What do you think about group scoring?

bollemanneke

10 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

I think most people do well enough with italics, quotes, exclamation points, general hyperbole etc. Besides that, tagging a little /s at the end of the post seems to get the job done for those who care about whether or not their post will read to the Thors of the world ;)

Anyway, I'm all for "group scoring" in the collaborative sense. A pop/rock band or an established duo like the Danna bros....I think I'm a little confused reading this thread but are there really arguments against that? I don't get it, especially if they're working cue-by-cue together. I'm guessing a singular vision would be harder to maintain and just plain inefficient writing for a 100-piece orchestra, though, as opposed to a 4-piece rock band or an all-electronics piece where the finished product is forming right in front of you. But like, Good Dinosaur was wonderful recently.

Ghostwriting obviously is a :down: and I don't really like the idea of any collaboration that takes the Oprah approach: "You get a cue, you get a cue, everybody gets a cue!!!" You'd be lucky to make it to a cohesive whole that way and it's not really a collaboration at all, unless I suppose you're constantly reconvening and swapping each other's work like some screenwriter partners who might each take a few scenes then regroup. But no idea how well that would work on a modern post-production schedule...definitely not for some kind of intricately leitmotivic and/or fully orchestral piece. I don't have that much insight into how the Dannas do it or like how Zimmer/JNH did the Batmans. Anybody?

I think it wholly depends on the project. Not much is known about the Dark Knight films, I don't think, but I know they worked separately for certain characters and themes. Howard very clearly wrote the Harvey Dent material whilst Hans wrote the Batman material. Some of the family motifs/Wayne manor material from Batman Begins is very much in Howard's style, as well.