46 members have voted

1. 1. Which score do you prefer?

• A.I. Artificial Intelligence
    • Minority Report
  2. 2. Which movie do you prefer?

• A.I. Artificial Intelligence
    • Minority Report

23 hours ago, publicist said:

Though i found especially that element seriously lacking in the Rouge City segment.

You know, I don't disagree. I actually like the brief shots along the highway though while Joe is convincing the kids to give them a ride.  I get that feeling there. 

The ride into the tunnels is fine. But since the movie lost me during the flesh fair and only got me back in at the NYC submerged segment it didn't make much of a difference. Especially during that segment i became sad that Spielberg didn't make a great movie within that scenery alone. It's imho the strongest in terms of style and feeling it evokes. Like Alex said, 'AI', the story of the movie per se, should have mainly stayed at the parent's house.

I always wondered what would happen if David, after trial and error, finally succeeded to win the hearts of his 'parents'. What would happen if he truly becomes their flesh and blood, and then, at the end of the movie, the real son (who we completely forgot about) suddenly returns home? Will they still love David like a son, or was he nothing more than an expensive temporary diversion? The movie would end with that question. What makes us human?

It would scale down the philosophical heights the story (and watchers attracted by this) loves to pretend. There's nothing better than images of worlds falling apart to pump up with MEANING a question that really isn't that fascinating to begin with (at least not framed in a robot boy story). I think your version - probably not over 90, 100 minutes - would make for a more fitting evaluation of it.

Sure, it would become BICENTENNIAL MAN or something.....

No, quite the contrary to what publicist somewhat cheekily says, there is nothing more rewarding than having complex philosophical issues communicated (mostly) through images and sound, beneath a more streamlined "surface story". EX MACHINA was a brilliant example of this two years ago, but A.I. remains the ultimate example since 2000.

Asimov's The Bicentennial Man is one of the best things I've ever read on the subject. It's why I refused to watch the movie with Robin Williams. 'What makes us human' is the most fundamental question in science and philosophy. Sadly most science fiction movies are about explosions, chases and defeating the villain. If A.I. is the ultimate example of the last two decades then it's because the competition was scarce. ;)

Alex

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

Asimov's The Bicentennial Man is one of the best things I've ever read on the subject. It's why I refused to watch the movie with Robin Williams. 'What makes us human' is the most fundamental question in science and philosophy. Sadly most science fiction movies are about explosions, chases and defeating the villain. If A.I. is the ultimate example of the last two decades then it's because the competition was scarce. ;)

Alex

If by 'scarce' you mean films at the same level of quality regarding the subject matter, I agree. But there has been no shortage of A.I.-themed movies and TV shows in the last two decades. And especially recently, it's become a TREND. Some of them good, some of them less so. None of them close to A.I..

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

If A.I. is the ultimate example of the last two decades then it's because the competition was scarce. ;)

It will remain and interesting failure but for Spielberg to even approach such heady subject in a big-budget movie is a commendable move. After all he could have rested on 'Jurassic Park' sequels for the rest of his life.

Quite the contrary, it has grown tremendously in appreciation over the last decade and a half, and will continue to grow untill it's rightfully hailed as the masterpiece that it is; and one of Spielberg's best films.

10 minutes ago, publicist said:

It's happening in this internet world of yours only. 

It's happening in academia, it's happening among film critics (even Spielberg critics!), and it's happening in the population in general.

A.I. is quite simply one of Spielberg's masterpieces.

Misunderstood, clearly, based on some of the commentary you read. Just like the embarrassing complaints that "aliens" turn up at the end and save David -- pay attention!

If you say so. I only ever read about this here - there's a thriving film community (incl. filmmakers and academia) in Berlin and i never heard 'A. I.' mentioned as anything anyone had a prolonged interest in. Many people have seen it at some point and that's about it. 

It's raved about amongst my circle of "elitist" film snobs in Australia, so maybe it's a cultural thing.

