A.I. Artificial Intelligence VS. Minority Report   

46 members have voted

1. 1. Which score do you prefer?

• A.I. Artificial Intelligence
    • Minority Report
  2. 2. Which movie do you prefer?

• A.I. Artificial Intelligence
    • Minority Report

Which score / movie do you prefer? And why?

I always thought of these movies as a "pair." Made by Spielberg back to back, both fantasy/sci-fi movies boast kick-ass great JW music. Both also take place in a distinctive and rather bleak future world, and both carry a deeper, somehow philosophical message about life on earth...

The perfect escape.

Score A.I. no doubt, but movie I'm actually not sure... I would say A.I. has a tremendous amount of brilliant scenes, a lot more than MR, but A.I. as a whole feels quite inconsistent. MR on the other hand is not as remarkable when it hits those sweet spots but feels more consistent, even if it suffers for that post-90's Spielberg syndrome of being more a collection of cool scenes than a cohesive whole. Both suffer from that, actually, but A.I. feels more personal and it hits a lot of subjects that feel close to me.

So.... I'm not sure.

Both are good films with quality scores.  But one score is John's ultimate musical achievement, and the other is not.  Similarly, one film had Kubrick's hands on it at one point, and the other didn't.

A.I. the film features some exceptionally bad performances for a Spielberg film. The actress who plays Monica is terrible. I also think David was cast too old, which is why the movie feels especially weird. Not to mention the embarrassing white trash Flesh Fair with a God awful metal band. I've told the story many times how on opening day, the projector stopped during the scene where David is talking to the big robot. Everyone was groaning and just wanted it to be over, myself included. That being said, there's some good stuff in there. It's not a total loss. For the first 40 minutes, it feels like an anthology film, with the story of the little boy robot, then the story of the sex robot. Well, that ends pretty quickly. I get that the whole idea of the 45 minute finale is that the only surviving thing on Earth is a robot boy built by humans to love. Kubrick didn't know how to do it and I'm not sure Spielberg did either.

Film: I prefer Minority Report (a solid action scifi film) but A.I is more ambitious.  

Score:  A.I easily, one of Williams' greatest scores, holds up better both in film and stand-alone (both the LLL complete set and the OST).  Minority Report as a listening experience has long stretches of boring and often too light and whimsical for the film (Eye-Dentiscan, Everybody Runs, Anderton's Great Escape)

This isn't even a competition for me.

A.I. -- both film and score -- is an unadulterated masterpiece, and if I were asked, I'd probably say that it's the greatest film AND score of the 21st century so far.

So hard to beat that. But still, MINORITY REPORT is a brilliant film and score, even if it isn't quite in the same league. Also, the two scores do share some stylistic similarities, of course -- especially the pulsating, rhytmical figures.

4 hours ago, I Need About Tree Fiddy said:

Where's the option for never seeing or hearing either? 

Agreed. It should by mandatory for every poll here to have an option hardcoded at the bottom just for Wojo, worded as "I need to tell you all I have never seen or heard it." 

A.I. the movie bores me to tears (even if it's gorgeous to look at), while Minority Report is a decently fun action thriller.

A.I. the score is far superior to Minority Report, though. It's a large, lushly orchestrated score that still manages to feel extremely intimate and emotional.

19 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Never seen A.I.

Really? Ooh er, missus! 

Not the comment I was expecting. It's, basically, SS working out his daddy-issues, in public - which he has been apt to do, ever since his "UFO movie". It's not much, but it's worth a watch.

A little less Spielberg, and a lot more Kubrick, would have gone a looooooong way.

Have you heard the score? THE MECHA WORLD is...(lost for words).

Best Score: A.I.

Best movie: I'm not a fan of either movie but I like the first act of A.I. and I still maintain the whole movie should have taken place in and around the apartment because that's where the content was quite interesting, namely, the complications of A.I. replacing humans. Act 2 feels like a different underdeveloped movie. Same for act 3.

Alex

I voted A.I. for score, Minority Report for movie.

I really love both scores and movies (I don't feel the need to put one down in order to praise the other), but A.I. is a masterpiece, not to put too fine a point on it. The whole score, and also the movie, feels like an exclusive piece of art. Especially Abandoned in the Woods, Monica's Theme, and the Mecca World are personal favorites of mine.

Minority Report is very good too, one of Spielberg's and Williams's best efforts. The score is 5 stars as well, but it doesn't quite reach the mastery of A.I. Minority Report the movie is, for me, simply more entertaining, watchable, and fun... Kinda like Total Recall if it was directed by Hitchcock and scored by Herrmann. 

