denholm Elliott/Jim Broadbent role, and gets pulled into another adventure by some irresistible archaeological mystery!