Sign in to follow this  
Richard

The SPORTS Thread.

I hate watching sports.

I run and cycle pretty regularly, although in the last few years I've cut the gym membership price and pretty much stayed inside from early November through early March, barring some outlier nice weather like my area had in February this year.  There's some loss of speed/endurance, but it actually picks back up to baseline faster than you'd expect.

I play a really informal three-on-three basketball tournament one week out of the year, and I'll casually play basketball or baseball/softball if I have enough people to play it with. 

As a kid, I played basketball in a recreational league throughout all of school.  I also played high school football for a year and hated it.

I like going to baseball games, and watching football games on TV if I'm watching it with friends.  Used to like watching Red Sox games when I had cable.

I don't play any sports other than disc golf, and I used to play dodgeball for a year and a half in my early 30s

35 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I bike about 40 km a day, but thats work. I watch the beautiful game.

Thats about it.

That's about 26 miles, isn't it? That's in total, I take it?

21 minutes ago, mstrox said:

foxy boxing?

:lol:

Soccer.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

You first.

Fair enough. I'll watch almost any sport, but I enjoy cycling, and walking. Actually, I'm not sure if walking is a sport, but...

I bike.  Used to play a bit of baseball and I can still enjoy watching it but I have no time for most else like basketball or football.  Utterly mind numbing shit, and the surrounding cultural hysteria is laughable.   

Women's rugby is a fun watch.  

1 hour ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

I bike.  Used to play a bit of baseball and I can still enjoy watching it but I have no time for most else like basketball or football.  Utterly mind numbing shit, and the surrounding cultural hysteria is laughable.   

Baseball has more than its fair share of stupid cultural hysteria.

5 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Don't call it that, Richard. You know better!

I called it soccer to differentiate it from American football.

It's short for Association Football, so what I said was true...from a certaint point of view.

1 minute ago, mstrox said:

I should clarify that my high school football experience was real football, with tackling and cheerleaders.

And marching bands!  I ignored many a football game sitting in the stands with my trumpet.

3 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I should clarify that my high school football experience was real football, with tackling and cheerleaders.

As far as I'm aware, Mike,

cheerleaders don't tackle.

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

And marching bands!  I ignored many a football game sitting in the stands with my trumpet.

I bet you blew your own trumpet, often :lol:

33 minutes ago, Richard said:

That was being shown at my local, today.

Let's face it, women's anything is fun to watch :)

It's a wonderful aphrodisiac.

41 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Baseball has more than its fair share of stupid cultural hysteria.

What can I say, it simply doesn't bug me as much as the constant presence on television of basketball and football games, press conferences, drafts, pregames, postgames... for fuck's sake!

39 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Nothing can quite match the exhilaration a marching band member feels when the school football team doesn't make playoffs.  

I played tennis in high school.  Was pretty good, too.  Varsity singles.

Played baseball until I was 14 but wasn't quite good enough to peruse it in high school, which is why I transitioned to tennis, since I was more skilled in that.  Kinda missed it though, was a decent second baseman, I was getting better every year.  Just didn't quite excel at it.

In terms of following sports, I watch baseball and ice hockey.

Anyone follow the ladies football? Euro Cup now and The Netherlands made the final. If we beat Denmark tonight I'll be there for the big official celebration tomorrow! Orange t-shirt and all!

Women rule!

Just now, Stefancos said:

Anyone follow the ladies football? Euro Cup now and The Netherlands made the final. If we beat Denmark tonight I'll be there for the big official celebration tomorrow! Orange t-shirt and all!

Women rule!

Tipp v Galway. All-Ireland semi final.... and you're talking about women's football!

FFS!

It was 68k in Croke Park today. 

Brilliant game if hurling but we lost by a single point. 

Sickened so I am. Don't know if we'll ever manage 2 in a row. 

We'll back next year though!

I'm going to the World Athletics Championships at the London Stadium in Stratford this evening.  Hoping to meet Hero the Hedgehog.

700036326CL00047_London_201.JPG

Which of the two Lauras (Laurae?), Muir or Weightman, should I cheer for in the women's 1500 metres final?

It was just a joke anyway.  I watch American college football.

I'm watching my team (Virginia Tech) play their season opener against West Virginia University tonight.  We'll probably lose.  West Virginia fans have a tradition of burning sofas when their team wins.  Probably because they're from West Virginia.

So you're a Hokie fan? I'm a Panthers alum. I see our teams will meet in Blacksburg in November. I wonder if our dominant streak will continue. The way we fell asleep yesterday in the second half against an FCS team and needed overtime tells me nothing. 

Heh heh, I have a lot of (playful) resentment towards Pitt going back to our Big East days.  The early 2000s was the peak of my fandom when I was going to every home game of the season, which is also when Pitt had a habit of stopping great Hokies seasons in their tracks!

I was happy to see y'all join the ACC though, even if we're 2-2 against you since you did.