A.I. for score, Minority for movie.

I think that Minority (when you understand it - took me a few viewings) is a solid thriller with a really interesting moral plot. A.I. didn't make that much of an impression on me.

Minority the score has a few really good themes and some decent action set-pieces, but outside that, has some of the dullest JW underscore I've ever heard.

2 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

A.I. both film and score by FAR!

You said it! Very few films and scores have managed to make such a profound impression on me since the year 2000! Great that A.I. is leading considerably in the score department, but interesting to see the divisive opinions on the film itself.

2 hours ago, Thor said:

You said it! Very few films and scores have managed to make such a profound impression on me since the year 2000! Great that A.I. is leading considerably in the score department, but interesting to see the divisive opinions on the film itself.

I think it's the last score of Williams (along with Harry Potter the same year), that I would give 10/10.

All the rest from then and on are lower for me..

7 hours ago, Richard said:

Have you heard the score? THE MECHA WORLD is...(lost for words).

I love it when Williams doesn't sound like typically Williams. The Mecha World is a good example. I wish he musically explores more often than he does.

16 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

I think it's the last score of Williams (along with Harry Potter the same year), that I would give 10/10.

All the rest from then and on are lower for me..

I'm inclined to agree, alhough HP3 is also a 10/10 for me, and something like MUNICH, GEISHA and CATCH are all 9/10. MINORITY REPORT would be a 8/10 for me.

For the films, A.I. by a landslide. It's Spielberg at his best, whereas I never cared for Minority Report. The only recognizably human character is Sydow's, by virtue of his onscreen persona and the gravitas he brings to any project. Everyone else remains a film noir archetype (i.e. the workaholic cop/detective with a tragic past--the role needed a more likeable actor than Cruise) or a grotesque that's seemingly walked off a Jean-Pierre Jeunet set. The film never manages to reconcile the goofiness of Spielberg's visual humour and the oddball characters with the mature themes that underlie it . And don't get me started on the schmaltzy ending with Samantha Morton and her precog siblings playing happy families. Over all Spielberg just isn't the right director to handle Philip K Dick.

With the scores it's a more even battle, but A.I. edges it out.

18 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

You should have included WotW either. I always considered them a trilogy of cold, more pessimistic Spielbergs.

And all scores have that cool choir-like synth.

Good idea.

Films:

MR

AI

WWW - , still a quality suspense movie despite some weak characters and a bad ending , great buildup and set-pieces

Scores:

AI

WWW -MR has greater highlights on album but this is much better suited to the dark apocalyptic atmosphere its film (whereas MR feels a bit like a square peg in a round hole).

MR

8 hours ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

A.I. the movie bores me to tears (even if it's gorgeous to look at), while Minority Report is a decently fun action thriller.

A.I. the score is far superior to Minority Report, though. It's a large, lushly orchestrated score that still manages to feel extremely intimate and emotional.

This.

12 minutes ago, Thor said:

COME ON, fellow A.I. lovers! Vote for the best film of the 21st century already!

A.I. is fascinating to me mostly as a Spielberg-as-auteur obsessive.  I would never in a million years call it the best film of the century so far.

11 minutes ago, nightscape94 said:

A.I. is already a forgotten Spielberg film, and rightly so.  It's a mess that doesn't work even on a story level.

Oh, no, A.I. is almost treated as a cult movie.

1 hour ago, nightscape94 said:

A.I. is already a forgotten Spielberg film, and rightly so.  It's a mess that doesn't work even on a story level.

Quite the contrary, over the last decade or so it's been embraced as the misunderstood masterpiece that it is. Most of the 'cineastes' I hang with -- even the Spielberg critics -- seem to like it now. And it's been the object of many an analysis in both academia and elsewhere. That's my experience, anyway.

3 minutes ago, Thor said:

Quite the contrary, over the last decade or so it's been embraced as the misunderstood masterpiece that it is. Most of the 'cineastes' I hang with -- even the Spielberg critics -- seem to like it now. And it's been the object of many an analysis in both academia and elsewhere. That's my experience, anyway.

I highly recommend this essay that appeared in the magazine Film Quarterly. Very perceptive take on the film:

http://www.thepaincomics.com/A.I.pdf

3 hours ago, Thor said:

Damn, MINORTY REPORT has overtaken A.I. in the film poll. 

COME ON, fellow A.I. lovers! Vote for the best film of the 21st century already!

I still need to reappraise both of them, having only seen them once, during their original run.