The funniest thing is how many people walked out citing the "Spielbergian, saccharine happy ending." They could not be further from the truth; the ending of A.I. is one of the most depressing, pessimistic endings Spielberg has ever finished with (if you believe the theories, some would argue he topped it with Minority Report).

7 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Scott's Prometheus is probably the other movie that is being endlessly discussed in academic circles. ;)

Pfft, nobody raves about Prometheus, but the negative hyperbole around it is obviously overstated and deserves to be called out. Go watch a few Adam Sandler products or Transformers 26 and you'll get some perspective. Prometheus might not be flawless but the craft and artistry behind that film is undeniable.

I think that's a bit of a simplistic reading - and not of Spielberg's movie but of people's reactions. Knowing Spielberg's penchant for catharsis and Williams' own reading of the scene (he told Jeff Bond so in an interview round 2002) i am afraid that 'not be further from the truth' might backfire. But even if it is all true it hardly is the audience's fault if a filmmaker isn't clearly communicating what he wants to say. And if Spielberg, not the most intellectual of filmmakers, films a scene that looks like a commercial and graces it with a sweet unambigious musical cantilena on the soundtrack it's hard to find much evidence for all this supposed bleakness.

5 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Is the ending of A.I. really so sad? Future A.I. learns more about man and early A.I. from archaeological discovery.

You're one cold son-of-a-bitch, Alex! ;)

Yes, it's very moving, although the most moving sequence, to me, is the abandonment scene in the woods. Gets me every time, and I've seen the movie at least 30 times now.

I just found it frustratingly illogical why Monica didn't just take David back to Cybertronics unless she lost the receipt or the love code thing voided the warranty. Were money-back guarantees out of fashion in the A.I. future?

3 hours ago, Godzilla said:

I just found it frustratingly illogical why Monica didn't just take David back to Cybertronics unless she lost the receipt or the love code thing voided the warranty. Were money-back guarantees out of fashion in the A.I. future?

Uh.... Because she knew that David would be destroyed if she brought it back to Cybertronics?

This is stated clearly in the movie.

she does the same to david as some people do to pets. They dont want them anymore, but the little love they have for them prevents them to put the pet to sleep so they just abandon them in the woods.

8 hours ago, Godzilla said:

Obviously she couldn't wait to get rid of it, so may as well return it. It was good for spare parts at least.

Your inability to see the love that Monica had for David implies to me that you're a robot yourself. Please, someone insert Godzilla's bonding code already! ;)

24 minutes ago, Thor said:

Your inability to see the love that Monica had for David implies to me that you're a robot yourself. Please, someone insert Godzilla's bonding code already! ;)

She loves him, so she dumps him. Typical woman.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

I've found that many people are incapable of understanding the deeper meaning of the movie.

I think that's one reason why the movie didn't succeed at the box office.

5 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

I've found that many people are incapable of understanding the deeper meaning of the movie.

I think that's one reason why the movie didn't succeed at the box office.

I understand what the movie's attempting to achieve, but it ends up being a house of cards.

16 hours ago, Godzilla said:

I understand what the movie's attempting to achieve, but it ends up being a house of cards.

Well, same difference.

In the end, you didn't appreciate (get) what Spielberg/Kubrick was trying to tell us.

Boy Drax, you have a hard time understanding some basic concepts that are in some movies.

The movie makes it clear that Cybertronics would destroy him if she brought it there, and she couldn't bear to suffer that so she left him in the woods to have a shot at a different life instead.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Boy Drax, you have a hard time understanding some basic concepts that are in some movies.

The movie makes it clear that Cybertronics would destroy him if she brought it there, and she couldn't bear to suffer that so she left him in the woods to have a shot at a different life instead.

Drax? You mean Godzilla? Or is it the same guy?

In either case, I think he was just 'having a laugh'.

5 hours ago, Jay said:

But I don't buy it at all that she even cares. Her actions later remind me of someone dumping a body to dispose of evidence.

The other disjointed element in all this is the scene where William Hurt tells his staff that David's on his way after all the clues he supposedly planted, somehow knowing for certain they'll be found. That was a stretch! And it doesn't look like they're waiting for him to destroy him! All Monica had to do was give them a phone call to find out what was going on with this broken thing!

8 hours ago, Godzilla said:

But I don't buy it at all that she even cares. Her actions later remind me of someone dumping a body to dispose of evidence.

Actually, her actions are similar to a person leaving behind a cat or dog in a park or forest because they feel they can't take care of it. We see the same scene in Disney's The Fox And The Hound.

tumblr_m2upj6B7Eo1ql5an1o1_500.gif

7 hours ago, Godzilla said:

The other disjointed element in all this is the scene where William Hurt tells his staff that David's on his way after all the clues he supposedly planted, somehow knowing for certain they'll be found. That was a stretch! And it doesn't look like they're waiting for him to destroy him! All Monica had to do was give them a phone call to find out what was going on with this broken thing!

Perhaps it's a stretch, but it's a basic literary device that goes to the core of the film -- that it's a 'coming-of-age' journey in which David not only grows up, but becomes more human after every ordeal. There wouldn't be much of a story if Monica just gave William Hurt a call (and how would she know about him, anyway?).

2 hours ago, Thor said:

Perhaps it's a stretch, but it's a basic literary device that goes to the core of the film -- that it's a 'coming-of-age' journey in which David not only grows up, but becomes more human after every ordeal. There wouldn't be much of a story if Monica just gave William Hurt a call (and how would she know about him, anyway?).

Cybertronics Receptionist: You've reached the Cybertronics hotline. How may I help you?

Monica: Uh, hi. My name is Monica. My husband purchased a child mecha from your organisation.

Receptionist: Yes, what seems to be the problem?

Monica: Well I don't think it's working properly, so I was wondering if I could speak to someone technical who could help?

Receptionist: Of course! I can put you through to a representative from our troubleshooting team. They can talk you through the problem. If you have any further issues with the unit, please bring it in and we can investigate any faultiness in the product.

Monica: Thank you so much!

~~~~~~~~~

That wasn't so hard, was it?

5 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Actually, her actions are similar to a person leaving behind a cat or dog in a park or forest because they feel they can't take care of it. We see the same scene in Disney's The Fox And The Hound.

tumblr_m2upj6B7Eo1ql5an1o1_500.gif

Yes.

"Abandoned in the Woods"... JW perfectly gets it. This track is one of the most fascinating and memorable pieces in JW's career, I think. 

It expresses and perfectly captures the sense of loneliness, cheated fury, rage, jealousy, cruelty, and... Well, abandonment.

On 5/1/2017 at 9:10 PM, Godzilla said:

She doesn't have any actions later, the woods is the last time we see her.  The scene at the end is the future robot's interpretation of what she would do.

The other disjointed element in all this is the scene where William Hurt tells his staff that David's on his way after all the clues he supposedly planted, somehow knowing for certain they'll be found. That was a stretch!

No it isn't.  He's a robot. They know how he'll act.

And it doesn't look like they're waiting for him to destroy him!

They weren't.

On 5/2/2017 at 9:19 AM, Josh500 said:

"Abandoned in the Woods"... JW perfectly gets it. This track is one of the most fascinating and memorable pieces in JW's career, I think. 

It expresses and perfectly captures the sense of loneliness, cheated fury, rage, jealousy, cruelty, and... Well, abandonment.

Totally agreed!

4 hours ago, Jay said:

She doesn't have any actions later, the woods is the last time we see her.  The scene at the end is the future robot's interpretation of what she would do.

You misinterpreted me. By "later", her dumping him in the woods scene is what I meant.

7 hours ago, Jay said:

No it isn't.  He's a robot. They know how he'll act.

I will not accept this!

I always found this part contrived. "Doctor Know told you what you needed to know!" Huh? What if they never went to Doctor Know? It all depended on him going to this Google machine because a sex robot told him to? What if they ran into a hooker who said she'd be his Blue Fairy, but her pimp showed up and blew David away with a laser gun?